1986 F150 4.9
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1986 farm truck

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  Glad you joined.  

But, you probably missed the email that Jim sent you asking you to go to the New Members Start Here folder, read the guidelines, and then introduce yourself by starting a new thread in that folder.  That is important as we hold everyone to the guidelines so want you to have a chance of reading them.

So, can you assure me you've read them?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Franknsr
Ha ha, you are spot on! In my haste to register and post I blew past that one. backtracking.....
Thanks
1986 F150 4.9
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, you are now good to go.

On the carb, the only way to really determine which one you had is to determine the calibration code.  In the menu above is a page at Documentation/Calibration Info & Part #'s.  In there are pictures of a calibration label like the one that was originally on your engine, usually on the passenger's side valve cover.  If you can find that we can determine exactly which carb it had.

If not, you can probably get close by going to the Application To Parts List tab on that page and finding the 1, 2, or 3 parts list #'s that might apply to your truck.  With that I should be able to get the carb #.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Franknsr
Thanks for the info Gary. Finally had time to come back to this, of course, no sticker on the engine. Tracked my carb down to page 37 of the application to to parts list, but there is no page 37.

Think its time to do some more reading here then start hitting the junkyards to look for a pre '85 carb, distributor, module, and harness. I do have emissions testing in my area, but since it is an OBD based these and this is an 86, I think I'm exempt.If I'm wrong I'll need someone here to mail me a cake with a file in it.
1986 F150 4.9
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Not sure whey you think there isn't a Pg 37 of the parts lists, because if I go to Documentation/CALIBRATION INFO & PART #'S and then the Parts Lists tab I find the page below.  What am I missing?

Reply | Threaded
|

Franknsr
Think that is the calibration guide. I was looking at the Model Application to Parts List Cross Reference Chart.
Turns out this truck is missing more than just the correct carb, so since there is little chance of collecting everything to make it "correct" I'll run down to the local junk yard as someone suggested and grab a complete Duraspark system off another truck.
1986 F150 4.9
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If the truck is missing a number of things then you have a dilemma.  You have to find basically all of the pieces to put it back to its original state or ditch the emissions and go with a DS-II ignition system and non-feedback carb.