classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
899 messages Options
1 ... 24252627282930 ... 45
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

FuzzFace2
After the clutch linkage fix I moved onto the brake issue.
Changed out the booster and master bled the brakes looked over everything and the pedal is still low and mushy and will not pump up.

Going to try and bleed them with the motor running in the morning and hope that helps.
I also have a post started of the brakes to see if someone can come up with something I missed.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Well after playing with the brakes again and failing to get a good pedal, it stops, will not lock up, feels mushy and low pedal, I figured that is the best it will be for this trip to the show.
Wife is not happy and does not want me to take it. Told her it was in much better shape now than when I bought it and I was going to drive it home then.

So it got its first wash to get the dust off mostly then dried it, cant have water spots can we?

First stop, 1/4 mile to the gas station to top off the tanks. Got to say the gas went in pretty fast, did not try as fast as it could go just medium and no issues.
The rear tank gauge is not working and a quick look where it plugs in at the tank is a bear to get to and could not get test light to go thru a wire to see if it had power so I left it for another day.
Front tank gauge works so will run the rear empty and use the front so I can drop the rear as I think the float took a dump.

Wife is still not happy, what if we break down or flip over etc! I asked about towing AARP, I stand more chance of rolling my work truck than this one.
I did pack some tools just in case, did forget a fire ext. will see if the parts store has one next time there.

At first I cant shift this thing! You would think I did not know how to drive a stick. Because the T18 shifts like my work truck I keep wanting to float the gears and you cant do it in this truck.
Also with out over drive it does sound like it is spinning high about 2000 RPM, no working speedo yet, but after a while never gave it another thought.

The truck does wander some but wonder if it is because of the tight kingpins as the wheel will not return to center or if the aliment is off?
Also wonder if the box needs to be looked into or it is because I am use to R & P steering?

Made it to the show and hour late because of working on the brakes, but no issues going or coming home.
Truck was well liked, there was a Lighting there and a 53 Chev p/u nicely done up. looked stock on the out side but had a small block & OD auto, Camaro front clip, AC, Radio.

On the way home did not hear the motor spinning high but the RPM was the same and the shifting was easier as I get use to the truck.

It was about 70 miles round trip, at about 10 miles in (going & coming) a hear a squeak when moving but goes away when stopped for a bit (3 hours at show) like it cools off?
Have to look into the speedo and rear tank gauge not working and at the top of the list the low brake pedal.

I forgot to get a picture or 2 when at the show, as they say no picture or it did not happen but it did, you can call home and ask my wife!

I will take it out tomorrow to have keys made and turn in a core battery and the booster and check what can be done about the master. I don't want to take it out and not have another to put in on hand as it will let air & water into the system.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congrat's!!!!!!!   

Yes, you still have some niggles to iron out, but IT DRIVES!!!!  Well done!!!!!

I have no clue about king pins, but I would think that them being tight would take the "feel" out of driving and make it tough.  I know that I've tried adjusting the steering box on a couple of trucks and that sure took the feel out.

On the brakes it sounds like you have a bad master cylinder.

But these niggles can, and will be, resolved.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
Congrat's!!!!!!!   

Yes, you still have some niggles to iron out, but IT DRIVES!!!!  Well done!!!!!

I have no clue about king pins, but I would think that them being tight would take the "feel" out of driving and make it tough.  I know that I've tried adjusting the steering box on a couple of trucks and that sure took the feel out.

On the brakes it sounds like you have a bad master cylinder.

But these niggles can, and will be, resolved.  
Yep the "fine tuning" is all it needs now LOL

I need to check the box for play, if I can remember I will look at it tomorrow.

On the brakes I am going to try and build a cheap pressure bleed system as my son thinks it still has air in the system. Thing is if it did have air I would think the pedal would pump up no?

Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I think the pedal would pump up, but it would be very soft as you compress the air.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Part of getting the brakes better is to pressure bleed them.
Auto Zone does not lend pressure bleeding kits so was going to make one using a 1/2 gallon pump sprayer I picked up at the hard ware store.

After modifying it to work with the hose I hade I felt it would not build up enough psi so I moved to finish building the one I started many years ago but did not use because I did not have a cap to use with it.

So I used the old master cap drilled a hole and used a screw in tire valve with the core removed.
I then trimmed the gasket to seal around the outside and to pass fluid between the 2 sides.

The bleeder assy. is made from 3" PVC, 1/4" closed nipples and ball valves and a psi regulator/gauge.
I just had to put the nipples, valves & reg./gauge on the PVC and used clear hose to go between the bleeder assy and cap.

All was going good till the master filled up with fluid and then started spraying out the top as it had a vent I over looked.
I pulled the cap cleaned it up and used JB Weld over the vent and it needs to setup for 15 hours before you can use it so it sits.
Cap with JB Weld on it

I will need to pick up some more brake fluid before I get back at it but I should be all set to pressure bleed the system.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As said on the other thread, you are amazing!  That's a lot of work.  Hope it resolves the problem.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
As said on the other thread, you are amazing!  That's a lot of work.  Hope it resolves the problem.
You and me both I want good brakes!
I started this bleeder for my 70 AMC Javelin as I did a disc brake swap from the stock non-vented rotors and duel piston calipers (cant get parts for them, 3 year only option) for later year vented single pistons calipers that I can get parts for.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Truck will be fully legal the next time out.
I had insurance, email on phone when I went to the show last weekend.

Got the cards in the mail and found out I have Hagerty classic car insurance.
If the truck gets wiped out I get $11,000 at this time but can up that when I get the truck appraised.
They also let you drive the car / truck not just on weekends to shows or to get it worked on, they want you show if off! $500 deductible and runs under $500 for the year.

So with insurance cards in hand I hit the DMV on the way home and picked up a plate.
I got lucky as there was only 1 other person there and was out is 20 min. and that was BS'ing with the lady that was from CT.

Plan is to work on the brakes over the weekend to get the pedal to be firm.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Excellent!  I plan to check them out for my trucks as well.  No way will I accept the market value for them.

Good luck on the brakes.  

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
We have "the good, the bad and the ugly"!

The good - we now have brakes! with my home made pressure bleeder I got a little air out of the rear wheels on each side, nothing up front. Even before I started the truck I know it felt better, took it for a spin around the yard and felt great.

The bad - speedo has a stripped drive gear in the transmission and trying to figure what part numbers are needed made my head hurt so I asked for help.
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Speedo-Gear-help-td43805.html

The ugly - looked deeper into the rear tank fuel gauge and why it stopped working, it is a new sending unit and only had gas to it for maybe a month. Any way when I short the yellow wire to ground the gauge moves so it looks like the sender or float went south.
Because the front tank gauge works and I just filled both tanks I will run the rear out of gas and then drop it down some to get access to the top of the tank.
The ugly part as there is no room with the bed in place to get to the top of the tank and I am not removing it.

Now that I have brakes and plate I may take it to the food store later, wife went away and left me with nothing to eat. I also need stuff for work lunches.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dave - Glad you got the brakes working well.  Obviously that's very important - especially on a truck you'd put so much work and money into.

The speedo we addressed on the other thread.

As for the gauge, or more correctly the sender, it is hard to believe how poor the ones we are getting really are.  They don't last for even a year or so any more.  

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Gary Lewis wrote
As for the gauge, or more correctly the sender, it is hard to believe how poor the ones we are getting really are.  They don't last for even a year or so any more.  
We can thank the greed of humans for that. (/rant)
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Dave - Glad you got the brakes working well.  Obviously that's very important - especially on a truck you'd put so much work and money into.

The speedo we addressed on the other thread.

Brakes are nice if you want to stop
I even took the truck out in the dark for food.
Next big thing is the darting left / right.

Thank you for the help on the speedo gears.

I don't think they have had fuel on them for a month. I replaced them because I had the tanks off, did not know if they worked or not. I think they had plastic floats too.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
FuzzFace2 wrote

If the truck gets wiped out I get $11,000 at this time but can up that when I get the truck appraised.
They also let you drive the car / truck not just on weekends to shows or to get it worked on, they want you show if off! $500 deductible and runs under $500 for the year.

So with insurance cards in hand I hit the DMV on the way home and picked up a plate.
I got lucky as there was only 1 other person there and was out is 20 min. and that was BS'ing with the lady that was from CT.

Dave ----

Is there an annual mileage limit on that policy? Last one I checked into you if you used it as a daily driver you were pretty much having to go to standard insurance coverage. I would love classic coverage that actually allows me to use the vehicle.

This is what my company has in their policy:

Used only for exhibitions, club activities, and occasional pleasure/leisure (not primary transportation) AND
    Stored in a fully enclosed and locked structure
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I was lucky I got out of work kind of early and stopped by the shop that I got the tires from to see if they can do the alignment on my truck with twin I beams & kingpins.
I asked about the caster & camber if off how they could adjust and they said you cant with out bending and he could not do that.
But he did say he would need to throw it on the rack to see if they were even out of spec and he was right on that.

I asked when he could take it and said 9am tomorrow, told him I would be at work at 3am but could leave it off tonight.
On that he said bring it by now and he would see what he could do.
Did I say I was lucky? He took it right in and did his thing.

He side the caster & camber was within spec and was surprised on a truck that old.
He had to adjust toe as I was off a little using a tape and 2 straight edges and centered the wheel.
He said he could feel the new kingpins were tight and should loosen as I use the truck.
Also the box has a high spot in the center as it should and could be adding to why the wheel will not return all the way to center but it does most of the way.

I could tell on the ride back home it no longer darts left / right but could have a little play in the box so need to check on that.
I am also use to the R&P of my Durango and wife's Subie and that could be why I think it has play.
I plan to take it to work next week a day or two.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Danny G
TheScatch wrote
FuzzFace2 wrote

Dave ----

Is there an annual mileage limit on that policy? Last one I checked into you if you used it as a daily driver you were pretty much having to go to standard insurance coverage. I would love classic coverage that actually allows me to use the vehicle.

This is what my company has in their policy:

Used only for exhibitions, club activities, and occasional pleasure/leisure (not primary transportation) AND
    Stored in a fully enclosed and locked structure
No limit on mileage or when you can use it.
As they say they want you to use and show it off.
Look into Hagerty
Dave ----<
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you got it aligned.  And glad it was close.  

On the steering box, mark where the adjusting screw is and then back if off ever so slightly to see if the high spot goes away.  It will increase the slop, but might restore the feel.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
Glad you got it aligned.  And glad it was close.  

On the steering box, mark where the adjusting screw is and then back if off ever so slightly to see if the high spot goes away.  It will increase the slop, but might restore the feel.
I first need to check if the box has a lot of play as I have not done that yet.

I know all boxes have a high spot when centered to help hold it there I just need to look at it closer.
Thing is I only remember when I drive it and have not done it much before the alignment.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
My experience has been that tightening the adjustment screw has been for naught.  If you tighten it, even slightly, you can remove some of the slop in the box.  But in doing so you will remove the feel and the ability for the steering to self-center.

In other words, if you find slop it is time for a new box.

1 ... 24252627282930 ... 45