15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

'85 F150 Bench Seat

rshemmy
Hello all.

I have a quick question.

Would it be easier/cheaper to get someone to reupholster my bench seat, which is completely teared up on the drivers side, or to buy a new bench seat for $285? And excuse me because my truck is in the workshop right now and I'm not totally sure when it will be back, so I would not be able to obtain any photos of the truck ATM.

I would appreciate all feedback. Thank you.

https://www.stockinteriors.com/SeatUpholstery.asp?Itemid=23270

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: '85 F150 Bench Seat

Pete Whitstone
I just paid $480 to have my seat recovered in vinyl by an upholstery shop. I did see seat covers on eBay for about 170, and considered those. They appeared to be the slip on kind, not the replacement kind. If you can buy a new bench seat, with new upholstery, for 285, I’d say that’s the deal.
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
92 F150 RCLB 351W E40D BW1356 mostly stock
Reply | Threaded
|

rshemmy
“Item Details
This Ford Full Size Standard Cab Truck Upholstery set is a high quality product following the factory sewing pattern and factory attachment points. Made in the Material of your choice. Includes instructions, hog rings and hog ring pliers. Requires physical seat be removed from vehicle, old upholstery removed and new upholstery installed. This is replacement seat upholstery; not slip on seat covers.”

As you see above the website says it is a full bench seat.

I appreciate the feedback and will take it into consideration.
Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
That is an upholstery set as opposed to a slip on seat cover and not a new complete bench seat. What I did on my truck was replace my seat with a bench seat from a 1990 model or there abouts F150 that has the fold down arm rests and adjustable head rests. It sits much better than the seat that came in my truck new, even when it was a new seat. It cost me $100 dollars and that was money well spent in my opinion.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
In reply to this post by rshemmy
This is JUST the upholstery KIT.  Not the whole seat.   YOu will have to pay someone to install it if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself.   And that's not going to include any foam to fix that if it needs it.   When I priced having my seat redone, without seeing it, two places quoted 400 - 600 to re do the upholstery and some foam repair.   There are no good kits and whole seats are high.   Click the "READ INSTRUCTIONS" and see if this si something you feel comfortable with and decide if your seat foam is good enough to cover or is going to need more work.

You can always get a saddle blanket or other cover and cover it for a while as you decide which way to go.   IF you use extra clips - like those black office clips, and the straps included, a saddle blanket cover can look pretty good and pretty snug.   You can find foam to carve to go in place under that and kinda rebuild it that way til you know for sure what to do.  

IF you haven't already, you may want to start a spreadsheet or list of things you need to do and start prioritizing.   I have a sheet on mine that shows how much I spent on each part. On things I haven't bought yet, I keep track of prices I've found and links and such.  
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

rshemmy
Okay, that really clears things up.

Thank you for the feedback everyone.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Located in PA, just for comparison...

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/yhcAAOSw7W1bqPrx/s-l1600.jpg

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I like that seat.  But I think you put the wrong link in, David.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
That is the same seat that I put in my truck and it is VERY comfortable.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
I like that seat.  But I think you put the wrong link in, David.
I like the seat too, if only I could find one without head rests.  Im working on a truck at work they had the front driver side of the bench seat, the bolster on the front side they sewn in two elastic pockets.  Im thinking about having that done on my seat to give me a space to throw my wallet and other items that I carry that can be a hinder for a long drive.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

rshemmy
Thank you for posting this. I was looking for upholstery that was in a similar blue color and from the same year. I'm going to get an estimate on how much it will be to get it reupholstered and move on from there.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
A kit is nice and as pointed out dose not have the foam.

The other thing is what shape are the springs on your seat?
The bench seat I pulled from my truck besides the foam not there and all ripped up the springs were broken too. So if I was to get a kit & foam there was nothing to support it as it would fall right through to the floor under the seat.

I was lucky my parts truck seat only had 1 small rip but in good shape other wise I used it along with everything else from inside the truck to fix mine up.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
FuzzFace2 wrote
A kit is nice and as pointed out dose not have the foam.

The other thing is what shape are the springs on your seat?
The bench seat I pulled from my truck besides the foam not there and all ripped up the springs were broken too. So if I was to get a kit & foam there was nothing to support it as it would fall right through to the floor under the seat.

I was lucky my parts truck seat only had 1 small rip but in good shape other wise I used it along with everything else from inside the truck to fix mine up.
Dave ----
Seems like the foam and springs are a pita to locate too.

I was piecing the pieces together as I was going to buy a junkyard seat and then rebuild it all new but the foam I was only able to find was for the back rest, no foam for the bottom.  Then springs I couldnt find anything listed for them.  Might be one of those things you have to get generic springs that the upholstry shop has access to.

For me I didnt want to buy a upholstry kit as I wouldnt be using the fabric/vinyl from the kit.  I was going to have a local shop cover the seat for me in cobalt blue leather in a OE style pattern for something custom but OE looking.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

rshemmy
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
I will have to inspect everything once the truck gets back.

Thanks for the feedback.