460 lower alternator bracket.. What's it' supposed to be?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

460 lower alternator bracket.. What's it' supposed to be?

CRittaler
Sigh, everything I touch on this truck has been touched by every previous owner, mostly for the worse.

What is the factory lower alternator bracket supposed to look like?  Mine is cobbled together from something else and i want to make it right.

With what I have now I can't adjust the alternator far enough to slip the new belt on.  The old belt was some metric thing that doesn't cross to anything meant for the truck.  The arc of the adjuster doesn't match the arc the alt swings through so the bracket hits the alternator before it's been fully adjusted towards the block.

The adjuster is a Ford part E3TE-1014F-GA if I read it correctly.

Pretty sure Ford would have not ground the head off of whatever this came off of and would have likely drilled the hole in the center, and straight.

Also fairly confident that Ford wouldn't have drilled out a nut to use as a spacer

Chris
1985 Ford F250 XLT SuperCab
ZF5-42 swapped 460 hot fuel, factory AC.
Part way through 4WD swap.

1988 Suzuki Samurai -- Daily Driver
1968 Dodge Dart -- Project car
1957 Chevy 4400 Flat Bed -- Collector Project
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 460 lower alternator bracket.. What's it' supposed to be?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Chris - I think the lower bracket should look something like the one in the illustration below, although that covers many different engines, as you'll see.  

As for the part number, what you have is actually an "ID" number.  In the mid 60's as one of their "better ideas" Ford quit placing part numbers on parts.  Instead, they put an ID # on and issued a cross reference book to go from ID to part number.  

I have some of the books and will try to cross that ID # to a part number.  But you can see the illustrations and part numbers for alternators and brackets at Documentation/Electrical/Alternators.  You should have a 40 or 60 amp alternator, which would mean you should have part number E3TZ 10145-G.

Also, note that while the majority of ID #'s have the same central number as the part number, which is "10145" in this case, there are plenty of instances where the numbers differ.  But I've not seen a central number like "1014F".  Can you check the "F" and see if it might be a "5"?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
Gary,

Thanks!  I'll have another look tonight when I can get back out to the truck.

Mine was bolted to the block, not even close to where the diagram shows.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Your truck definitely had an air pump bracket.... probably dual air pumps, with the alternator hanging below and the pumps driven by a skinny belt off the front sheave of the alternator pulley.

Where is there a threaded hole on the front of the block???

I searched high and low for a "stock" bracket that would fit.
Including buying one from a 429 Torino!
Nothing worked without fouling my crossmember or suspension and I ended up buying an L&L bracket from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard.
It came with a nice 2 sheave pulley that I sent to Gary.

Be aware that you might need some alternate spacers with the L&L bracket to get the belt lined up.
I did.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I have the factory setup sitting on the shelf while my engine is down for rebuild, so if need be I can take pictures of the stuff so you know what you're looking for. Just let me know.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The ID# E3TE-10145-GA is part # E3TZ-10145-G, which is the part I think you are supposed to have.  And, there's no reference of a 1014F.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
But if he's not running an A.I.R. pump then he doesn't need the massive casting (or the unobtainable tube that fits behind it, to allow the heater hose to connect to the water pump)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Right.  I'm just saying that I think the swing arm is original to the truck.  Not that everything else is correct.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
The thread title is "what's the alternator bracket supposed to be?"
So you have the answer.

I'm just trying to point out that he may be beyond the point of no return, or asking the wrong question.

If the question really is "what alternator bracket will work?" then the answer is it depends on what you have now.

So, a picture of the front of the passenger side head and the place where "the bracket is attached to the block" can help us help him.

The easy answer is 10156-B

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
If I remember correctly it was bolted here.  When I can get back out to the truck (~8pm pacific) I'll snap a picture.

You are correct that the truck had at least one air pump as the bracket for it is still on the block and the pulley on the alternator is dual V belt.

I am going to double check the bracket number as that F could very well be a 5, it was grimy and I was getting grumpy about still finding stuff messed up from the PO.

The title was because I legitimately thought the PO used a bracket from another vehicle given that the spacer they used had been ground at and angle and drilled off center and at an angle.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well, your original alternator would have fit between the lower 'ears' on the air pump bracket (as shown)

If you're talking about the adjuster arm instead of the bracket, then that makes sense.
But you can see it fits to the water pump/timing cover in your illustration.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
Correct, I am talking about the adjuster.  I'm used to the terminology from my Suzuki.  The adjuster on it is the upper alternator bracket and the lower bracket bolts to the block.  I just flipped the terminology because the orientation is opposite from the Suzuki.

Apologies for the wrong terminology.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
No need to apologize. I was just confused.  

So, maybe try installing it like it shows in the generic illustration.
Or attach the arm to one of the timing case bolts if it doesn't go behind the bracket casting? (20522-S)

I can take a picture of where my arm mounts, but like I said, I have the L&L bracket.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I looked through my pictures last night, lots of different shots of the AC/PS side, top views of the dual smoke grinders, nothing of the 200# mount.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Let's see if this is zoomed in enough to help.  (Man, I'd forgotten how ugly that engine was!)

If not, how 'bout this?

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I also second the L&L as a valid option to get rid of the smog bracket and Jim is correct in that it needs shimming. Unfortunately the ebay offering won't work as you are going to 4wd but would have been a great price.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks for these pictures!  I don't know if it was the PO or the PPO that did it, but they had the bracket cranked down against the timing cover.

I was able to take the bolt out and the bracket was loose enough that I was able to slip the adjuster in behind and bolt it all back up correctly.

I have no idea why this was kludged the way it was, but thanks for helping me get it sorted out!

Here's where the kludged together bracket was bolted.

Installed in the correct location and tensioned.

Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
That's..interesting. Glad that's all it took!
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by CRittaler
Wow! That pivot must have had a huge angle on it to reach forward a couple of inches.

I'm glad Gary's illustration helped you figure it out!  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by CRittaler
Yes, glad it is sorted!  Especially at such a cheap price.  

I hadn't thought to look through my many pics until Bill mentioned that he had.  So I went looking and sure enough, had that one.

(And I'm glad that I did as it reminded me of how UGLY things were under the hood.  So much better now.)