460 stumbling and dies on hills

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

460 stumbling and dies on hills

reverse_fault_frank
My 1985 f250 with a 460 has recently started stumbling and dying while driving up hills at highway speed/rpm conditions. I've been unable to recreate the problem in the driveway. It seems like the engine is starved for fuel and if I let it sit for a minute or so it starts up and will usually get me back down the hill and home. The problem occurs on both tanks, I've replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pressure at the carb is about 4.5 psi. I've been driving around just fine in hotter weather and more miles recently and I have a bypass fuel pressure regulator to keep fuel circulating and prevent vapor lock. I've removed all the EGR system and made block off plates on the intake and EGR spacer. Recently the only thing I've done that may have catalyzed this stumbling was resetting the float heights in the carb. I had this problem before a little over a year ago and after replacing the battery wires, pcv valve, and a few other miscellaneous things, most of the issues in the truck seemed to disappear, but now its dying on hills again which is frustrating because I live in the black hills (plenty of hills here). I've seen this problem posted about on a lot of different forums, but I haven't found a clear solution yet. If anyone else has had a similar problem and/or knows how to solve this, I would appreciate some guidance.

Thanks,

-Frank
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.

1985 F250 7.5 L, manual
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 460 stumbling and dies on hills

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Frank - Might it be an ignition problem?  The DS-II modules and the pickup in the distributor can both cause similar symptoms when they get hot.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

reverse_fault_frank
In reply to this post by reverse_fault_frank
I spoke too soon. As soon as I posted that this was an issue on both tanks I had to go double check. The front tank was only putting out about 2 psi. I could have sworn it was both tanks, but I just went and drove up a big hill by my house and soared up it at 65 mph with no issues at all on the rear tank. I am now suspicious of the tank selector system and the front pump wiring.

1985 F250 7.5 L, manual
Reply | Threaded
|

reverse_fault_frank
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary,

Is there a good way to test the module? Thanks for the speedy response.

1985 F250 7.5 L, manual
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The only way I know of to test the module is via a Rotunda test kit that the Ford dealerships used.  But even they won't catch the failing-via-heat issue until the failing starts.

However, if with all of the components hot you can sail up the hill on the good tank and not on the other then it has to do with the fuel system.  And at 2 psi I'd say the issue is the pump.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI