classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1986 F-250HD

OlBlue
Greetings all.

I'm Ethan. New here, obviously, but I've been lurking around here and there digging for advice and the like. Had my truck for a while but just now getting her back to life. 1986 F-250HD extended cab, 4x4, 460, 4.10s, A/C even. Originally a T-19 truck. Can't tell if it had the "tow" package that took max tow from 3500lbs to 12,500lbs - not sure it'd matter.

Here's the truck - not the prettiest, and for the moment she doesn't get the job done either, but hopefully she will soon. Been an odyssey so far - bought for $1500 from an elevator repairman who, after working on his truck some, well... I don't know that I'd trust his elevators. Regardless, shot bearings and a blown rear main later, I got major "while I'm here" syndrome and ended up with a mild build 460 and a ZF-5 swap. Just working on getting it all finished and ready to run again.

As you can see, it's all back together, pretty much. Here's one of the problems (beyond stubborn slave cylinders):

This is a vacuum setup that I'm fair certain was slapped together by the previous owner. The left line I'm 100% certain came from the valve cover PCV valve - I left the PCV valve in, so even I could figure that out - and I'm 90% certain the bottom goes to the PCV input on the carb (tubing seems the right shape/length, and it matches the vacuum diagrams as best I can figure). However, I can't for the life of me remember where the right line goes - and I can't really find out where. It's long enough to reach the radiator, but that makes no sense. Any ideas? Should I just plug it and be done with it?

Anyways, thanks for your time - glad to be here as a user.

P.S. Anybody tried fitting STA 9x16 Superlugs to a truck like mine or similar? Don't really want a lift/cutting and don't want tires that rub, but these 235/85r16s are just tiny.
Blue: 1986 F-250HD, 460, ZF-5, 4WD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1986 F-250HD

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome, Ethan!  Glad you joined.  

However, the email you were sent asked you to make your first post in the New Members Start Here folder - after reading the guidelines.  We ask that because that's where we keep the guidelines and since we hold everyone to them want you to have had a chance to read them.

So please confirm that you've read them?  Then we can proceed with the discussion about your truck.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

OlBlue
Gary,

Yes, I have read the guidelines - my apologies if I've made this post in the wrong place. I'm not terribly good with forums or really technology in general, so my mistake. If you like I can delete this post and move it over there? Sorry for the trouble.

Thanks,
Ethan
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No problem, Ethan. This happens frequently, and we just want to make sure that you’ve read them. So we are good.

As for the vacuum lines, I would plug the unused line and get the truck running. Then you may discover the need for the other line.

Typically vacuum is used for the speed control, HVAC system, air cleaner snorkel, and the charcoal canisters that collect fuel vapors. And the C6 tranny but you now have a ZF5 - which you’ll love, I’m sure.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

OlBlue
Gary,

Appreciate the advice. You're probably right about speed control or emissions - but I'm pretty sure all the EGR was trashed and regardless it's gone now, so I'll just plug the line and see what's what.

re: the ZF-5: they seem to be good transmissions for sure, and when I was driving her for what little time I could, there was a definite need for an overdrive. Just hoping I got the shifter tower in right, it's a brand new transmission so 1st/2nd/reverse are pretty tight. Great box, though - have one in my super duty that gets the job done pretty well.

Thanks for your help.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by OlBlue
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD