1986 F250 parking brake cable seizing up

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1986 F250 parking brake cable seizing up

RenoHuskerDu
Today I attack a job I've postponed for a year. The parking brake has not only gotten very stiff, but it's sticking on now.  I had to run over a rough cattle guard back and forth to loosen it up so I can even get the drum off later today.

I suspect that it's just the cable seizing up in the housing.  I'll pull it and lube it.  The LMC parking brake cable repair kit turns out to be one-size-fits-all including Chevy, so I didn't try that.

Job pics to follow. Any tips welcome.

Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1986 F250 parking brake cable seizing up

kramttocs
Administrator
Thinking it's the front cable or one of the rear cables? Have you disconnected the equalizer to see?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
It's the LR. The equalizer tells the tale, found it in this position:

And the lever in the drum was stuck in an on position:

Found the shoes I'd installed last year are already cracking up. WTH??

Aaaaaaand the root of the tight parking brake problem is the nylon liner failed and wrinkled up.  Lubed up the cable well but that didn't help Got a new one coming from RockAuto, NAPA was gonna be $20 more and same wait. I thought about using a wire wheel to remove the nylon, but it would probably melt and make a mess.  Fortunately, son #1 suggested robbing one from his Bully parts donor truck (Partacus) for now to get the 86 (Puddles) back on the road. I just sealed up his drip rail seams last night, expecting big rain in Texas. Also found him 3 quarts low on oil, serious finger wagging time at the kids! With that 100gal bed tank, it's easy to skip dipstick reading.

Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bummer!  Several problems.  Those shoes aren't O'Reilly's house brand are they?  Jonathan had chunks fall off of his.

Hope you get it going with the Particus bits.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI