1986 EFI Emissions Setup

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1986 EFI Emissions Setup

mudjeepin
On my newly acquired F150 I noticed some driveway deleted emissions components. I’ve searched around quite a bit on the forum and internet and haven’t compiled all of the answers yet. Pertinent info is 5.0, EFI, 4-spd, no A/C

It looks like the carbon canister/vapor canister has lost a vacuum connection and a dust/vent cap. It still has the line trailing back to the gas tank along the frame rail:

From my emissions diagram similar to this one:

It looks like I’m missing a vacuum line to somewhere. I believe this should connect to this vacuum line I found just under the intake manifold; there is a cap on a y-junction as seen here:

From the other side it appears these vacuum lines split, one is yellow striped, one is black. I wasn’t able to trace where these went this morning:

Looking at my vacuum tree:

I think everything is connecting similar to this diagram (fig. 2) I found given my truck (no speed control, or ac):

However, it looks like my vacuum reservoir has seen better days as evidenced by the tape. I did not trace the connections from here this morning:

My question is, what do I need to get the system going again? I can see that I’ll need a new vapor canister, is the only way to find the missing dust/vent cap an auto parts yard? I’ll need a new vacuum coffee canister as well. Is the only vacuum line missing between the vapor canister and the y-junction mentioned earlier or are there bits and pieces between them?

TIA!
1986 F-150 5.0 EFI 2WD Manual
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1986 EFI Emissions Setup

Gary Lewis
Administrator
mudjeepin wrote
My question is, what do I need to get the system going again? I can see that I’ll need a new vapor canister, is the only way to find the missing dust/vent cap an auto parts yard? I’ll need a new vacuum coffee canister as well. Is the only vacuum line missing between the vapor canister and the y-junction mentioned earlier or are there bits and pieces between them?
Sorry for the delayed response, but you asked difficult questions.  I think you will need to go to a salvage to get the vent cap.  And the vacuum canister.  And I do think the vacuum line just connects as you've found.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI