886 messages Options
12345678 ... 45
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yeah, that might be a bit rich.  Check that the choke is coming off.

As for lists, I have a pretty intensive one for EFI'ing Big Blue.  And a reason for that is that there are some things that need to be done after another but before yet another.  For instance, the fuel system needs to be done with the tranny, t-case, driveshafts, et al out.  So I am thinking through the order of things.  It is really like a chess game.  

What rear diff do you have?  And, where's it leaking?  Pinion seal?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
Gsmblue wrote
Parts to be ordered:
Rear bumper (local wreckers)

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ford-trucks.com-vbulletin/2000x1504/80-dscn8962_b22a1f78ab724c23b26fe0b57fcd15e24ceb3151.jpg

Wheels... I don't like these wheels or tires 
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/OVkAAOSwwGdZ1ADH/s-l1600.jpg

Gsmblue,

Depending on your time frame, I have a chrome rear bumper which will be brought to the GTG in September @ Skiatook, OK. It can barely be seen in the first photo [link].

Regarding the wheels [see 2nd link], Ford F834 [Jonathan] has a very nice set of factory "buggy wheels", something like the photo, except his are nicer and have the trim rings with 2 red stripes. They are 7.25" wide. Contact him for information. I am sure that if they are still available, he can bring them to Skiatook, also.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Thanks for the info!Greatly appreciated!

I am not going to be able to make it to the meet up, Too much crazy happening here - we are building a house and I am saving all my vacation for that.

That bumper, what I can see of it, looks in excellent condition! I would like that on my truck!  The bumper at the local wreckers is cheap and matches the Bronco perfect, so I will probably go for that.

In terms of wheels.... The lady will pick them out... She likes what I have on my truck (American Racing Outlaw II). There is a long way to go before those are the top of the list...
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Got the front 4 shocks seapped out. WOW! What a difference! Taking a break before tackling the rear ones!

Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I was amazed how much better Dad's truck rode with quad Sensatracs up front than whatever Dad had on it.  I expected it to be harsher, but it was actually softer and yet much more "planted".

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Th shocks I pulled off were in far worse shape than I anticipated. I could easily compress them and they fizzed and popped the whole compression and expansion cycle. We have some gravel roads and roundabouts and rutted asphalt around us. Now, I and not saying Espy rode like my LR3 which is crazy smooth for an SUV, but she had far better road manners than I ever expected. When I get to change those crappy tires out it will be just grand 😎

I have noticed some of the body mounts look a little tired... I may add that to the list for down the line.. as well as the the rear sway bar bushings which are shot.

Oh, I have play in my steering box.. I tightened the adjuster 1/8 turn and it feels better, but a blue top is on the list.

Power mirrors stopped working again... grrrr.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Shocks can make such a huge difference, but people don't seem to realize that and put up with worn out ones for way too long.  These trucks don't have the best suspension design, but properly set up they do pretty well.

And tires/wheels make a big difference as well.  Rusty had some large M&S tires on heavy steel wheels and I replaced them with Dad's aluminum wheels with street tires.  I was surprised both by the difference in weight as well as the ride and handling.  The lighter tires & wheels sure helped.

As for adjusting the box, I've found that any adjustment tighter takes away the feel and the return-to-center.  In my experiments, which have been short as they were unsatisfactory, I've always gone back to the original setting and lived with the slop until the box could be replaced.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Wheels and tires will be the last thing I take care of... Mainly because what is there is safe and functional, even if they are ugly.

It is clear the steering box has to go. I will order one in a couple of weeks, I need to finish up all the bits I have parts for right now before I order anything else.. The budget has been blown the last month.

I just went back and read all the work I have done so far. I feel like I have made real progress! The electrics are annoying me. There is a bundle of wires in the driver side kick panel that I think are the problem. There is a very old looking brake controller type thing in there and some crappy wiring. I will post pics at some point ad try and strip all that out...

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Replaced the driver side power lock actuator. That was fiddly. Haynes manual was useless!

So now both power locks work!

Replaced all the speakers. The rears will need some work. The previous owner just cut holes in the old grills. I will make some replacement plates out of MDF and spray blue to match. Easy job just didn’t fancy it tonight.

Speaker cable to rear left speaker has a disconnect somewhere. New stereo arrives next week so will run new cables then and do the plates at the same time.

Time to look up how to bench test the clock!

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Hopefully the new head unit will come with decent wires.  Those in Big Blue are a joke.  So small and yet the head unit claims big wattage - which would never flow through those wires.

Clock wiring is here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/digital-clock.html

Anyway, sounds like good progress.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Holy smokes that was fast! Thank you. Now I need to understand what I am looking at, probably a tomorrow activity...

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
As for the head unit.. yeah, the wires get thinner every year!

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I was trolling email when the notification came in, and I know right where I've put the '81 EVTM, so a quick response was easy.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I just bought the 81 EVTM on ebay, clearly a useful resource, it will help enormously with my electrics issues.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
While I think buying an EVTM rather than relying on my on-line versions is a good idea since you can put your fingers in pages and flip back and forth, I'm not sure a 1981 version is the best for you.  I say that because it will not contain any info on Eunice's EFI system.  But it will work very well for the issues with Espy.

To explain what little I know of EVTM's:

1980: The wiring for these trucks had some differences to 1981 and later trucks, especially in the instrument wiring

1981: The first of the "standard" wiring for the Bullnose trucks, but doesn't contain anything about EFI and probably has very little about the EEC-III or IV ECM

1982: Pretty heavy into EEC systems, feedback carbs, etc

1983: Should have the first of the 460's and diesels, but the pages on the 460's will be the first iteration of the evolving fuel system.

1984: The hot-fuel handling package on the 460 should show up as well as TFI ignitions.  But DS-II is still shown for 351HO's and 460's.

1985: Probably much the same as the '84 EVTM, although there may be another iteration on 460's fuel system.  But I don't think this one gets into the 1985.5 changes to the fuel systems.

1986: The first thing to note is that for '86 Ford did away with the dots and hash marks on the wiring, so this version of the EVTM may be confusing if used on earlier trucks.  However, there really isn't that much change as the dots and hash marks just became stripes.  Also, this one should have the mid-year changes to the fuel systems with, if I remember correctly, the elimination of the 6-port valve.

In addition to all of that, there was a change to the clock wiring some place in there.  And, there were new radios, tape decks, and CB's added over the years.  So, the earlier EVTM's may not show some options that were on later trucks.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Thanks Gary. Good points.

I picked up the 1981 EVTM for about $15. Like you said, it is so much easier to have a book in hand when working on these things.

Inevitably I will pick up the 1986 for Eunice. Although she is running perfectly right now, I would like to have the EVTM on hand just in case!

Also - ordered up door hinge pins.. I hate changing them out but they make a huge difference...

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Didn’t get to do much this weekend, but here is the update for the last few days is:

Pulled the trim out of the cab and painted with colorbond blue from LMC. Second can ordered, should have got more!

Pulled headliner out. It is missing headliner material but is mostly in one piece. Ordered navy blue diamond pattern padded vinyl for it.

Pulled the dash pad out, that thing is a disaster. Not sure what to do there. Cleaned all the dust and dead bugs out of the dash.

Faffed with the back up lights, they now work.

Made MDF mounts for 6x9 speakers in the rear. Maybe one day I will get replacement grills and go back to 6x8. Installed 6.5 up front. All infinity reference. Sounds much better. New stereo arrives this week.

Replaced vacuum modulator in case it would help the shifting. It didn’t. It shifts in a very positive fashion still... too positive!

Replaced the fuse for the power mirrors. They work left to right not up/down. Good enough!

Center console is in and matching locking latches have been ordered for that and the glove box.

The rear seat is in!

Put some spark lead holders in. I got the ones that mount to the valve cover bolts. Not the greatest things but they seem to work.

The steering is still pretty shitty. My truck feels better! So I will order a blue top in a week or so..

All the window weather strips have bedded in real nice, open and close nice and smooth.

Put some windshield sealant around the top of the windshield. On closer inspection it may be the rain gutter joint. I will pour some water over it tomorrow.

That is all I can think of right now... really need to get to the vacuum lines and interior lights...

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow, that's a lot!  Well done.  But, I'm not familiar with the term "faffed".  Not sure I should even type it to ask.  I'll assume it is closely related to "futzing".

Infinity Reference - I hope your truck is quieter than Big Blue as those are good speakers but you sure couldn't notice the difference between them and others in my truck.  Maybe when I get the Magnaflow muffler on I'll think about good speakers.

Isn't it time for some pictures?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Haha! Futzed indeed! Infinity reference are not that expensive and are a nice speaker to run off a stereo without big amps..

Yes, pics! Tomorrow when I am at my laptop and can get them rotated!

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Lots done today. Well, many hours spent getting stuff done..

Thanks to the EVTM link from Gary the clock, dome lights, courtesy lights, under hood light are all working. Just thr map lights and glove box lights want to stay dark...

Installed the new stereo. New wires to all speakers. Soldered at the speakers, crimps at the stereo

New headliner turned out way netter than i thought! Bery happy!

All painted trim put back in. I still need to do thr the rear passanger panels, prob paint those tonight.

Hmm. Thought i got more done... the impact is huge I guess..

Here are the pics to prove all the work from this week. Lets see how wonky they are from my iphone

"Eylza Dual-little"
12345678 ... 45