'85 4.9 WITH ALL emissions equip vac routing RESOLVED (mostly)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
47 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

'85 4.9 WITH ALL emissions equip vac routing RESOLVED (mostly)

TheGeneral
This post was updated on .
Welp either the way it was set up before I took my vacuum lines apart for manifold gasket was wrong (I took pics, labeled as best as possible, etc), or I am terrible at diagrams.  Or both.  While the General runs and drives, has power, etc, there is major bucking, tossing, etc at idle (neutral). Definitely seems like I got something wrong.  (Everything on manifolds, carb base, nice and tight)

I do have the factory sticker diagram but the colors are faded and it seemed to be a strange reflection of what I actually have under my hood.  Most of it seemed the same but....  I am so confused now.  Truck, you are breakin my heart!  

I have looked and looked online, in my Chiltons, and through both forums and while there is a lot of info for people who REMOVED their emissions equipment OR have a slightly earlier (or later) 4.9, the best I can find for my truck (1985 4.9 2wd manual, all smog equipment intact and most of it already replaced in my efforts to pass smog, which I did--and professionally rebuilt Carter carb) is, ....the exact same diagram as on my truck, but with the colors not faded.  

Did I overlook an important post somewhere?  Does anyone have this exact setup (California) that could snap a couple quick pics?  

I am going to have to take it in to a shop otherwise, and based on my experience with shops so far, I have little confidence in finding someone who won't BS me, mess it up worse, or just plain waste my time and money.  I swear I would drive 500 miles to get to someone who REALLY actually knew this truck, instead of knowing ....a few things here and there.   I am doing my best and it's just not really good enough.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: '85 4.9 WITH ALL emissions equip vac routing?....sigh

mat in tn
 as many here I'm sure, I understand the frustration of it not going as planned or hoped. take a break and a breath. as in every case. we end up looking at it like a fresh diagnosis and prove the essentials. then look at the symptoms etc.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by TheGeneral
I just sent you an email, if you have the code number for the label it will help.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Do you have a calibration code sticker on your valve cover or somewhere?  It would be like the one shown below.

If you do have, or if we can figure it out, I have the vacuum routing info.  But since there are 7 different calibration codes for a 4.9L in 1985 we need to figure out which one you have.

For instance, here's the info for 9-77J-R12, only I have it in paper form so can get it much sharper if needed:

And then here's the parts list for that calibration:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

TheGeneral
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
If the Code label is at the bottom left then it is as follows:

E5AE-9C485-CLH

Reply | Threaded
|

TheGeneral

My sticker does not have a calibration number above it.  Not sure where else to look...it's not inside the door frame by the GWR sticker either...
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
E5AE-9C485-CLH is the part number for a blank sticker.  

But that sticker is not the calibration sticker.  As said, if you have one it'll be on the valve cover.

If you don't have one then tomorrow I'll scan all 7 of the pages like the one above and you can compare the vacuum routing diagrams to yours.  When you find a match we are basically home as then we'll know all the details.

Or, if your distributor is original and has a tag on I can find that number.  Or if the carb is original and has the tag.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

TheGeneral

Reply | Threaded
|

TheGeneral
I see.  Yeah the valve cover sticker was long gone when I got the truck.  

Distributor is new, carb is original but I am unsure if it still has a tag.  I'll go check.

So, what does the metal painted tag above the engine refer to, then?   Useless gibberish to my untrained eye haha!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That is a "buck" tag and was used on several pieces to bring them together on the assembly line.  Beds, cabs, and some radiator supports had them.  And I don't know how to decode them.

Tomorrow I'll scan in the other 6 of the pages and post them so you can compare the vacuum diagrams to yours.  You should find a match.

Reply | Threaded
|

TheGeneral
no carb tab either, but there is a number on the base below adjuster screws = 7655S, and 8603 and a 111 over by the throttle position sensor.   I am guessing those are just for the base components?
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I'm very glad that all of the doc's are available and the help is there to get it sorted out correctly. but is anyone thinking through the diagnosis? it runs and has power but idles very rough is what i understood. i certainly hope it's a simple confusion of vac lines. still let's back up to step one. it runs so i would start by capping every vac line and be a simple engine. fuel, fire, and compression. start it and verify timing. how does it run in this condition? Cap even the brake booster port. it is entirely possible for a vacuum leak to be in a vacuum controlled device nowhere near the engine. the hvac vacuum switch for one, brake booster for another. just two examples.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator

Here's what I have show as "all" for 1985 300 engines.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
7655S is the Carter model number for the carburetor.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by mat in tn
Matt - You are right, just knowing the proper vacuum routing is not necessarily going to fix it.  And your approach of capping everything would probably get it running correctly.  But, then he'll need to know how to connect things back, and that's where the documentation comes into play.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
If he has the vacuum line routing as shown on his sticker

Then why cant he follow it? Even if the colors are faded he should still be able to follow where they go and make sure they are hooked to the right places no?
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by mat in tn
Actually, Matt, my first thing to look at on a rough running 300 is the actual carburetor as the harmonic vibrations on these will shake the carburetor apart. Start with the bottom joint in that Carter YFA as if it gets loose you get an air leak into the idle circuit and loss of the vacuum signal to the metering rod diaphragm.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

TheGeneral
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
1.)  Because I am only about 85% certain that I am reading it correctly....

2.) "she" lol

3.) based on Model Application code info page I believe my calibration code is F150 - - 2/W/D—M/T—Calif. 4-51S-R02 392

(1985 4.9, 2WD, Manual transmission, California)

4.)  Matt in Tn, you are right, a more thorough troubleshooting diagnosis would be helpful but I am not going to make things worse for myself by unplugging everything at once.  Now, it is possible that an unseen line crack developed somewhere as a result of taking it apart etc, but the reason I think it is likely a mistake on my part is that if the manifold leak(s) are now gone (they are) and nothing else has changed, then it should be running better, not worse.  

Reply | Threaded
|

TheGeneral
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
I have double checked the carb flange, new gasket, it's tight and the base below is tight too.  Although the carb is hissing like a snake out the top, also a new development.  

I am in far Northern CA, on the coast, only an hour from the Oregon border.  If anyone has a shop recommendation within a couple hundred miles I would jump on it.  
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
hissing like a snake! awesome. that's a good sign. do you have a vacuum gauge? hooking that to an intake vacuum port will give you intake vacuum and then you can possibly tune the carb with that info. if you have no vacuum leaks you should see 17-21in of mercury (hg) on the vacuum gauge. hissing strongly tells me that there is likely no vacuum leaks at the work you have already done. you are making positive steps. hissing strongly also tells me that it is now a little rich as there is enough fuel to make a good fire, throttle response is probably good too. if the carb had been attempted to be tuned to a previously existing vacuum leak that is what i would expect.