classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1982 F-150 Rear Brake Job - Sanity Check

TechnoViking
This post was updated on .
Started digging into a rear brake refresh on an '82 F-150 with (AFAIK) a 9" rear; admittedly the first time I've messed with drum brakes beyond old dirt bikes. Got new drums, shoes, hardware, wheel cylinders & link pins from Rock Auto and everything appears to match the dimensions & configuration of the old setup. I wire wheeled and brake cleaned all of the mating surfaces before installing the new components. My main concern is that the shoes don't seem to want to rest on the anchor pin; there's about a 1/4-1/2" gap from the top contact point of the shoes. The parking brake is released, adjuster is fully closed/shortened, the wheel cylinder doesn't have any fluid pressure (line is disconnected) and the links can be retracted into the cylinder fine. The drum seems like it will go on but it's a tight fit the way the shoes are sitting now.

My other concern is that the forward link seems to be pushed up by the primary shoe and is not riding parallel to the wheel cylinder. I noticed this on the old components as well but at least the shoes seemed to sit on the anchor pin before. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious. Here are photos for reference (excuse the brake grease; I didn't wipe of the excess before taking these):

Old:

New:

- EJ
- EJ

1982 F-150 4x2 300ci C6 Flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1982 F-150 Rear Brake Job - Sanity Check

viven44
Drum brakes are indeed tricky vs discs. The shoes don't settle in real nice when you first assemble them but once you get the drum on they kind of settle better. The drums are generally very tight as well but should be able to install them.
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project
Reply | Threaded
|

TechnoViking
A helpful soul pointed out that the parking brake link bar spring is compressed. After checking the cable movement, I realized that this side is completely seized in a partially engaged position - mystery solved.
- EJ

Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Great news! Glad you trusted your instincts and realized things didn't look correct.
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by TechnoViking
Good catch!!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
definitely a 9"axle.  if you discovered a seized cable it a real good idea to replace them both. do them in prs like you would the brake shoes themselves .
Reply | Threaded
|

essmaker
Looking at your new pics, I see a lot of grease on the parts. What grease is that? Might be a bit much, but I can't tell. I would hate for it to glob off and gum up your shoes.

Not an expert or saying that you are doing anything wrong...just a question.
Erik

1985 F150 4x4 - 351W, C6 - work in progress
Reply | Threaded
|

TechnoViking
For sure - I made a mess with the brake grease and didn't wipe down the excess before taking those pics.

It's Permatex EXTREME in the purple bottle:

- EJ