classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
33 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

300 six clutch pivot 💩💩💩😩

Ford F834
Administrator
I went to Kingman today and had the dreaded failure of the clutch pivot pin on my 81. I did not know this was such a difficult part to source until I read the comments here on the NOS pieces that David linked in the past…

I need to get mine fixed, even if it is a temporary repair. In my case, it was the threaded stud that broke off in the engine block… Does anyone here know the bolt size and thread count of the pivot pin threaded stud? And the length?  I’m hoping David/FuzzFace2 may know since he fabricated one 🤷‍♂️

I have to go about extracting mine, and it would be helpful to know that so I can try to thread in or weld on a substitute stud. I’m almost at the point of converting to hydraulic, but the water hauling never stops here and I need to do SOMETHING as soon as possible…

I did manage to drive it home since I have no clutch interrupt switch, and I was able to float gears. We were out of water and I even hauled one tank with my daughter driving ahead to scout for me so I could roll through the one stop sign on my route. Sorry Autozone starter… be strong!!! 😬
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 300 six clutch pivot 💩💩💩😩

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh no!  Sorry to see that!  Glad you made it home.

I don’t know the dimensions and am not in a position to look for them at the moment. I’m thinking we figured it out and they are in a precious post. Maybe someone else can find them?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Found a moment and did some searching. Dave/Fuzzface2 said the thread is 9/16-12. I’m not sure how that was determined because I didn’t reread all of the thread and can’t get the system to give me a permalink to it on my phone.

But Dave appears to have purchased a new one so might be able to confirm it. I’ll tag him.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary, this thread?

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Clutch-release-pivot-pin-E0TZ-7A535-A-NOS-tp64368p64894.html

Or maybe this one?

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/WHYDTYTT-What-Have-You-Done-To-Your-Truck-Today-tp148p119686.html
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Sorry to hear of your trouble, Jonathan. I have been searching, but have had no luck.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Found a moment and did some searching. Dave/Fuzzface2 said the thread is 9/16-12. I’m not sure how that was determined because I didn’t reread all of the thread and can’t get the system to give me a permalink to it on my phone.

But Dave appears to have purchased a new one so might be able to confirm it. I’ll tag him.
Sorry to hear yours broke.
I came up with the 9/16-12 by taking what was left of the pivot part out of the block and taking it to the local hardware store and matched it up with a bolt and found the thread size / pitch.
How where the plastic bushings on that pivot and the frame side pivot?
Also check the rod from the pedal to the cross bar for wear.

Each time mine broke I was able to use a pick and unscrew the threaded part out of the block.
I believe the threaded part dose not bottom out and why you can just unscrew it.

A quick run down of my failed fixes.
I bought 2 bolts of the right thread size / pitch for the threaded part and cut the head off 1 bolt.
I then tried to weld it to the pivot part.
Did you see "tried"? the weld did not penetrate really good and it broke again.

I used the second bolt and did almost the same thing but this time I used a roll pin and drilled the threaded part and the pivot in the center. I also welded it again.
This time it lasted longer put the weld still did not penetrate and I thought I  turned up the juice more?

The NOS one I used this last time I got off Ebay a few years earlier and did not have time to get measurements before I had to install it as I had a show to take the truck to.
The last one that was posted on here was $150 if I remember, way to much for a spare.

IIRC the total length from the outer most part of the pivot to the end of threads was 3 inches but would need to check that. I think if you get the threaded part out of the block and put it to the pivot you should get the length.

It was also said that if you had the machines you could make 1 or a bunch from hex bar stock.
The hex stock so you had a way to tighten it into the block but I can't see why you can't use vice grips if you used round stock?

I dont know if what I posted will help or if I could be of any more help?
Dave G aka FuzzFace2
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Thank you gentlemen for the information! This is very helpful, especially regarding fixes that did not last (which will keep me from repeating them)!

I gave it a good try to work the broken tip out of the block with a knife tip but it wouldn’t budge. I will try again with a stout awl, and or chisel tip and rotary tapping but I fear the worst which is I may end up needing to drill the center… which won’t be easy…

The plastic bushing is worn, but not terrible. The rest of the linkage has more wear and play than I would like but is still useable for a while if I can fix the pivot pin. I’m not a huge fan of hydraulic clutches in these, but it may be a necessary evil if the mechanical one is too hard to keep serviceable. I guess the number of 80-83 manual transmission trucks just isn’t enough to warrant aftermarket support… bummer. 😞

It is grasping at straws but I will probably try the local junkyard tomorrow “just in case”. You don’t know if you don’t look.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
I just checked that ebay list from July 17 https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Clutch-release-pivot-stud-E0TZ-7A535-A-NOS-td121764.html
And the part is sold out but it list the part number and has a good picture of what it should look like when it is 1 piece.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dave - Thanks for responding.  I knew you'd have the right info.

Jonathan - Good luck tomorrow.  But if they don't have the mechanical piece see if they have the hydraulic piece awa the pedals and master/slave combo.  And even the throwout arm as it is different:

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Dave brought the broken nub to the hardware and matched it up.

When posting this pic of NOS side by side it was said that the pivot has a 1" hex and is 3" overall length.
I wish he had taken some more accurate dimensions with a digital caliper or something....  🤷‍♂️

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Thanks for those part numbers Gary, and heads up on the differences. The part I would dread the most is I would need the hydro clutch bellhousing and changing that is a JOB… which is x2 if you pull one at a junkyard. That would be more of a long term upgrade if my whole linkage system is a basket case.

Jim, thanks for the overall measurements. I have a feeling I may be fabricating some form of sleeved stud with a 9/16 bolt and jam nut as the core. I was able to get a water delivery arranged (expensive) but should buy me a few days to figure this out 😓

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I gave a real effort this afternoon at working the broken stud out of the block… and it’s not happening. Looks like it is going to have to be drilled and removed with an easy out. The problem is there is no room for a drill… perhaps a very compact right angle drill and a short bit… but I don’t have one.

I’m starting to think the hydraulic conversion might actually be easier 😵‍💫. I will see what the junkyard has for me. I think I can use the pedal shaft out of the 89 IDI parts truck. I would need the bellhousing and release fork out of an 84+ small block, and I would probably be best off with new master and slave cylinders. Anything else? Firewall reinforcement would be a good idea but might have to be added later if I can’t get it quickly.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bummer!  Sorry that getting the bolt out isn't working.  I sure hope the salvage has the bits you need to do the conversion.

As for the parts needed, I think you have it figured out.  But a used master/slave would be better than nothing.

Good luck!!!!  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
It appears that Dave's new pivot stud has some dimensional differences from the old.

It really would be a simple lathe operation from a piece of 1" 4140 hex stock (if we had the taper and shoulder/snap ring groove measurements of the 5/8" stud)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
No dice on the bellhousing or pivot pin at the junkyard. A little bit of asking around is also revealing that the small block hydraulic bellhousing has become scarce and hard to find…. I have passed up so many not thinking I would want one 😞.

I did get a pedal box shaft and master cylinder from an Aeronose, which mounts from studs on the pedal box itself and has a second reinforcement plate on the engine side of the firewall. This extra plate would be better than nothing.

I will continue to look for a hydraulic bellhousing, but I can’t go on a goose chase for one. But I think I have a plan…

I bought a right angle drill adapter at harbor freight for $20 along with a set of short, self drilling easy-out bolt extractors. I am crossing my fingers that this will remove the broken stud.

I bought a 3” and a 3.5” grade 8 bolts, plus a jam nut and a brass spacer and two brass flange bushings. The outer diameter of the brass looks to be very close to the outer diameter of the stock nylon wear point. I realize that the brass may shorten the life of the Z bar, but it should buy me some time. Tomorrow I will give it my best shot.

The junkyard also yielded other finds that I could not pass up. I got another hydroboost since I plan to be run these in three trucks, and they are getting tough to find. Auto parts stores are not carrying them like they used to and having a core to rebuild might be the only option in the future. The same F-Superduty also had a home-fabricated front hitch so I grabbed that. I’m hoping it might fit the frame of my crew cab, but if not it will go on the F450. It looks like the cross bar is low enough to clear the IDI radiator support drop down. There was also a 1982 F250 with power window rosewood door/speaker panels. More stuff to put in storage and bring to a future Garagemahal show I guess 😅

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sounds like a reasonable plan, Stan.  Here's hoping the drill and easy-outs will bring the stud out.  And that the bolt and brass bushings work.  

And those seem like good scores at the salvage.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Ford F834 wrote
A little bit of asking around is also revealing that the small block hydraulic bellhousing has become scarce and hard to find…. I have passed up so many not thinking I would want one 😞.
They are getting hard to find. The few trucks I have seen show up at the junkyards here with manual transmissions...that hydraulic clutch bellhousing is one of the very first things that gets scavenged.

I had one of those 300/6 clutch pivot studs one time...a very nice one I removed from a 300 from an '80 or '81 Bullnose. I ended up giving it away on here and Ray Cecil grabbed it. Too bad too, because he sold that truck not all that long after. God knows where that stud ever ended up.

Jon, did you try asking on one of the Facebook groups? I'm sure there are lots of guys on there with junked trucks that would send you a spare stud.

Maybe we need to find a really good used one and have it copied for the sake of science! Gary, I've been meaning to ask...whatever happened to Keith Dickson anyway? Anybody ever talk to him. I figured he'd be a good resource for having scarce parts duplicated. (That reminds me...somebody really needs to come up with a radiator swap kit with brackets etc so that you can easily swap a 1985-1996 radiator into a 1980-1984 Bullnose. Man there have been a lot of people looking for early radiators lately...sorry Jon...didn't mean to hijack!).

Anyway, good luck getting that broken stud out. Did it break off flush with the block casting?
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Keith was here at the show a few weeks ago.  He did ask what's really needed in the Bullnose arena and I'm pretty sure I mentioned this pivot for the 1980 - 83 300 six engines.  But to make sure I'll tag him.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I think I'd try welding a nut to it before I tried drilling it out.
That's got to be some really tough steel.

It would be great if LMC could pick up an item like this.
Even a short run of a couple hundred pieces are substantially less than 'onesies'
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
It appears that Dave's new pivot stud has some dimensional differences from the old.

It really would be a simple lathe operation from a piece of 1" 4140 hex stock (if we had the taper and shoulder/snap ring groove measurements of the 5/8" stud)
When I "fixed" what I had I did not have the spare for measuring.
also if you look at the fixed one it does not have the flat base that would hit the block when screwed in.
Gary pointed out that the threads most likely bottomed out and that put strain on where the threads were welded to the old pivot.

Jonathan could and I guess I could too if I can find the old parts, where that snap ring groove is and the wall the plastic bushing hits at the other end.

I also dont know if the taper is really needed?
I think if that area was just turned down some so when the motor moves the Zbar would not bind in that area.
I just cant get out to the garage to find the old parts for a day or 2
Dave ----
Dave G.