1987 F150 Flareside 4x4 Restoration Video

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1987 F150 Flareside 4x4 Restoration Video

Rembrant
Thought some of you might find this interesting...not a Bullnose, I know...but since 1987 was the very last year for the traditional Flareside, I feel it is closely enough related (at least for those of us with Bullnose Flaresides). Anyway...what I was curious about was...anybody know what one of these types of restorations would cost???....I'm just curious. I know what it costs to rebuild one of these trucks...but paying a big shop to do one like this?>..it has got to be tens of thousands, no? 30 grand? 50? I mean, it certainly costs way more than the truck is worth (but don't they all...lol).

A lot of details are missed in a 10 minute video, but it looks like they actually replaced the cab. The original cab was black inside and out, and then it shows them stripping a grey cab that is white inside...a southern replacement, no doubt. Also note the paint...it was really glossy looking going on...so must have been a single stage, eh?

The Flareside guys will recognize the work needed to repair the bed sides.

The one big downside...they used one of the aftermarket replacement tailgates with no FORD letters stamped into it (or maybe they fabricated it?) but the blank tailgate looks just too plain to me. Oh...and I would have had the white letters facing out on the tires, just to break up the black a little bit, but I know not everybody likes 'em that way.

So throw your guess in at the invoice for this job...lol.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1987 F150 Flareside 4x4 Restoration Video

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I can't imagine it coming in for less than $40K US.  Man, that is a LOT of work.  And good work too.

Had to LOL when she was trying to put the headliner in.  I have not been successful doing it that way.  Much easier to use supports and put it in a bit at a time.

Anyway, the truck looks wonderful!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

snakebite8
still cheaper to fix that truck up then buy a new one!   looks good!!
Joe from NJ. 1985 F150 shortbed with 4.9 and its a stick. Put some Black FR500's on it. 17X9 upfront and 17X10.5 in the back.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Thanks for sharing this Cory. This is an impressive makeover. Did anyone else notice the mirrors were replaced with 80/81 style heads? I’m not a fan of the interior color, but they did do an amazing job of it. I’ve thought it funny that trucks did not get color matched steering wheels and columns but cars did. I almost pulled a red steering wheel out of an LTD that had our same horn pad shape, but unfortunately it had too many cracks to be attractive. They solved it here with leather. I would have preferred an original style tailgate with letters also.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2