2150 Question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

2150 Question

beefman
Morning folks.  I have what may be a simple question that I wasn't sure how to look for in any of the manuals.  

What is the arm in the picture with the arrows pointing to it.  Second part of the question is if I'm at minimum vacuum lines (read as no emissions/smog/anything other than what Gary lists in the vacuum systems tab) do I need it?  My guess was it had to do with venting to the charcoal canister, but the pictures I saw only had a line fitting, not the push button with an arm.  

I only ask because it's a pain in the derriere to swap an accelerator pump with it while it's on the engine.  If it's needed, I'll make do, if not, it'll get chunked.  Thanks!

Grandpa's "Big Red" 1984 F150 XL
4x4, 302, C6, trying to get back in decent shape for a farm/pasture/hunting truck.

The New Red 2019 F150 XLT
4x4, 2.7L EcoBoost, Super Crew

The Big Truck 2017 F350 XLT
4x4, 6.7L PSD, Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 2150 Question

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't know, but I think that's a valve to open the bowl vent.  You don't have anything connected to the bowl vent, so if you aren't using it you won't need that valve.

I'm guessing that it is closed at idle and opens when you give some throttle.  But that may be backwards.

As for vacuum lines, have you looked at this page: Documentation/Underhood/Vacuum Systems?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

beefman
Thanks Gary.  Yes, that's the page I was referencing in my post about only having those lines you listed hooked up.  This is my first stop on the google machine when I'm working on Big Red.  I appreciate the work you and everyone else has put into this site!
4x4, 302, C6, trying to get back in decent shape for a farm/pasture/hunting truck.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by beefman
It opens the external (fitting) bowl vent at idle, then closes it as you come off idle. Eliminating it will actually cause the carburetor to possibly run rich at cruise and definitely at WOT. Capping the fitting will eliminate that, but as someone else on here discovered, hot restarts due to gas fumes inside the air cleaner can make them a problem. Truck will run super rich for a bit until the fumes are purged.

My personal recommendation is this: the evaporative system is a "neutral" emission device, it doesn't harm nor really affect the engine unless it is totally screwed up (GM has famous for the system on the feedback carbs having a valve that when it failed the engine would barely run). The system, unless it is completely removed (tanks vented to atmosphere) will simply keep you from smelling gas fumes even in a closed garage. Therefore, leave it in place and functional.

Air pumps, EGR valves, Catalytic converters all can and do affect engine performance and if you do remove them keep in mind in some areas, it is against the law to remove or defeat them, your call on that.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Bill.  I obviously had it backwards.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

beefman
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Thanks for the info.  I have an open filter air cleaner on the truck right now.  Would that make a difference in removing/capping it off?  That's a pure curiosity question.

As for the rest, grandpa removed a lot of it back in the 90's when he put the engine in the truck, I've been pulling the rest off the past few years as I tinker.  I'm in a no emissions county in NC, and the truck is old enough now that no inspections at all are necessary once the truck reached 35 years old (84 model).  I still appreciate the warning though.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
The gas fumes will still collect inside the air filter. You do need to cap the fitting as the valve will stay open without the linkage.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

beefman
Thanks.  Curiosity satisfied.  I'll leave the arm in place.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
No problem, if you look at the "profile" link, you will see what I did for a few years.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile