classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
209 messages Options
123456 ... 11
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Alternator pic

Weberman
Thats a GM 10si alternator. Max was 100amps and that was usually just on tractors..I think the biggest on cars was 63 or 72 amps. As you can see the mounting ear is shorter than a Ford and the bolt hole is smaller too, so its probably drilled out or something else is going on.. It at least doesn't look like a one wire so it'll turn on immediately but has horrible idle amps.. its been a couple years since I worked at the alternator and starter shop but I dont think the 100amp ones put out over 15 at idle on the bench.
1982 Bronco  -  5.8L/C6  -  1406 Edelbrock, Weiand Stealth Intake, Comp XE266, AFR Enforcers
2004 F350 Crew Cab  -  6.0L/ZF6  -  Bulletproofed, tuned SCT X4
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Thanks for that expert and concise information.

Obviously a 3G would be much better in this application.
Maybe somebody went with a GM alternator because the Leece-Neville is $600 or more.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
In reply to this post by Weberman
I would definitely do a 130 3G here. As stated I'm sure the Leece is expensive and anything above stock alternator amperages start to get shakey. Like a 200amp 3G for example. They made stators we could buy that would indeed do 200 amps, but the idle would start to get worse which is mostly what they wanted it for(stereo builds and the such). Unless you start paying for a good one which is usually $1+/amp, the idle amperage starts to go down. And especially on these trucks where demands aren't high and if you're going to take a lot of the lights off I think you said. Even if not, LED ambers and reds could go in place and reduce the power draw a lot.
1982 Bronco  -  5.8L/C6  -  1406 Edelbrock, Weiand Stealth Intake, Comp XE266, AFR Enforcers
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Plus it fits.
It's a known quantity.
It's $70 delivered to your door.

For about $100 all in you'll have an alternator you can replace anywhere.
That will put out up to 100A without straining the belt.
That will put out more at idle than any 2G and most 1G can at redline.
That doesn't need a stack of washers to cobble it into place.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Plus it fits.
It's a known quantity.
It's $70 delivered to your door.

For about $100 all in you'll have an alternator you can replace anywhere.
That will put out up to 100A without straining the belt.
That will put out more at idle than any 2G and most 1G can at redline.
That doesn't need a stack of washers to cobble it into place.
Amen!

When I got Big Blue it had a Powermaster on it.  But it was making noises and I pulled it to find the bearings were bad.  When I got to asking around it was based on a 10si and Powermaster said I'd have to send it in - they don't sell parts.  

Fortunately  had left the 1G's wiring harness and regulator in place, so I popped an old 1G in and put the Powermaster's parts in a box.  I've been trying to give the piece of junk away since, but haven't found anyone dumb enough to take it.

There's no a nice 3G sitting on there, courtesy of Jim.  Will give me lots of power and can be replaced anywhere.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
A good place to get starters and alternators from is DB Electrical.. its the same supplier we used for our brand new units. Obviously if you're stuck on the side of the road somewhere you don't have too much choice but if you can, thats where I would go. The box stores did some very..interesting things to say the least on some builds. Most of the aftermarket 3Gs seemed pretty solid though so that is good. Other ones weren't as good. There was a GM alternator series that for whatever reason anytime they came in from Autozone or O'Reillys, they were always built with burnt parts. The stator would be painted but whenever we would be cleaning them up and blasted the stators to make them look nice again, the wires would just be black and bad. Bit different on new units from them but some of the wires got close to the case without having any covering for the "just in case"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Take a look at the tab here (Documentation/Electrical/Alternators) marked DB Electrical 130A Tests.  Those are Jim's documents that came with his $70-delivered alternator.  

We agree, DB is the place to go.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I'm really glad I had a narrow mount 3G in good shape to send out to you.

Check the number on that regulator.
I usually stock a couple of the white LRC regulators, but some are grey.
.... I know I have them!

So if it isn't, just drop me a line, I'll get it right out.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I'll check, but I'm not too worried about it.  With a 460 and a serpentine belt (sorry, Bill - polygroove) I don't think rapid startup will be a problem.  But thanks!

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hello new users!

Westerj
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Hi Jim.

things to improve.. .I have 20 threads of action for my truck... How best to provide for parallel project tracking?  ... like subcategories under this project?  One for Exhaust, one for interior.

How about a listing of Salvage yards near my home base that match my vehicle?  That'd be kinda neat.

Plus, we all have location, and vehicle information in our signature files!

Mouse catchin ideas... I might be making up a peanut butter bucket of death in place soon!  

A car coil, mercury switch and a dangling bait come to mind...

1986 f350 Ambulance convert
2WD
project phase
460 v8
Low miles
Reply | Threaded
|

Westerj
Dreaded spray can rebuilds!  doh!  Had seen that on automatics too!  Should i plan on switching to serpentine^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H multigoove belts? I can see ripping off front of motor to do timing gear and likely water pump,. front seal etc.....  but not just yet... working on chassis stuff at the moment ... and thinking about longer term objectives.. want it to be reliable.. so I could jump in and drive 100 miles.  thanks for the pointer to DB Electrical:    https://www.dbelectrical.com/alternators/automotive/ford/f-series/   for fuiture.  I picked up a 100A 1 wire alternator for my mustang project.. but .. hard to replace when on road trip.. right??
2WD
project phase
460 v8
Low miles
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Westerj
Fried rodent is not something you want to ozone your cab over.
I can only say what's worked for me.

IDK too much about yards.
I usually rely on other wrecker drivers to tip me off about parts.

What do you really need.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Westerj
I should get a commission from DB.  

But their low prices, prompt delivery and customer service speak for themselves.
Been doing business with them for a decade and have nothing but positive interactions.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Westerj
Got mouse #2 today.  Woot!  Loop string trick seemed to work/help!  Learning all sorts of stuff here!

1) Need the panel behind both seats (standard cab)... below window...  
2) Need passenger seat.
3) The two refrigerant lines to/from the evaporator have tees in them (for the chilling in the back box).. wanted to put the straight thru tubes back in place... run a belt Crank to water pump to AC Compressor perhaps (since thermactor is missing).
4) Need front grille if I delete the Amber Whelen/sirens ( ... which is  likely...) cut into the grille.
5) Would like to see a working hood latch.  Am seeing some grooved steel impingement from the hood safety latch... normal?

The angle-iron base ( part of ambulance package) seems solid ... hope to extract (and document) the frame as I prep the floor (weld/etch/rusty-Metal/topcoat/) for new vinyl floor.  there are 100 wires and 20 relays I gotta chop out of the console/control panel... about 1" diameter loom of wires..

Whats involved with removing the plastic fenderwell covers inside engine bay?   How tough to remove them to treat/prevent rust under there.. Battery ooze seems to have chewed up some ... 2 batteries, both sides!

Thanks!
2WD
project phase
460 v8
Low miles
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There are several parts to the tank switching system, as I'm learning at this very moment.  There's the switch on the HVAC control panel, the tank switching relay under the hood by the brake master cylinder, and the tank switching valve below the driver on the frame.

Reply | Threaded
|

Westerj
That took over 4 minutes!  good deal!!!!  Hah!  Found it.. the knob was missing... switch was hiding out in the open. Thanks for the pointer!  

DOH!

Heard the second tank has bad fuel in it... How hard is siphoning on these tanks?  

Oh.. forgot something else... plating.. Any reputable plating houses? Wouldn't mind sending off a box o parts. Most of the ambulance Bent-Handles (on each door) are generally rusted, Just the back plate.

Thanks!

John W.
2WD
project phase
460 v8
Low miles
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: F350/460 Ambulance Reprovision

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator

I'm taking the liberty of changing the title of my post back to that of the thread header.
Now replies will make sense from the main page.

There's nothing too difficult about siphoning the tank, but you need to realize fuel goes down the neck in the annular space between the fill hose and the vent tube, so use a small line.
It may take a while but it is probably more controlled.
You're not stealing gas in a dark parking lot, so outright speed shouldn't be an issue.

Tanks rotting is an issue though....
Depending on what you get coming out it is often better to just cut your losses and get a new tank for $100.
I have a cheap usb endoscope camera for my phone.
I would definitely poke around in there and see how crusty/rusty it is.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't have any plating advice.
I mean.... there are plenty of places if you want show chrome.
Hemmings or a hot rod shop should be able to help you locate one of those, but I have no personal experience.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I agree - replace the tank.  I just bought new tanks from Amazon, and they were about $100 each, delivered.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If it's just stale gas I don't see a reason to replace the tank.

But if it's rusty in there cut your losses and move on.
 Jim,
123456 ... 11