1985 f150 vacuum

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1985 f150 vacuum

Arrgo
Forgive me, first post with photo's, new to the forum. If anyone wants or needs more photo's please feeel free to ask. My 1985 F150 originally had a Motorcraft 2150 feedback carburetor, with the eec-v IV emissions system, on a 302. It drives and runs fine, no leaks.

Only 2 photos i have of original Motorcraft 2150, I should have taken more, but oh well, life goes on.

The truck currently has a Holly 2150 replacement. What I am currently trying to do it plug, or removes hoses I do not need.

I've tried rotating it, through nabble and editing it, it does not want to rotate

The smog pump is there, but the belt is removed, and vacuum hoses are detached, so it is not operational. The EGR vacuum have also been removed. The truck runs and drives, no vacuum leaks, it was my daily for a short time, however there are hoses that are open to the elements that I want to plug or remove.

Last photo and question for now, 2 open holes on passenger side of air cleaner. what goes into them, I have absolutely no idea.
2 holes passenger side of air cleaner, what goes into them?

Vacuum line diagram above radiator

1985 F150 XLT Lariat. 302 V8 naturally aspirated. 4 speed AOD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1985 f150 vacuum

FuzzFace2
As for the open hoses you will need to follow them back to were they go and see just what it is and if it needs to be hooked up or not.

If it needs to be hooked up you will need to follow that sticker where it needs to go and hook it back up.
If it dose not need to be hooked up that cap it.

As for the sir cleaner a picture of the whole thing would be nice but lets see what we can come out with.
I know most if not all would have 1 or 2 temp sensors. When they got to a set temp they let vacuum through to open / close or turn on / off something.

Could be the 2 things in the upper right of the sticker?

One of them would go to the flapper valve on the snorkel of the housing to either pull heated air from the exh. manifold when the motor is cold and then flip to pull in cool outside air. They said this sensor will tey and keep the temp at a set temp by moving that door.

Dont know what the other may go to and looking at the sticker picture make my head hurt

You should also have a fresh air PVC breather filter think on the other side, not in picture. The hole looks just like the 2 in the picture.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dave - I agree with you, except ... if that Holley isn't a feedback carb then the ECU is going to have its knickers in a twist and the ignition is going to be locked.  In other words, the system is in limp-home mode.  And if that is the case then there are two choices to make: either put the system back to original, including with a feedback carb, or strip the system off and go to a standard DS-II system.

So before I went very far hooking things back up, I'd want to determine if the timing is locked.  And to do that I'd put a timing light on it and see if the timing changes as you raise the RPM.  If it is locked it won't change.  If it isn't locked it'll change a bunch.

I found out about this the hard way - I bought a truck which had the feedback carb removed and a standard carb put in its place.  The timing was locked and yet the truck ran ok.  However, it didn't really have the power it should have had, and the MPG was about 10.  After realizing that finding a feedback carb was going to be difficult, and even if I did the rest of the butchery done to the system would make it difficult to correct, I pulled the EEC-III system off and went DS-II.  The power and MPG both came back nicely.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary you are right on the ECU and needing everything in place, hooked up and the biggie WORKING.

Being he has the newer carb and nothing in the 2 openings in the air filter I was guessing he did not have the air filter parts after painting or he would not of asked what went in them.
He also has the air pump disabled and that would be another issue for the ECU.

So he may want to look into that timing test and if it locked go with a DSII dist.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dave - We are completely together.  As you said, it takes everything working before the ECU will unlock the timing.  And that can be a really tough problem to solve.

It is one thing to fix a system that has been working and just failed.  But to fix one that hasn't been working since before you bought it might be a bridge too far.

The difference is that you can rely on the system to tell you a few things that are wrong.  So if something just failed it can probably ID what the problem is.  However, if the system doesn't see the feedback carb, EGR, and other things it is going to be overwhelmed.

So I'd do the timing test.  And unless you need to pass emissions testing, if the timing is locked I'd convert to DS-II.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Arrgo
The truck was actually my great grandfathers, he bought it brand new, and kept great care of it. It had a small fire in the engine bay that burnt a handful of the vacuum lines after he passed, and it sat for some years. And by what you are saying, it would just be easier to rip the ecu system out? I’ve been struggling with the vacuum for months. I have not tested the timing but I will as soon as possible. Also, I do not need to worry about emissions.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I am very glad that you are keeping the truck in the family.  But getting an EEC-III system back into operation isn't an easy task.  I looked into it on the '82 I bought and decided against it.

Instead I cut the wiring that went to the ECU, which was under the seat for 1982, and then followed each wire back to its "system" and removed that system.  In the end I had a tote full of "stuff", including the EGR system, TAD and TAB relays, MAP sensor, etc.

Then I replaced the distributor with a DS-II unit, bought a DS-II ignition box and DS-II engine wiring harness and installed that.  The truck ran much better when I was done.

But, if you want to get the EEC-III system working we will help you as much as we can.

Reply | Threaded
|

Arrgo
I can and will take more detailed photos, the entire system is there, and most of I believe is hooked up electrically, it’s just the carb and vacuum which I have to worry about right now, and sensors more than likely, I have not looked into many of the engine sensors yet.

I believe I managed to find the same carb rebuilt or refabricated, if all it takes is the carb, trace and fix the vacuum lines, I would not mind trying, however, when I’m getting more detailed photos and information and it seems more trouble than it’s worth, than I’ll pull it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We will be happy to help you.  But it would be a big plus if you have the calibration code.  It'll be on a sticker on the valve cover, and it'll let us find all of the part numbers.