10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

82 - 250 351w 5.8l 2wd Manual

Wonderglow
This post was updated on .
Hello All-

I am looking into replacing my 16 (or maybe it’s 19?) gal front fuel tank which is the only one on this truck. What additional parts do I need to order? Thinking sending unit but is there anything else I need to replace while I’m at it? Is it possible to replace with the 19gal easily if it is the 16 gal? Thanks for the help!

Also need to replace my carburetor. I currently have the Holley 4412. Is there a better option that doesn’t require modifications or should I just replace it with the same model?
Chris:
Human

Betty:
82 F-250 LB Single Cab 351w Manual 2wd
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 82 - 250 351w 5.8l 2wd Manual

Wonderglow
Lastly, I forgot to ask- what are the different lengths for short bed and long bed. I’m not sure which one I have.
Chris:
Human

Betty:
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Hi. Long bed is 8ft.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Wonderglow
Welcome to the Bullnose Forum!  Glad you joined.  

You probably missed the email I sent you last night asking you to go to the New Members Start Here folder, read the guidelines, and then introduce yourself in a new thread there.  And after that you'd be free to start a thread in the main section - like you've done.  The reason for asking that of you is because we keep the guidelines in the NMSH folder and want everyone to have the chance to read them as we hold all members to them.

It isn't critical that you've not followed the directions as our joining process is broken and that happens with many new members.  But please assure me that you have read the guidelines.  And it would be helpful if you told us more about yourself as we are a community and like to get to know each other.

Once you've done that I'll dive into the fuel system suggestions.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Wonderglow
Thank you for setting me straight on this, Gary. I do apologize for the false start!
Chris:
Human

Betty:
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No prob, Chris.  It happens.

On the tank, I'm not sure how easy it is to change from one size side tank to another as I've not done it.  But I think it is easy.  As for the sending unit, if it is working I'd use it again.  That's 'cause the replacements frequently have problems.

But check the hoses, meaning the one from the tank to the hard line on the rail as well as the one from the hard line to the pump.  The rubber wasn't designed for ethanol in the gas and that tends to soften them to the point they can leak - fuel out and air in.  That kills the vacuum of the pump and the engine stops running.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Wonderglow
I’ll check into the hoses ASAP. Unfortunately most of the gauges on the dash aren’t working (temp/gas/etc) I know it may be the connector on the back of the dash or one under the hood. So I’m not sure if sending unit is working or not. It’s  currently in the shop because I’d rather have the mechanic replace the tank. I’ve ordered a new carb to replace the current Holley 4412 and went with the same model. Is there a difference on the sending units brand wise? I’d like to go ahead and replace it while the tank is down but definitely want one that hopefully won’t fail down the line. Also is there any way to tell what size tank I have based on visual inspection?
Chris:
Human

Betty:
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As you can see on our page at Documentation/Fuel Systems/Fuel System Part #'s/Fuel Tanks your 1982 long bed (133" wheelbase) should have a 19 gallon midship, aka front, tank.  Note that it says it has a "2 1/2" dia. fuel sender access hole".  That's key because in '85 the hole went to 4" to allow the fuel pump to be put in the tank.

Then if you go to the page at Documentation/Fuel Systems/Fuel System Part #'s/Fuel Senders & Pumps you'll find a table that includes the one below, which says you need Ford Part # E0TZ 9275-G.  But those may be extremely hard to find, so you'll probably go with an aftermarket brand.  I'd recommend that you use the Rock Auto catalog to find what you need.  However, I'm not saying you should buy from RA as that can be problematic.  Returns can be difficult to do.  But their catalog is the best out there.

In my case I was able to find the Spectra part number that way and then found a tank and sending unit together on Amazon for a very good price.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
On the gauges, you need to do some troubleshooting to figure out what the issue(s) is.  If you have full gauges for oil pressure, water temp, and ammeter then it could be the connector on the back of the gauge cluster, as you said.  But, that connector rarely fails.  And the other common denominator for those three gauges is the instrument cluster voltage regulator - ICVR.

Go to Documentation/Electrical/Gauges and then the Troubleshooting tab for a discussion on how to work through that.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Ok it is easy to tell or know what front or side tank you have on your truck.
Short bed (6.5 foot long) only uses the 16 gallon tank and no you can not install a 19 gallon tank in its place as it will not fit, I tried

Long bed (8 foot long) only used the 19 gallon tank.

All rear tanks from the factory were 19 gallons.

Style side trucks could have dual tanks, both short & long beds.
Flare sides were only short beds and only came with the 16 gallon front tank, no rear tank from the factory.

Now for the even easier part you have a 82 F250 truck and unless someone made a custom, all F250 trucks were long beds with a 19 gallon tank.

As for other parts replace the rubber fuel & vent line to the tank.
I would also replace the roll over valve & rubber grommet as the nipple may break when trying to get the hose off.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100