(Normal)
39 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2G ALT, New VR connector with 3 wires

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If your battery warning lamp is burnt out then the LG/R wire isn't getting power to bootstrap the alternator. (some later trucks had a 512ohm resistor across the back of the cluster flex to 'help' the alternator in case the bulb filament breaks)

I don't know what any PO (or their backyard mechanic) might have messed with. I can only speak of how it should be, or how I've made many modifications to my own truck.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ryans460
In reply to this post by Ryans460
Rewired the VR. Tested. Still no charging. 12.2V DC while running.
I removed the ALT and Harness. Heading to the parts store with the Original ALT in hand.

This time I watched very carefully, and the Ammeter did bounce slightly when I engaged the starter ....maybe it works....
460ci so you know I never pass a fuel station.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Ryans460 wrote
This time I watched very carefully, and the Ammeter did bounce slightly when I engaged the starter ....maybe it works....
They never worked worth a damn.
That's why everyone has them converted to a volt meter by Rocketman/CCI or just leaves them disconnected.

Did you try grounding the screw on the regulator (where it says "Ground Here To Test"?)

I'm not sure why your "new" alternator wouldn't be charging.
If I were to buy one in a store I always make them test it before I walk out the door
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Max Capacity
In reply to this post by Ryans460
Update, I see RYan had the ALT tested, it was bad, the auto parts say's they will test the new one before they sell it to him.

Waiting for update in his thread over on the other forum.
1986 F150 302EFI AOD
Reply | Threaded
|

Ryans460
Good news.
New, new Alternator worked fine.
Full details in the other forum thread, but it's amazing how the diagram is correct all of the time.
And correctly functioning multimeter helps.

FYI: '86 2G ALT can accept the universal "D" shape VR plug with 3 wires, and only use the first 2 wires to maintain all factory features. The third wire (VR"I") is unused.
460ci so you know I never pass a fuel station.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That is great news!  
I'm glad the parts store was willing to test first this time

I've definitely been in that position where I think I'm losing my mind.  
Then I remember "just because it's new doesn't mean it's good"

Thanks to this adventure Gary can correct another error in Ford's documentation.
The '86 EVTM diagram should have the two wires in the VR plug together, rather that the LG/R exciter wire at (I)

Only other diagram mistake I recall is showing a tach as getting power from the ICVR..... this has also been revised in the public facing documentation here on the site.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Thanks to this adventure Gary can correct another error in Ford's documentation.
The '86 EVTM diagram should have the two wires in the VR plug together, rather that the LG/R exciter wire at (I)
Well, my company left yesterday and I'm trying to catch up.  Looks like I missed a lot in this thread.  But please help me understand what I need to do in the schematic below?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
C186 should show the LG/R 904 exciter wire going to (S) in the center terminal position rather than (I) at the bottom.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Perfect.  Thanks.  I'll see if I can correct that today and chime back in here.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Is this what you had in mind?

And, by the way, I think I see how the error occurred.  On the left, below, you can see the regulator/alternator wiring from the 1985 EVTM with a 1G alternator and an idiot light.  On the right you'll see the wiring for an 85 with an ammeter.  Note that with a warning light the LG/R goes to "I" but with an ammeter it goes to "S".  However, in '86 there were no idiot lights, just ammeters.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That looks fantastic Gary!  
I do think you should make a notation that the actual EVTM was incorrect.(like with the tach I mentioned)

Yes, I understand the difference between how a regulator is wired for ammeter v/s idiot light, and that in '86 even base models got an ammeter.
But it really makes you wonder how these EVTM's get laid out and published without any proof reading by an engineer!?!?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I agree about the note.  But I tried to put it in using Paint, which I used to edit the schematic, and it came out very fuzzy.  Several times.  I'll go to the shop and use Photoshop in a bit.

As for why the error, I didn't realize that the wiring was that different between idiot light and ammeter trucks.  So I'm glad I found that as I learned several things today.

And proof reading was apparently a lost art.  You'd think that something to be used by their techs would get a whole lot of attention in order to be perfect.  Nope.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
As for why the error, I didn't realize that the wiring was that different between idiot light and ammeter trucks.
I've been saying this about the 1G regulator since my first days on FTE.
Not many people were able to grasp that (Dave Franklin, Jim's Rebel and Paul Conanski did)

Fortunately the dreaded firestarter only afflicted the '86 Bullnose trucks. (ALL the Bricknose and some of the Aeronose except those with the ambulance alternator were cursed)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

JimsRebel
<quote author="ArdWrknTrk">
Gary Lewis wrote

Fortunately the dreaded firestarter only afflicted the '86 Bullnose trucks. (ALL the Bricknose and some of the Aeronose except those with the ambulance alternator were cursed)
Friends don't let Friends buy G2 Alternators
1986 F150 XLT Lariat 4x4 300 C6, 9 inch 3:50, 235-15 tires, sway bars and skid plates, DS2 dist with GM 4 pin IGN module and no computer. still using the feedback carb; 3G ALT swap, PMGR starter; 150,000 miles, 2nd owner
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
👍👍👍👍

I really appreciate you bringing our attention to the error in the 1986 EVTM

That darn 2G haunted me for 15 years, until i finally realized there was an expedient solution.
It's a shame that Ryan (of RJM fame) vanished without a trace.
He set me up with a very nice kit to adapt the Busmann 175A Megafuse to my truck.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by JimsRebel
Back when I first started Bullnosing I bought a refurb'd 2G alternator thinking I had something.  I did, and still do, as I've not found anyone silly enough to take it off my hands.  

Anyway, is this what we are looking for, Jim?

Reply | Threaded
|

JimsRebel
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Hi Gary
I got your email with the new drawing. Looks perfect, I also like the idea of the added note you put in there.
Your site always has the best documentation.
Jim #2
1986 F150 XLT Lariat 4x4 300 C6, 9 inch 3:50, 235-15 tires, sway bars and skid plates, DS2 dist with GM 4 pin IGN module and no computer. still using the feedback carb; 3G ALT swap, PMGR starter; 150,000 miles, 2nd owner
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Yes.
And I really appreciate all the effort you put in to making this site the authoritative source for Bullnose content on the web. 👍👍👍
Thank you Gary!  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Jims.  

Pages 15 (gas) and 21 (diesel) of the 1986 EVTM have been updated.  And I'm happy to have correct documentation.  So when we find errors please let me know.