classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
36 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 5 Of The Best Engines Ever Put In A Ford Truck

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gee, Gary who told you about the issue with the EFI intake?

A few interesting items, first go back to the early 80s, Lee Iaccoca, the father of the Mustang, was fired from Ford because he was felt to be getting too powerful and wasn't part of the family. When he was fired, all the projects he was working on were scrapped, one of which was a new, smaller FWD sedan. Iaccoca took the concept with him, but since Chrysler, who promptly hired him, didn't have any decent small engines, neither 4 nor V6, and even their small V8 was a porker compared to the Windsor family, so much so that when Chrysler bought Rootes Group, the 273 was so much bigger and heavier than the 260 it wouldn't begin to fit in the Tiger. First item was to crash program a larger 4 cyl than the 1.7L VW sourced engine for the Omni and Horizon, but smaller and lighter than the Mitsubishi 2.6L. This became the 2.2L, angled back with rear mounted manifolds like the VW and ultimately the 2.5L replacing the Mitsubishi 2.6L in 1986.

Iaccoca put together a team of engineers who understood turbocharging and EFI systems, then called in a favor from a friend he had helped out by selling him 260 and 289 V8s for his Southern California hod rods, the AC Cobras. Shelby's crew took the basic Dodge Omni and first raised to compression on the 2.2L engine giving it 110 hp carbureted from 122 ci. Later with further work the 142 hp turbo engine was raised to 172 hp. These Chrysler engineers not only got the power, they made these engines very reliable, one of the tricks was thermo-syphon after cooling of the turbocharger bearing housing. In 1990, Chrysler started using Mitsubishi 3.0L V6s and slowly phased out the turbo engines as a basic "higher output" option on almost every car except the L body (Omni and Horizon), joke was they built one platform with sliding side rails.

Fast forward to 1998, Daimler-Benz and Chrysler Merge, Daimler-Chrysler lets most of the engineering staff that made the turbocharged engines super reliable go. Any guess who Ford hired?

You can ultimately thank Lee Iacocca and Carrol Shelby for the EcoBoost system, the variable vane turbos on the Powerstrokes (it came out as the VNT on the Chrysler turbos).

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
We may have you outnumbered 10:1 but I am sincerely grateful for our trusty and productive northern neighbors.  
Not so fast...are you aware that Canada has massed 90% of its population within 100 miles of the U.S. border??  We must be ever vigilant against the Maple Leaf Menace!
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - So a chicken farmer and the guy they dreamed up the K-car were responsible for my EcoBoost?  

It is a small world in industry.  At one time I was on a first-name basis with the "big boys" in SCADA and it was amazing years later to find out where they'd gone.  Still in the SCADA industry, but from startups to the likes of HP.

So I can easily follow your story about the auto industry.  Not many of one type of ICE engineers, so shuffling them around from one company to another makes a lot of sense.  (And I know what the porker was.  Why do you think Steve is going 351W?  Apparently if the displacement ends in "60" it is thirsty.)

Anyway, I think they got the EB engines "right".  No, the exhaust note is dreadful, but the power is awesome.

Matthew - I hadn't thought of that, but I seriously doubt they want to invade.  Who would want this place?  But if they do I hope they bring lots of maple syrup and bacon - their kind.  We can have pancakes and pizza.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Here's an interesting article highlighting a number of things Bill mentioned about Shelby & Iacocca: https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/shelby-the-man-machines-that-beat-the-odds/ss-AA1amJLo?ocid=winp2fptaskbarhover&cvid=73f4bf5852e24feda39c9e68b931f5c4&ei=47#image=1

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Anyway, I think they got the EB engines "right".  No, the exhaust note is dreadful, but the power is awesome.
Sounds pretty good on the Ford GT LM race cars
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
if they do I hope they bring lots of maple syrup and bacon - their kind.  We can have pancakes and pizza.
 With ham and pineapple???  

That may be a lot of things, and it may be good, but to this someone (who's spent a lifetime enjoying true New Haven style apizza) it's NOT pizza...

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
This post was updated on .
And to spice up the mix, here are some more Shelby related pictures:
SFM6S2050, the GT350 I owned for 11 years and collected a number of trophys with.

Yes, in the last picture there are two 465 cfm Holley four barrels under that air filter.
Now for some action shots:

The first 2 were taken on the runways at Suffolk VA airfield at an SCCA SoloII event, fast enough I was into 4th on one portion. first one is rounding "Corvette Corner", named because 19 of the first 20 cars spun on it (#20 was another Shelby), second one is entering the slalom after Corvette Corner, note the attitude of the front, it was rasied from the power as I was in 2nd with all 8 barrels open. 3rd one is a parking lot autocross behind a now gone shopping center.
And now, what it currently looks like fully restored to the "as built" condition:

Here it was as the page head picture on the Facebook United '64 1/2 - '73 Mustang Enthusiasts International Forum hosted by Shasta Mustang Supply:

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Beautiful car, Bill.  I'll bet you miss it.

Is that you driving it in the picture?

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Dorsai
Dorsai wrote
Not so fast...are you aware that Canada has massed 90% of its population within 100 miles of the U.S. border??  We must be ever vigilant against the Maple Leaf Menace!
Hahaha...I forgot about this statistic...lol. Is it still even true today? I live 330 miles EAST of the closest USA border crossing (That's the town of Calais, Maine).

Gary, did you mention bacon and maple syrup?...haha. I'm planning to grab some super thick and smokey bacon from a local deli on Friday after work!

It seems the super Canadian thing these days is poutine...and it's out of control now lol. There are now 500 flavors and everybody sells a version. It was a unique treat at one time, but now...not so much. I don't really even eat the stuff.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Yes, in all of them, I was driving. BTW, picture as it sits now, is from the current owner, located in Sydney NSW Australia.

Yes, I miss it, but it was a case of 3 kids and needing the money.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Gary Lewis wrote
if they do I hope they bring lots of maple syrup and bacon - their kind.  We can have pancakes and pizza.
 With ham and pineapple???  

That may be a lot of things, and it may be good, but to this someone (who's spent a lifetime enjoying true New Haven style pizza) it's NOT pizza...
Missed that, Jim.  But I'm not sure that that the places that has been making pizza for the longest time would agree with what you consider to be pizza.  One of those places is L'antica Pizzeria da Michele in Naples - Italy, not Florida.  The MICHELIN Guide’s Point Of View is:

This is one of the oldest and best pizzerias in Naples. Founded in 1870, Da Michele issues numbered tickets to diners to ensure that the restaurant doesn’t get too busy. It doesn’t take long to make your choice: the only two pizzas served are the marinara (tomato, origan and garlic) and margherita (tomato and mozzarella). Open 10am-11pm.

Janey and I had the margherita pizza and I can say it was the best pizza I've ever had, and I've had a lot of it.  A few days after we got home we stopped into our local Italian restaurant and the waiter said "If you don't see what you want on the menu just tell me and I'll bet the cook can make it."  Knowing the cook, and owner, is from Sicily I said "I want a margherita pizza just like I had at Da Michele's last week."  He later told me he knew exactly what I was asking for, having had it himself, but he cannot recreate it.  Doesn't have the "right" ingredients.  Not sure I understand that, but then I'm not a cook so what do I know?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Go to Naples and ask for pineapple.  !  

In Sicily I can get fresh figs on a pie, and certainly prosciutto. (but probably not in Naples)

In Italy pizza Magherita is DOP*. (Of protected origin) just like you can't have 'Champagne' or 'Bordeaux' or 'Cognac' if it isn't from there and of grapes from there, and made is a specific way.

I'm just as proud of these European's remaining true to their ways as I am of Kentucky distillers upholding standards for Bourbon. (51% or more corn mash, new charred oak barrels, distilled no higher than 160 proof, casked no higher than 125 and aged for an absolute minimum of 2 years)

Hey, I've rather enjoyed Hawaiian 'pie' but I have a real hard time accepting it is pizza.  

*** I'm not sure what my phone is doing!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I asked for pineapple at Malnati's in Chicago and thought I was going to get thrown out.  But I still love their pizza.  Didn't ask in Naples as I already knew.

Yes, I appreciate that people are true to standards/traditions.  That's what makes travel interesting.

Reply | Threaded
|

351FUN
IMO they coyote is a great car engine, but not a great truck engine.  It's similar to the 306 in my F250, lots of power once you get it spinning but not much down low.  The 3.5 is the better "truck" engine of the pair, and with just a tune it beats the pants off a 5.0
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
What no Cleveland?  I am offended!

And Lou Malnati’s is the best in Chicago.  
1980 Ford XLT F350
400 Engine (rebuilt to 406)
Holley 2300 500 CFM manual Choke Carb
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Same reason no Coyote, Cleveland heads, particularly the 4V ones do not lend themselves to low end torque. Years ago, my first truck was a 1958 F100, originally with a 223 6 in it. I scored a 312 ci Y-block and a Borg Warner T85 3 speed with OD which I put in the truck. I used a kit for an FE as the mounts are the same and actually obtained a pair of 1957 T-bird exhaust manifolds (left side is different than the 1957-62 car as it tucks around behind the head slightly and clears the truck steering column better). I had several people ask why a 312 instead of a 302, or even 351. Two factors, cost and power band, the Y-block is a pretty torquey engine especially compared to a 302, stroke is 1/16" less than a 351 and cam is more torque oriented in stock form. Due to the rather poor head design and valve location in relation to the cylinder walls, the 312 doesn't breathe well at high rpm in stock form.

312 4V 245 hp @ 4500 rpm, 332 ft-lbs torque @ 3200 rpm
302 4V 210 hp @ 4400 rpm, 295 ft-lbs torque @ 2600 rpm
351W 4V 290 hp @ 5400 rpm, 385 ft-lbs torque @ 3200 rpm
351C 4V 300 hp @ 5400 rpm, 380 ft-lbs torque @ 3400 rpm

These are the gross ratings on all as the 312 was never given a net rating.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile