classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

'80 f150 4x4 4sp clutch linkage

Sully69
Okay, so I got the parts I ordered from LMC yesterday only to find out that:
1) the parts for the frame side are all wrong, they're just dups of the parts from the engine side.
2) everything was made in China. Do they (the Chinese) even have these trucks? The bushings & spring pins will not last any time at all. I can't believe how thin the material is!
I was able to find better bushings & spring clips (thanks NAPA) but the truck remains on the lift. I need to find alternatives for the parts they sent me for the frame side.
Part numbers are:
358979-S, 7517 & 7B545
Are those 3 parts available from anywhere? Or am I going to have to do something different?
I do have 1/2 of a 7517 & a handful of very small pieces of the other half.
I called LMC to voice my complaint but was told "sorry, that's all we have for your truck"

Aaaaahhhhh!!!
Sully
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: '80 f150 4x4 4sp clutch linkage

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, several things.  First, I'm disappointed in LMC because I ran into this same problem probably 5 years ago, and called them and explained what the problem was with their parts.  Obviously they've not fixed it.

I think I was able to get the parts elsewhere, but will have to figure out where that was.  However, you might be able to find NOS parts if you had the full part number.

Full part number?  Yeah, the #'s you have (358979-S, 7517 & 7B545) are just the base part number.  For instance, a throwout bearing for any Ford vehicle in the world is #7548.  But in order to get the full part number for your specific vehicle you have to add a prefix, which tells when it was designed and for what vehicle line, and a suffix, which tells which iteration it is.  So, a throwout bearing for a 1987 F250 w/a 460 and a ZF5 would be F0TZ 7548-A.

I have a chart (Driveline/Clutches & Linkage) that is intended to give the full part numbers.  But, it didn't have your entries.  It does now.  So, perhaps you can find them?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Sully69
Thanks Gary but that's where I got the numbers from. I went back to the link to double check and found no Ford numbers on the exploded view of the linkage. I'll try searching other places & get back to you on it.
Mostly I was ranting about the non help LMC was. If you had the same trouble 5 years ago, why did they not fix the problem then?? And, how many other people have run into the same thing over the years?? It would have suited me fine if they had said they had nothing available for that side of the linkage. I'm going to rig my truck so I can drive to visit a friend with a Bridgeport & a lathe & make the part I need. Delrin should be okay for that.
Sully
Reply | Threaded
|

Sully69
Gary,
Sorry, I must have missed the part numbers tab, went back to check on something else & saw the tab.
I'm looking for 2 parts:
C5AZ  7B545-A
EOTZ   7517-B
I decided to wait for the storm to do what it wants to do before I go to my friend's shop. I'll keep looking for the needed parts until then.
Thanks for your help, as always.
Sully
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You can search for those parts on the internet.  But search both with and without the "-", meaning search for C5AZ 7B545-A" and "C5AZ-7B545-A".  That's because some people aren't that switched-on and substitute a - for a space.

As for delrin, it is a good material from which to make bearings or bushings.  And the felt washer can be cut out of thick felt.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Sully69
Thanks again Gary,
I got a call today from a friend I hadn't heard from in quite some time. When I told him what I was doing he laughed & said I may be in luck, turns out his uncle ran a service station & he had inherited the property & everything in the station. We went to the station & I couldn't believe my eyes, the back room was full of parts of every kind. We spent the better part of today going through shelves & boxes etc and I actually found both parts I needed!! He'll let me know when he's going to go through and catalog everything, I'll help and who knows what else well find.
Sully
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow! Wonderful!! You may well find lots of NOS parts.  It may be a gold mine.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Sully69
If they're still in the original packages, post the full PNs so Gary can add them.  Pics might also be helpful for others with similar setups.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sully69
Steve83
Any & all of the parts I find when we go to catalog everything I'll let Gary know.
The parts I found for my truck were:
Qty 1- C5AZ 7B545-A it was just laying on a shelf.
Qty 2 bags- EOTZ 7517-B these were in a box on a shelf among a bunch of GM & Mopar stuff. Each bag had 4 halves of the bushings which would make 2 bushings.
I'm hoping we find lots more Ford parts.
Sully
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Steve83
We actually have the full part numbers: Driveline/Clutches & Linkage.