2 inch lift camber adjustment

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

2 inch lift camber adjustment

Snottyvar

I just installed two inch lift on my 1980 4x4 and need to get new camber adjuster nuts. Can someone save me the math and point me to the right ones. Cheers
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 2 inch lift camber adjustment

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Snotty - Welcome to the forum.  But the email you were sent asked you to go to the New Members Start Here folder and publish an introduction before posting elsewhere.  We do that because we have our guidelines posted there and want everyone to have had a chance to see them because we will hold you to them.

So let's park this conversation right here until you post an introduction in NMSH.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, that was quick!  Well done!

So, let the comments begin!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85pig
In reply to this post by Snottyvar
Possibly Moog K8709 or K80108?  May depend on how many degrees of correction it needs.  
1985 F150 4X4 300 I6 4-Speed
1970 Torino Cobra "Twister Special" 429CJ 4-Speed
1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible 331 5-Speed
Reply | Threaded
|

Snottyvar
Thanks. I'm 5 degrees out! I think it will settle a little. I'll get the appropriate nut, or closest too.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
depending on how you added 2" of lift there may be more to this. if you used taller springs or spring spacers then you changed more than the camber. the caster is affected also. unless you use rear lift mounts along with front lift mounts. however, the bushing is also the correction adjuster for both. this should be measured on a proper rack, but many have done well in home garages with good flat/level floors. measuring the caster can be really tricky though.  
 as the truck is lifted the I beam gets angled. as a result, the top ball joint needs to move inward. as it gets lifted the radius arm also gets angled and so the ball joint needs to get moved rearward. both of these are happening at the same time and will require the correct bushing for the combination of the two. at this point of needing to make adjustments it is a great idea to install new pivot bushings and radius arm bushings as they all are going to affect this.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Snottyvar
I used a two inch spacer under the spring. I would think going straight up would only affect camber as nothing has changed in a forward or backward way. It is driving fine, no pull and steering feels good, but I'm going to wear out tires pretty fast. I'll put in the new adjuster nuts with caster in mind of course but as long as it's leading the wheel a touch all should be well. we will see. Thanks for your input.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Radius arms put the pivot point far behind the wheel centerline
If you bring the hubs down you have to increase trail, unless you use an equal drop radius bracket.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by Snottyvar
there is also another fine point to add. the twin i beams, or twin traction beams are not the same on both sides. they are of different lengths and therefore are reacting differently to the spacers. this is where a GOOD alignment is valuable. the caster is affected comparably yet the camber is not. the shorter axle will have the greatest adjustment needed assuming it was perfectly in alignment prior.