1983/84 DK Harbor Blue - correct shade of blue PARTIALLY solved. Need Carpet code

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
82 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1983/84 DK Harbor Blue - correct shade of blue PARTIALLY solved. Need Carpet code

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I had planned to re-use the original carpet on Big Blue.  And while I don't yet know that it won't fit very well due to the taller transmission cover needed for the ZF, I'm pretty sure that's the case from my remembrance of doing the same thing on Dad's truck.  But I've now realized that I don't have a piece of carpet for the back wall, and it would sure look a lot better if I did instead of having the foam insulation showing back there.

Given that, I'm thinking about getting new carpet, including some for the back wall.  And I'm pretty sure I want to use ACC's carpet with the mass backing, which I think means the Essex line.  Right?

But lots of questions come to mind, and while I plan to call ACC tomorrow perhaps y'all may already have answered them.

First, the ZF5 was originally offered in 1987, but the other manual transmissions were still used as well.  And in looking at the MPC there were two different transmission covers used, one for the T-18 and one for the 5-speed, which would be the ZF5.  But ACC doesn't list, from what I can see, different carpets for the different transmissions.  Have any of you thought through this?

Also, the colors appear to have changed in '87 and the Regatta Blue color that Big Blue has was no longer used.  So I'll have to go with a different blue, and ACC only shows Lapis (1017A) and Midnight (1044A) as the options for 1987 - 96 trucks.  Have any of you gotten those two samples?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1983/84 DK Harbor Blue - correct shade of blue PARTIALLY solved. Need Carpet code

salans7
My T19 came from a 1987, and the seller included the transmission cover. It is the older style cover, and not the ZF cover. I have a hard time believing the ZF was offered in 1987, as the transfer case shifter still came through the transmission cover. That changed in 1988 when they moved it to the side of the transmission tunnel, and that's when I think the ZF5 and the taller cover started. Maybe late 1987 was an option, but I've never seen an early 87 with a ZF5.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
salans7 wrote
I have a hard time believing the ZF was offered in 1987, as the transfer case shifter still came through the transmission cover. That changed in 1988 when they moved it to the side of the transmission tunnel, and that's when I think the ZF5 and the taller cover started. Maybe late 1987 was an option, but I've never seen an early 87 with a ZF5.
The only 5spd in 1987 was the ZF5, and if I recall correctly it was ONLY offered with the F350 2wd (and maybe it was only the diesel, but I'm not sure). Both the ZF5 and M5OD were not offered in all of the other trucks until 1988. The 5spd tunnel covers are all the same whether 2wd or 4x4, so that makes them a little easier to find.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
But ACC doesn't list, from what I can see, different carpets for the different transmissions.  Have any of you thought through this?
Gary,

I have thought about this and discussed with ACC, or at least the Canadian distributor, who was fairly knowledgeable on the topic. Forget about 1987 as any kind of reference...use 1988-1991. I have the same 5spd tunnel cover in my '84, and when I do finally order new carpeting, I plan to order it to fit the 88-96 tunnel cover. Everything else is the same. You'll have to cut the hole for the shifters and high beam button, but you'd have to do that with the 1980-1996 carpet anyway.

Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
Gary, you can get the mass backing on the regular cutpile too, the Essex is just the thicker 'premium' carpet. Mass backing gets added to whichever base carpet you choose. And by all means call ACC, but buy from RA if you want to save $$. The carpet is still sent from ACC.

And yes, only the two options for transmission tunnel shapes, 80-86 and 87-96. Also, I think the differences are a little more than just the cover shapes, looking at the pictures on the website. Their advice on which to go with will probably be your best bet there. My opinion(for what it's worth) is that the carpets don't exactly fit like a glove anyway, they fit well, but not perfect. So either will probably work. You'll either have it fitting well around the tunnel and less well elsewhere or vice versa. The 80-86 do have cutouts for the dimmer switch, seat and seat belt bolt holes though. I suppose the 87-96 do as well.

As for the back carpet, I have no idea if the piece they sell for the later models will fit ours(I suppose it would), but I called them and ordered a yard directly from them for less than the pre-cut piece. Just a thought.
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
salans7 wrote
I have a hard time believing the ZF was offered in 1987, as the transfer case shifter still came through the transmission cover. That changed in 1988 when they moved it to the side of the transmission tunnel, and that's when I think the ZF5 and the taller cover started. Maybe late 1987 was an option, but I've never seen an early 87 with a ZF5.
The only 5spd in 1987 was the ZF5, and if I recall correctly it was ONLY offered with the F350 2wd (and maybe it was only the diesel, but I'm not sure). Both the ZF5 and M5OD were not offered in all of the other trucks until 1988. The 5spd tunnel covers are all the same whether 2wd or 4x4, so that makes them a little easier to find.
That makes more sense and is in line with what I've seen. Thanks for the clarification Cory!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by salans7
I'm glad I have the "one year wonder" '87 Zf cover then!

Raised straight back and both sticks in the 'tray'.

I don't think I'd like the 4x4 stick on the side of the tunnel.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Ok guys, you've helped a lot.  

But, you've raised some other questions:

T-Case Shift Lever: I am going with the through-the-cover 1980-87 shift lever, so if I buy an "87-96" carpet I'd better get one for a 2wd and cut my own hole as one for a 4wd would have it in the wrong spot.
 Correct?

Curtain: ACC doesn't show a "curtain", which is presumably the piece on the back wall, for the Bullnose trucks.  Just 1987 - 96.  Given that, it would seem that I'll either need to go to the 87-96 colors and get carpet and curtain to match, or do like someone on her did and order carpet by the foot and have it bound.  Agreed?

Colors: I'm lost with picking the right color.  Cory, in this pic you show samples but don't say which is which.  Can you clarify?

And it is said that "7879" is the right one for you'se guys with '83 and '84 trucks, even though those are supposed to have two different blues in the interior.  And I have an '85.  In this snag of Essex blues for '85 I don't see anything that comes close to Regatta Blue.

But in this snag of Cut Pile colors I do see a Regatta Blue.  Nowhere do I see 7879.  Do I need to get a bunch of samples?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
"I don think that means what you think it does".  

Can you expand those thumbnails a bit?

I imagine you would want the 2WD carpet.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
"I don think that means what you think it does".  
Not sure what that means.  But the pics are as big as I can make them now.  

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
You definitely want the 2wd carpet.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
Gary Lewis wrote
T-Case Shift Lever: I am going with the through-the-cover 1980-87 shift lever, so if I buy an "87-96" carpet I'd better get one for a 2wd and cut my own hole as one for a 4wd would have it in the wrong spot.
 Correct?
You have to cut the holes for the shifters regardless, there are no cutlines on any of the carpets on the transmission tunnel area.
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gary Lewis wrote
I'd better get one for a 2wd and cut my own hole as one for a 4wd would have it in the wrong spot.
 Correct?
Colors: I'm lost with picking the right color.  Cory, in this pic you show samples but don't say which is which.  Can you clarify?
Gary, I don't think it matters as the 2wd and 4x4 carpets will be made on the same mold. You have to cut all the shifter holes and high beam button hole, seat bolt holes, etc.

I'll get the sample numbers of those carpets samples for you.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Im a simple man.

IDK, but from what I can see, I like 'blue' blue.
If there was a bleu I would probably go with that...  ðŸ˜‰
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, thanks guys.  I think.  Shaun says 2wd for sure.  Cory says "I don't think it matters...".  And Rob says it doesn't matter.       ()

On the other hand, ACC's site makes you choose if it is 2wd or 4wd, and RA has differing part numbers for 2wd vs 4wd.  So obviously this will be a question for them tomorrow.

Let's talk seat belts though.  Are the '87 and later seat belts, not the shoulder belts, in the same location as the Bullnose ones?  IOW, if there are holes, which there may not be, they'd be in the same spots?

And, where does the "curtain", meaning the carpet on the back wall, attach?

As for color, a dark blue would be fine.  Maybe the Midnight Blue.  I'm probably going to have to ask for samples.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, I just got off the phone with Kendra at ACC.  She really knows her stuff, but I almost drowned in all the information.  Let me try to document some of it:

Mass Backing: It is available on either Cut Pile or Essex, but you don't see it as an option until the very last step in the check out process

Colors: Their color names have nothing to do with factory color names.  So just because they call one color Regatta Blue doesn't mean that it matches Ford's Regatta Blue.  And, Cut Pile colors are completely different than Essex colors.  In fact, the Essex colors were never offered by Ford.  For example, you can order Midnight Blue in carpet for a '78, an '85, and a '96.  It'll be the same color, but it will not match anything Ford offered.

Holes: There are no holes cut in any of the carpets.

2wd vs 4wd: She said that there are differences in the floor pans for 2wd vs 4wd.  Apparently she is including the transmission cover in "floor pan" as an auto-transmissioned 4wd truck has a transmission cover that an auto-transmissioned 2wd truck does not have, so I'm guessing that's what the difference is.  But, she said there are other differences between the 80/86 and the 87/96 floor pans, like the foot wells and the risers for the seats.  And given those differences an '87/96 carpet is not going to fit a Bullnose truck perfectly.

Curtain: The fact that they don't offer a curtain, or back-wall carpet for the Bullnose truck while they do for the 87-96 trucks means that something changed between the two cabs.  She doesn't know what changed, but the 87/96 curtain won't be a perfect fit in a Bullnose truck, which is why they don't offer it.  But it may work fine - she doesn't know.

So, I have them sending 5 blue samples: 839 Federal Blue; 8082 Crystal Blue; 9304 Regatta Blue; 7766 Blue; and 1044A Midnight Blue.  All but the latter are Cut Pile colors as they are the only ones that will match the factory color.  Midnight Blue is the Essex color.

So, now I'm going to beaver away and get the "insulation" in so I can lay the original carpet in and see how well/poorly it fits.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I think the only thing that changed in the back of the cab for '87 was the corner cover trim, because the retractors moved from the floor to the B pillar.

I may be wrong, but I think the step and cab wall are identical.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'll take a picture of how the back wall 'curtain' is on my truck.

Eta: I always thought it odd that my truck had a rubber mat and carpet back there, but..
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That would be helpful, Jim.  Thanks!  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Do you see how it fits behind the corner trim?

And under the window?

Jim,