4x4 question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

4x4 question

ironcity55
Looking at picking up an '85 F-150 w/ the 300 inline 6 cyl, 4 spd, 4x4 and I've never messed w/ the 4x4 system. Apparently the 4X4 will engage 4H when you start moving. You can cycle the shifter freely into 2H, 4H, & 4L and you can hold it in 2H while you drive, but it will slip into 4H while driving if not holding it. Any ideas if this is a quick easy fix or something in-depth? I'm sure it could be numerous things, just trying to make a quick decision and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 4x4 question

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's not a quick fix.  There are plastic pieces in the transfer case that provide the detents to keep it in the proper gear.  I had a t-case that did something similar to what you are seeing because of those pieces being worn out or broken.

But you have to take the t-case apart to replace them.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ironcity55
Well dammit! Not what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the information Gary.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ironcity55
Depending on the transfer case, they are cheap and easy to rebuild. (see my Vermont saga a few years back)

If it won't stay in gear then I would concour with Gary. It's the plastic shift forks..  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.