1986 F-150 XLT "Ellie"

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1986 F-150 XLT "Ellie"

Wesley
Starting a thread to detail progress fixing up my truck.

A little history: Bought in 2008, drove it until 2010 or so. Had to park it when I started college, but kept it running until around 2015. Had it towed to my mechanic a couple weeks ago and asked them to get it turning over and safe to make it a few miles home. Will post a few more pictures when I finish cleaning it up.

Just serviced:
Fuel injectors
Fuel lines
Fuel tank, forward
Master cylinder
Brake lines
Tires

To do soon:
Replace some light bulbs
V belts
Radiator hoses
Heater hoses
Diagnose high/oscillating idle

To do eventually:
Deal with cab rust
Repaint
Work on interior

Wesley
---
"Ellie" / 1986 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat / 302 / AOD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1986 F-150 XLT "Ellie"

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I call "shotgun" for this ride.  

If you've had that much done to it then it should be about to turn the corner to reliability.  But the idle issue could be a problem.  Sometimes those are tricky to diagnose.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Props to you for keeping it all this time! I bought a truck in 2008 as well, but unfortunately lost interest briefly, and made the decision to sell it in 2017. There will always be a part of me that wishes I had tried a little harder to regain interest.

I hope you'll stick around and keep us updated on the truck.

Reply | Threaded
|

Wesley
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks!

And as for the idle, it's not a problem I recall having before. It runs high for a minute after starting, then when it tries to find normal idle, it falls and then revs back up again. I don't have a tachometer so I can't give numbers. Would welcome suggestions! Wondering about the IAC or the vacuum lines.
Wesley
---
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
IAC, or the MAP sensor by the starter relay.

But does it always hunt at idle, or only when cold?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Wesley
Hey Jim, pretty sure I've let it warm up and it continues. Going to pull codes today.
Wesley
---
Reply | Threaded
|

Wesley
In reply to this post by Wesley
Pulled error codes today and got:

The last one is strange (idle out of range - low) because I'd swear by the sound of it the idle is too high. 41 indicates the engine is running lean. And 34 indicates something wrong with the EGR circuit/sensor or the EVAP control system. Plan to test the EGR valve and vacuum lines to see if I can find the issue.
Wesley
---
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Let me tell you something about OBD1 codes.
There's a hierarchy to them

Always start with the lowest number first.
They are set up so lower numbers are often the root cause of higher error codes.

And I would think that your truck thinks the rpm's are too low, and that's why the IAC has it revving high.

Resolve that.
Reset and check later for codes.
They may very well not come back.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If you have an evap code it may well be a vacuum leak.

But I think you should check into why you're getting a code for 'idle too low' when it's really too high.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
ArdWrknTrk wrote
If you have an evap code it may well be a vacuum leak.

But I think you should check into why you're getting a code for 'idle too low' when it's really too high.
Would a TPS out of adjustment cause this?
Wait maybe not as it would be reading the RPM from the IGN system right?

Never mind me I don't know what I talk about
That is why my truck dose not have a computer, I make all the adjustments.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Wesley
I've got a CD with the shop manual on its way for my truck, but a quick search on a Code 13 indicates I should check for a vacuum leak and then the air bypass valve. Need to pick up a propane torch for that.

I replaced the IAC and TPS on the first go-round (10-odd years ago) but who knows what sitting might have done.
Wesley
---
Reply | Threaded
|

Wesley
Quick clarification -- the Chilton guide indicates a Code 13 actually means the engine couldn't reach its lower RPM limit, NOT that the RPMs are too low. So at least I'm not imagining things.
Wesley
---
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Ok.
But that would suggest that the computer doesn't recognize the actual rpm's.
I understand that V-8 tachs need to be grounded and I-6 engines not.

Perhaps the issue starts there?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Wesley
My F-150 didn't come with a tachometer, but I'd assume the electronics are all there?
Wesley
---
Reply | Threaded
|

Wesley
Belts replaced today, and it turns out my ears aren't as reliable as I thought. Tested for vacuum leaks and didn't find any, then recorded and analyzed audio of my engine at idle. If I did it correctly, I'm estimating an idle RPM in the neighborhood of 600. The idle seems to have stabilized too.

Still throwing those codes though, and I would like to try to resolve them soon-ish. To be continued.
Wesley
---
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Electronics no.  Wiring yes.  Trucks w/o gauges, meaning those with idiot lights, didn't have the wiring for a tach.  But in '86 Ford dropped the idiot lights, so you should have gauges and the wiring should be there.  You just need the tach and, maybe, the flex circuit on the back of the gauges.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Wesley
Hoses, thermostat, front brake pads, wiper blades replaced. Cleaned the air filter (K&N). Truck is overheating, and since the fan is running I suspect it's the water pump? No coolant leak.

The idle issue seems to have resolved itself. Reset the computer, so I'll try pulling codes again and see if they're still there.

A few more odds and ends should make it driveable.
Wesley
---
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Keep plugging away and before you know it it will be done.

How do you know it is over heating?
Dash gauge   or after market gauge or temp gun to get temps and if so from where?
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Wesley
Aftermarket gauge I installed when the dash gauge failed. After replacing the thermostat and coolant I started it up and the temp was holding steady at about 190. Drove it around the neighborhood and it rose steadily up to 220-230 before I got it back.
Wesley
---
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
With the engine running, take off the raidator cap. After the engine comes up to temp, you should be able to see the coolant flowing out of the end of the tubes.

I have seen a radiator plug with coolant in the past. The test I am giving will only tell you it you have flow, thats all. The thermostat being in backwards will also make it not flow.

All I am saying is do some testing before you start changing parts.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC