classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

3G Alternator Dissasembly

Machspeed
Administrator
Yesterday after work decided to prep my new 3G alternator for install. Drilled and tapped the case to accept the larger 3/8 16 bolt. Decided the best way to do it was to remove the front of the case, which came off quite easily. Was a little curious about its assembly and also clocking it anyway. After I drilled and tapped it, decided to paint it as discussed in the thread regarding the preservation of aluminum.

Interestingly, while the front of the case came off easily, not so sure about removing the rear case. It seems to be loose and I can turn it a little and even move it in and out a little, but something seems to be holding it on. I'm a little nervous about putting pressure on it in fear I may damage something. Thoughts?

John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 3G Alternator Dissasembly

Gary Lewis
Administrator
John - It is supposed to come apart on the rear just like it did on the front. But, the one on Big Blue would not come apart at all, so I left it.

This video shows one coming apart, and while I'm starting it at that point, you can scroll back to see more if you want. But on my alternator the aluminum of the case had apparently mated with the steel such that it wasn't going to budge.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Yeah, I watched a couple of Youtube vids before I posted and from them, it appears that the front case is the more difficult pull and the back seems to come right off. That was not the case with this BD unit. The front case came right off, but the rear is challenging, as it is loose but won't pull off. I'm a little nervous about pulling on it, as something is holding it. I'll mess with it some more tonight and see if I can't figure it out. Thanks Gary.
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There are only a few things that can hold it on, with the rear bearing being one that frequently causes problems.  But Big Blue's rear case felt like it was held on with some wires.  I could move it a bit and then it would stop.  I pried on things hoping it would come apart, but it just felt like I was going to tear something up so I stopped.

Good luck!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Gary Lewis wrote
There are only a few things that can hold it on, with the rear bearing being one that frequently causes problems.  But Big Blue's rear case felt like it was held on with some wires.  I could move it a bit and then it would stop.  I pried on things hoping it would come apart, but it just felt like I was going to tear something up so I stopped.

Good luck!
That is exactly how this feels, like I'm going to tear something up. I think there's some kind of retainer under the center cap holding it together. If it were a junk alternator I'd get after it but as is, think I'll just put it back together. I got the hole tapped and the front case painted. Good enough!

https://youtu.be/RVHT7Qz325k

John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That looks like the bearing is hung up.  It rotates, but mine didn't.  So your symptoms are just right for the bearing not letting go in the case or off the shaft.

Turn it over and try to pull the armature out of the back.  Or, lift it the way it shows in the video and tap the center of the back, but with a way to catch the armature.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
You did take the regulator and brushes out first I hope.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
85lebaront2 wrote
You did take the regulator and brushes out first I hope.
Absolutely...lol
John