1984 F250 4x4 Supercab 460 4 Speed Rebuild Project

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1984 F250 4x4 Supercab 460 4 Speed Rebuild Project

Jermd21
Hello everyone.  I recently decided to rebuild a truck that has a lot of meaning to me and this website has been a big help so far so I figured I would join.  My dad bought this truck new in late 1983 and I remember riding home in the back seat from the dealership when I was 5.  

I took it over as a daily driver in high school around 1994 and drove it through college.  We then gave it to my older brother but he passed away in 2001.  It has been sitting at our property in Central Texas ever since with hopes of getting to it one day.  When my dad passed away in September of 2023 I figured it was time.  I'm married with 3 kids so I don't have as much time to devote to this as I'd like but I'll get to it when I can.  

I'm trying to decide just how deep I want to go with this.  I plan to rebuild the engine, transmission, transfer case and axles for sure since they've been sitting so long.  The fuel and electrical systems probably need to be replaced as well.  The body is straight but it does have some rust so I will probably get it repainted.  As I get more and more into it it seems like I am going to take it down to the frame but I think that might be a little more than I can do so we will see.  

I plan to update this thread with pictures of my progress but I will probably be asking specific questions in other threads if I run into problems.  Thanks in advance for all of your help.  This should be a very fun project.  
1984 F250 4x4 SuperCab Longbed XLT
460 V-8 w/4 Speed Manual Transmission
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1984 F250 4x4 Supercab 460 4 Speed Rebuild Project

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Welcome!  

We Love family vehicles, even if there's a bit of sad history behind it
Gary is creating a shrine in his father's honor.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
 welcome .
I second that about the family vehicles. are any kids old enough and interested at all? if so, don't miss that opportunity for anything.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, I third that.

But, I will say that taking it down to the frame is a lot of WORK!  (credit to Maynard G. Krebs.)  You are looking at a multi-year expensive project as every time you start to do something you'll say "Well, while here why don't I..."  And while there's a lot of truth and satisfaction in that, when you are done you'll have a trailer queen that cost a fortune.

I don't know where to stop and I've spent way too much on both Big Blue and Dad's truck.  But if you know how and where to stop then it is a good idea.  In any case, I'm onboard for the trip!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Jermd21
In reply to this post by mat in tn
Thanks guys.  My boys are old enough but they don't express much interest in this project.  We stay pretty busy with school and baseball.  I'm hoping that at some point it will be appealing to them.  I definitely intend to hand it down to them at some point.  
1984 F250 4x4 SuperCab Longbed XLT
460 V-8 w/4 Speed Manual Transmission
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Just the fact that you are picking it up is enough.  
Who knows what the next generation will do.
I have a member here in CT who's sig says keep your kids interested in sports and outdoor activities and they won't have time to get in trouble.
So you're definitely doing the right thing!
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Jermd21
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E