81 interior hood lever mount

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

81 interior hood lever mount

delco1946
 So I finally got around to looking out why my hood release handle came à la cart with the truck, and it’s because the metal mount that the handle resides is damaged and actually appears to be broken. Rather than try to finagle something that will work poorly I would rather just buy a nice working one.  It’s a locking handle from the security option, but like I said I have the locking handle piece I just need the metal mount that it slides into which I think would be universal for any early 80s truck.  Currently I’ve just been using pliers to pull on the end of the metal cable in the mount to pop my hood but that’s feeling a little trashy ha ha.
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 81 interior hood lever mount

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Delco - I hope to look tomorrow to see what I have.  If you don't get a reply from my by noon, please remind me.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by delco1946
Delco - Unfortunately the non-locking hood releases are made of plastic and don't have the same metal piece.  And I have plans to use the one on the right below.  But, I'm happy to send you the one on the left, that doesn't have a handle, if you can figure out how to use the plate on it to fix yours.

Otherwise I think you'll have to get another locking handle or downgrade to a non-locking one.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Your best bet is to just downgrade to the basic handle. As cool as the locking handles are, yours is worthless without the top piece and used ones on Ebay go anywhere from $100-$300. They're really not worth that kind of money.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
I found the outer shell/ holder piece for a few bucks at the JY! It’s a snug fit so I’m sand it a bit but it should work! I had never paid attn to what the plastic ones look like, I don’t like them nearly as much so I’m gonna find a way come hell or high water to make this one work!
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cool!  Glad you found one to fix that problem.  

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I repaired the one in my old truck using the non-locking version. If I remember correctly, I cut away the plastic on the non-locking version, and then cut and ground down the metal part of the handle until it was the approximate size of a ferrule. Drilling out the rivets on the locking model revealed a recess where the "ferrule" sat inside the handle. I put the ferrele in the recess and then joined the two halves together with small locking nuts and bolts and had a working locking hood release.
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Took two days of on again off again sanding but I got it! It’s installed and operational. Got my stubbornness from my grandad lol.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cool!  As persnickety as these trucks are, it is good to be stubborn to match them.