Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 81 F-250 Update

Gary Lewis
Administrator
steering stabilizers were not standard.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

todd121
Interesting,  By the looks of this thing you never would've thought someone took the time to have that put in/ installed it. But it was new at one time. With all the rusted hardware Im leaning towards the master hardware kit for the body panels.

My update for today is getting the front clip off less the passenger side inner wheel well because I want to document in photos how the vacuum system is plumbed ( I know there are schematics but if I can see it in person on what im working on putting it back together I find is easier.) Thats going to do it for the front end for now until I find a deal on an engine stand I trust to hold the old 4.9. Gonna drop the fuel tank this week and clean up the skid plate. next before really digging into cleaning the frame rails full force. Looks like it's been hit in the front end and theres a cracked core support mount however it looks like everything else is good as far at the frame goes. I'm hopeful the core support doesn't have to be replaced but there is a ton of rust around the passengers side mount on the core support itself so once I can get it disassembled well see. Thankfully all the trim looks to be good around the grill just needs to be polished up. The grill is in good shape too. The drivers side headlight bezel seems to be cracked in half and I think im better off replacing it rather than fixing the broken plastic. The more I get into this truck though the more im leaning towards rewiring the whole thing because all the old wiring is so brittle and dry rotted.

Im not sure ive notated it here but im strongly considering doing a disk brake swap in the back since the brakes need a complete over haul but like ive been telling my dad who's been helping out some "its gotta run right before it needs to stop"

"The Black Truck" 81 Ford F-250 HD 4x4 Long Bed, 300 IL6, Borg Warner T-18 4spd, Dana 60 limited slip rear, Dana 44 up front. Factory AC.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Depending on what's wrong with your radiator support frame 'horn' , JBG offer what they call frame savers.
Basically a big washer with a hex cut out that you can weld in where they usually rot out under the bushing.

I'm sure LMC have the whole mount that you can bolt on after punching the rivets out.

Be mindful that later disc brake rear ends have a different (metric) bolt pattern.
E series van disc rear ends have the right pattern but are different width and spring perches.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

todd121
I was looking at this conversion kit, https://lugnut4x4.com/product/dana-60-single-rear-wheel-brake-kit/#choose-your-rotors The Dana 60 HD is still solid under the truck so I don't think I want to go with a rear end swap.
"The Black Truck" 81 Ford F-250 HD 4x4 Long Bed, 300 IL6, Borg Warner T-18 4spd, Dana 60 limited slip rear, Dana 44 up front. Factory AC.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Interesting!
I suppose that solves the problems with LH lugnuts and having to pull the whole damn axle apart to get at the brake shoes.

Does this kit work with the standard master cylinder?
Do you have to remove the brake proportioning (multifunction) valve?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

todd121
See thats the thing it doesn't mention but I was watching stacey davids show on YouTube where he did a general talk about converting from drum to disk and he mentioned you would use a different master cylinder as well as a different proportioning valve,