1986 F150 5.0 WITH PROBLEMS

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1986 F150 5.0 WITH PROBLEMS

tbirdman
THIS TRUCK WAS BROUGHT TO ME BECAUSE IT WOULD NOT IDLE , RUNS BAD , STALLS . FIRST THING I CHECKED THE IAC . WELL IT HAD A WIRE CUT . PUT IT BACK TOGETHER AND IT KIND OF WANTED TO IDLE . WELL IT RAN FOR A COUPLE MINUTES THEN STALLED . WOULD NOT RESTART. THEN I HEARD A RELAY CLICK AND THE FUEL PUMP RAN . RESTARTED AND DIED . IT WAS THE EEC RELAY I HEARD UNDER THE DASH NEXT TO THE ECM  .  WELL I CHECKED SOME MORE AND SOMEONE HAD DONE SOME MORE CUTTIN AND SPLICIN . AT THE STARTER RELAY , SOLENOID , ON THE FENDER THERE WAS AN INLINE 30 AMP BREAKER FUSE THAT WOULD RESET AFTER A LITTLE BIT . THIS IS WHERE THE POWER WOULD STOP UNTIL IT RESET. I GUESS THE FUSIBLE LINK BURNED ???  OWNER DOESN'T KNOW ANYTHING . WELL IF I UNHOOK THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR IT STAYS RUNNING . THIS ALTERNATOR HAS A THREE WIRE CONNECTOR , TWO ARE BATTERY WIRES TO THE SOLENOID AND THE THIRD IS THE STATOR WIRE BUT IT IS NOT CONNECTED TO ANYTHING . THE REGULATOR CONNECTION HAS ONE MAIN WIRE THAT HOOKS TO THE SAME BATTERY OR SOLENOID CONNECTION . THE MIDDLE IS I THOUGHT THE STATOR WIRE CONNECTION BUT IT GOES TOWARD THE FIREWALL I GUESS TO THE AMMETER  AND IGNITION AND THE THIRD HAS NOTHING . I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND THE SAME WIRING DIAGRAM . I HAD TAKEN THE ALTERNATOR TO HAVE IT CHECKED AND IT IS GOOD . I THOUGHT MAYBE THE REGULATOR MIGHT BE SHORTING . I TRIED RUNNING IT WITH ONE WIRE OR THE OTHER AND IT RUNS BUT WON'T CHARGE . CONNECT BOTH AGAIN AND STALL . I DISCONNECTED THE IAC AT THE BEGINNING TO TRY . PLUS OTHER SENSORS . IT SEEMS THAT AFTER IT RUNS AND WARMS UP TO WHERE IT WILL IDLE LOWER THAT IF YOU START IT AND IT WILL IDLE IT STAYS RUNNING UNTIL YOU RAISE THE RPM'S AND I GUESS IT KICKS THE REGULATOR AND BINGO , DEAD.I KNOW THIS SOUNDS CRAZY AND IT'S LONGWINDED BUT I THOUGHT I'D SEE IF MAYBE SOMEONE MIGHT HAVE A CURE OR IDEA . THE FUSE MAY BE THE PROBLEM BUT IT RAN AND CHARGED WHEN IT CAME IN  .THANKS
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1986 F150 5.0 WITH PROBLEMS

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  Glad you joined us.  

Where's home?  Perhaps you are nearby and someone can help you?

As said in my email response to your question about having posted in the wrong place, you are right.  This folder is for introductions.  And we ask that people first read the guidelines in this section, and then post an introduction message.  We are a small group but we want to get to know each other, and we frequently call each other by our first names.

So my suggestion was that you edit your post, copy the text, delete, and then tell us about yourself and repost.  Then, start a new thread in the main section and either re-type your message or paste it in from the clipboard.  

But, retyping would be good as you could then unlock the Caps Lock key and use both upper and lower case.  And a paragraph break or two.  I say that because I find it hard to read and comprehend what you wrote.  But, if you just paste what you wrote back in I'll do my best with it.  

And, toward solving the problems, have you found the 1986 EVTM (in the menu Electrical/EVTM/1986 EVTM) and all of the wiring diagrams?  All the wiring for the '86 trucks is there.

But the '86 was an oddball to the rest of the Bullnose trucks as most of them got the 2G alternator, with no regulator on the fender.  But we need to know if you have the 1G with the fender-mounted regulator or the 2G with the integrated regulator.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Yes, welcome!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by tbirdman
Tbirdman,
Welcome to the forum!  

You have a failed 2G alternator connection.

The plug & wiring that connects to the alternator is bad, and there are technical service bulletins written about it.
A new pigtail is $10-15.

You can find a copy in the documentation of the 3G installation instructions under 'electrical'

And I have to agree with Gary.
As the New Members Introduction says, making an effort to use punctuation and whitespace will have our membership a lot more likely to even read your posts and offer help.
Looking at a wall of ALL CAPS text makes some want to skip right past and ignore it.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
ArdWrknTrk wrote
.....Looking at a wall of ALL CAPS text makes some want to skip right past and ignore it.
Yup. I skipped right to the end.

Anyway, I am not very active on here, but welcome. The older retired guys are better help than me, and they lived through the era these trucks were all over the road....I was a newborn when the last bullnose came off the line.

Welcome.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed