4x4 F150/Bronco 300 Transmission Crossmember Gusset

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

4x4 F150/Bronco 300 Transmission Crossmember Gusset

JimJam300
Left one of my transmission gussets in the shop at work 'cause I was going to sandblast it. Someone must've thrown that rusty piece of metal away. Don't remember if it was the left or right.

Part # is either:
E4TZ 6096-D
E0TZ 6096-B

I'll come back later and state which one I'm missing, just posting this before I forget.

1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 4x4 F150/Bronco 300 Transmission Crossmember Gusset

salans7
Just so you're aware since I've been down this road...

Ford was bad about changing crossmembers and their gussets constantly. When it comes to the 4x4 versions, 80-84 is one style, 85-86 is another, something changed in 1987, and then by 1988, it was even worse because the crossmembers were dependent on the transmission.

From what I've found, even the 1987-1991 C6/AOD crossmembers differ from the 1980-1986 versions. They look very similar but the holes for the gussets are different and the gussets themselves are slightly different. So as you're looking around, you'll need to stick with ones from a bullnose for best fitment.
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
Yessir, the part numbers I grabbed are for 80-84 Bronco/F150 4x4 with the 300 which probably narrows it down to a point where nobody has one

The original part number stamped on the part I didn't lose is E2TA-7R314-DA

I wonder if I can just go with a different crossmember, 'cause I'm having a hard time finding replacement rubber transfer case bushings/insulators anyway.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
tcbaklash wrote
I know it doesn't make sense, but any number on a part is not a part number.    Instead it is an ID or Engineering # and it takes Ford's cross-reference to find a part number from an ID #.

I know people mis-use the term "part number" all the time, but it is important to know the difference because our site lists part numbers, and you won't find E2TA-7R314-DA in the parts lists.  On the other hand, if you go to a salvage with a part number you won't find it either.  One of Ford's "Better Ideas".  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
I keep forgetting that it's called something else and not a part number. I'm sure some engineer thought it was really clever.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
In reply to this post by JimJam300
tcbaklash wrote
Yessir, the part numbers I grabbed are for 80-84 Bronco/F150 4x4 with the 300 which probably narrows it down to a point where nobody has one

I wonder if I can just go with a different crossmember, 'cause I'm having a hard time finding replacement rubber transfer case bushings/insulators anyway.
That depends on the transmission you have and how long it was used for. M5OD, E4OD, and ZF5 crossmembers are all out of the question entirely because they sit too far back. You may be able to use an E4OD crossmember if you drill new holes. The M5OD and ZF5 crossmembers all angle backwards which won't really work well with our applications unless you modify something.

If you can find a newer crossmember+gussets from an 87+ AOD or C6 truck, that *should* work. I have a newer AOD crossmember that I picked up for cheap so I can use the gussets. I don't see much of a difference between it and my 1985 crossmember. The sections where the gussets meet the crossmember are the only differences I could find, and it was mainly in where the holes were drilled.

I touched on the subject here:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Transmission-Crossmember-Gussets-4x4-tp75030p122619.html
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
This post was updated on .
Truck came with a SROD 4x4, I'm putting in a T19 4x4. They are the same length and use the same tail adapter.

This is the crossmember that came out of my truck. It's a double decker contraption with sleeved bushings that are almost identical to the body mounts. I was miraculously able to salvage the sleeves with a torch and a 15 ton press, but finding the replacement rubber is a whole 'nother beast. That AOD crossmember in your thread has a much simpler and easier to find single-piece mount.

I'm thinking that AOD crossmember would be a good choice.

I also came up on this crossmember which is local to me. From a 1985 F-250, 6.9L, 2WD, T19. The holes for the mount look different compared to mine.

Other than transmission length, what are the other parameters that decide compatibility? Exhaust pipe clearance? Are there different tail adapters for different years?

EDIT: My memory is coming back to me, the tail on the 4x4 SROD is integrated and probably mounts up differently which would explain the difference in mounting hole width. The shifter lives in the tail, which is why the spacing is wider.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
2WD crossmembers generally don't allow for front driveshaft clearance, and the driver side gusset is usually in the way.

That T19 crossmember looks like an 80-84 4x4 crossmember, just without the bushings and top plate. I've never seen a 4x2 crossmember with that many holes in it.

I remember Gary replacing the crossmember bushings on one of his trucks years and years ago. Maybe he can recall what he used and can shed some light.
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
The part number for the owner's claimed donor vehicle is E4TZ-6A023-C which doesn't appear as a part on any 4WD trucks. But wouldn't a 2WD crossmember be flat or more symnmetrical, and not have a dip for clearing a front driveshaft? I'm thinking this was not original to his truck or a typo, because he said he was swapping out his T19 and right there in the picture is a T19 4WD. I guess I'll ask him to clarify.
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
What I found based on his forum posts:

The rear of my T-19 is built like a 4x4 even though my truck is definitely only 4x2. The new ZF I have is definitely a 4x2. Ignoring the potential complications... I'm now curious, is my T-19 the original transmission in this truck? Or did someone swap it out for a 4x4 version to add that aftermarket underdrive it had?
The clutch I took off was the original so that gives credit to the idea that the transmission wasn't swapped.
What I had on there was a Doug Nash Enterprise DNE2 unit. It's very similar to the Gear Vendors unit, it attaches to the rear of the transmission but is actuated very differently and is a lot older. Unfortunately Doug Nash was bought out by US Gear and they've gone out of business since then so I couldn't get any replacement parts and had to abandon the DNE2.
Very odd.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by JimJam300
I guess I've been invited to the party, and here are the instances of E4TZ-6A023-C in the MPC:

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Gary, do you remember the bushings you used on either Dad's truck or Rusty? I remember you replacing them on one of the trucks, but it's been so long you may not remember what you used. There was a whole microanalysis on finding the right dimensions and maybe even material.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No, I don't remember.  But all of those trucks are 4wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
I'm going to check out the "F250 T19" crossmember that guy has for sale so I can just use a later mount, and I'll report back.
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
I bought the crossmember off that guy. It is identical in all dimensions, except of course for the holes where the transmission mount bolts up.

The gussets are similar, only difference is that they are wider in some places.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
What mounts does it take?

Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
It looks like it can take both the narrow mount and the wide mount. I have all the parts for the wide mount sans rubber bushings because I can't find them. I bought a narrow mount for kicks because it was $10.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I guess my question was really about bushings.  And you answered that - you can't find them.

Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
It worked. Had to bend it with the jack to put the bolts through, but it's in and so is the transmission (sort of).

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's pretty much how I did it - got the bolts in and used them to pull the gusset into place.  They twisted a bit but worked.