494 messages Options
1 ... 9101112131415 ... 25
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1981 straight six manual 4x4 project

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, I do not have heat to the intake, but it can't be ice. I believe the ambient temp was 77*F when I left for work yesterday. This all started after the Furnace Creek gas fill up. I've run enough fuel since then that I don't think the gas is bad, but I wonder if I got some crud in the carb bowl.or maybe a sticky needle valve. I have an inline filter just before the carb inlet but I know they are just gravel catchers. This carb has always had a little stumble when you goose the throttle so I also suspect some accelerator pump badness. It does run really well, so I don't think it has major issues. We will see what a good cleaning and parts kit does. I am not shy about doing that much with it.

I get a lot of pinging with my 240 six, and I've tried various timing settings, but I believe it has a higher CR. With the 300 I have not yet got it to ping but with too much advance it idles like garbage. It gets a very rough stutter and won't idle down to a normal rpm.

Step 1 is get the carb right or replace it. Then I'll break out the vacuum gauge and the timing light and see if I can help it out any. I know they say don't mess with success, but I can always put it back 😉
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, you can easily have gotten some crud into the carb from the bad gas.  Case in point: My original '69 Bee was essentially brand new when I got a tank of bad gas.  The gas mileage went away and it ran poorly as it was obviously quite rich.  I ran that tank out and refilled - to no avail.  I rebuilt the Holley but that didn't fix it.

So I put several cans of gas cleaner in it and we took off from Wichita to Salina.  I could see the gas gauge going down, but we made it to Salina on fumes.  Filled it up and had the same problem.  Stopped at the rest stop on the interstate roughly half way from Salina back to Wichita and pulled the carb down again.  It was spotless inside, but there was a gummy residue on the needles.  I wiped that off, put it back together, and it purred like a kitten - 'til the lakes pipes roared.    (Credit to B. Wilson)

So, I'd tear it down and clean it.  And, since you already have a problem with the accelerator pump, and given what Bill says about those pumps going bad, I'd put a kit in it.

As for the timing, you'll need an allen wrench instead of the timing light.  Just start dialing in more vacuum advance 'til it pings and back off a turn.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Well Gary, you called it on the mpg. This trip was 138.0 miles by the gps, and 8.04 gallons used. Calculates to 17.16mpg. Mountain driving, cold start this morning 22*F in Bellemont. Still not "ideal" mpg conditions but a good yardstick for me, because it is typical for my usage.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's very good, Jonathan.  But I think with a bit of tuning you can be above 18 MPG, especially when "summer" gas gets there.  And that's very good MPG for a truck of this age.

In fact, my 2015 won't do much more than that on the average - although its tow rating is several times what yours is.  And it does have a few more creature comforts.  And runs like a scalded cat if you step on it.  But MPG?  Not so much.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, for a 37 year old 4x4 that I scraped together on the cheap I certainly can't squawk about either mpg or performance. As the cliche goes, "the payments are easy".

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Not too shabby, I was amazed when I had my 390, it would pull 16-17 highway with a 3.25 gear, LT 235/75R-15 tires and a C6 and it would scat when you stood on it. Didn't do too bad towing either.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
About a week ago I visited the junkyard and picked up a few things for the '81. Namely a new HVAC blower motor to replace my mouse eaten one, an alternator to replace mine that does not seem to charge at idle, and another carburetor (since mine needs attention and I'm down to zero working spares).

I've not been feeling great, and working an odd schedule, so I had not had a chance to try anything. Today before work I decided I had better at least test this stuff while the JY return policy was still in effect. I only had about 35 minutes ...

Went to put the blower motor in and found out that mine has two single prong connectors and the one I pulled (off a 1985) has a double prong connector.. I seem to be stumbling into a lot of this with my 1981. Well, to splice it or return it... that is the question. Not going to happen today at any rate.

Alternator was good. Looks brand new/reman like it just came out of the box and seems to charge at idle. Well, +1 for the day...

Carburetor was a little nasty looking on the outside, but I hooked it up and it purrs like a spoiled kitten. It has the same problem as the other one with hesitating when you stab the throttle. Both have bad accelerator pumps? Maybe, but I am suspicious when two parts behave with an identical fail like that. Both are old JY take-offs, so it's possible, but it does make me wonder about the timing. I think I want to retard it and try again running manifold vacuum. I have no vacuum at idle from the venturi ports, and perhaps it isn't advancing soon enough when you goose the throttle? I will still put a kit in the carb, but it seems like there may be something else here.

Gary, from your carb application info., can you tell me about this base plate number?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well. you seem to have a knack for finding "the right things" in the salvage, and I think you've done it again on the carb.  Carbs Unlimited says that a 7287S YFA is from a 78-84 Ford truck.  And Tarheel Blue says his came from an '80 F150 with DS-II.  But Mike's Carburetor Parts says it is from a '79.

As for the hesitation when you stab it, perhaps you just don't have enough gas coming from the accelerator pump.  If your problem is from idle you might give the idle mix a bit more gas to cover it up.  And, make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks.

And on the blower motor, the 1981 EVTM shows 2 connectors and the 1984, '85, and '86 EVTM's shows 1 connector.  So I can't tell where the change happened.  Sorry.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Thank you Gary! This carb was on a '82 Econoline I believe. Same vehicle I pulled the alternator from. It has the bowl vent with my other one does not, and the little pivoting fork in the front but is otherwise identical. It has a dashpot and what I think may have been a cold idle solenoid but it's melted. It will all unbolt and leave it looking like my other one.

My plan is to run this one a while to give it a good test and give me a chance to rebuild the other one... then switch and see if I fixed the starving out problem and keep this as a back-up.

Another question for the group... has anyone come up with a more elegant solution for converting to manual choke besides the janky little Help! section kits? After a couple times of tightening down the plastic cups they deform and don't want to adjust or clamp securely, and the cable throw is super short compared to carbs that came with manual chokes. Not a huge deal but the whole set up is just annoying.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - I have an Edelbrock manual choke cable, which is very nice, but I can't find anything beyond that for manual choke conversions on their site.  And everything I find on-line looks like a Dorman or HELP unit.  Sorry.

But, I did find a promising hit on a thread on FTE where a guy by the name of 1986F150Six converted his.  Looks like he used a Dorman unit, but you might ask him if that's true.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Thanks for checking around Gary! Let's see if he chimes in on Monday with some expertise. I kind of have a feeling that I will have to engineer and fabricate something if I want improvement. One of the biggest problems is clearance under the air cleaner. A longer lever will give you more throw and finer control, but the whole mess nests into a dimple in the air cleaner pan and you don't have room to raise the cable. If you angle it up it stabs the pan. I battled this for years on my old 1966 F100 as it liked to have choke creep. If you rotate the lever to actuate from below then the cable action is backwards. If I could find an extremely long cable I might be able to route it to pull from the passenger side, but a cable 180* is less than ideal.

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Earlier trucks had manual choke cables OEM. I have one from a '67 I parted. It's going on my '69 428 F100. They are nice pieces, not junk.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Now that's a good idea!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
It ~is a very good idea... what I am using is a cable from my dad's 1966 F100 flareside. It is a bit on the short side, but just reaches the desired mounting location. I want it in the square glow plug lamp hole of my diesel rosewood bezel. The current knob will come off and a bullnose radio knob will go on so it will match the headlight and wiper knobs. A guy on Facebook did it and said the radio knob fits the best... and it looks good.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a cool idea!  

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Ford F834 wrote
Thanks for checking around Gary! Let's see if he chimes in on Monday with some expertise.
The one I am using is a Dorman [or equivalent]. It is as you describe in that the throw is very short. I pull it out no more than 1/4 of the way. The cable was routed through the rubber plug which originally was used for the computer wires as they passed through the firewall. The choke cable runs parallel to the throttle cable and is secured to the throttle cable using small plastic wire ties. It works satisfactorily and does not interfere with the stock air cleaner.

By the way, in warm to hot weather, absolutely no choke is needed to start.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I first have to say I know of this "help" choke kit but have never really had much hands on with the it.

If the arm is hitting the air filter housing and the other person dose not what filter housings are you 2 using?
What filter housing is PetePony using that his clears?
Can the housing be raised up a little to clear the arm?

If the "help" black part is junk can you gut and drill a hole in the stock one and use it?
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Thank-you David, for confirming your set up and experience. Once set up, I suppose it is satisfactory, but just that. I am used to the hair trigger choke cable throw, but I hate it. I may work on a better solution eventually but I have much more important matters at hand. I was just hoping there might be something else readily available.

Dave, 1986F150six and myself are running the same air cleaner (the late style 85/86 round one, not the tear drop). Mine clears, I was just relating an experience I had with an earlier truck when I was trying to set up a workable cable bracket. I know how tight it is under there, so I know there isn't any room to extend the lever which is the way to get more throw.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
One chapter of this story that I skipped over before my Death Valley trip was my feeble attempt to get the AC working. The PO had removed the compressor, but everything was still there.

Don't throw stones, I know that just slapping it back together and adding 134A is cringe worthy, but not knowing the condition of anything I didn't have a lot to loose. The system held pressure, but as I added the refrigerant and the compressor got something to pump, the belt began to slip and the clutch started smoking. I took the belt off and have not touched it since...

The compressor is the old York style, and I don't know if it was removed because it didn't work or if the guy just didn't use it and wanted to de-clutter. But my assumption is that the compressor is bad. I don't see many of these in the junkyards, and the ones I do see look sketchy, like they have not been in use for a long time. But I did find a new style one on a truck that was a garage kept cream puff and looks basically brand new. So I bought that along with the hoses.

Now the fun begins. The cast iron hockey stick that mounts to the block was used 80-82. The 80/81's got the York, 82 had the new style, so the mounting brackets are a one-year-wonder. I have the aluminum platform piece from an 82, but looking at the diagram I'm still missing a few things 🙄. Namely the sickle shaped piece, the front to rear brace and the two ears that bolt to the compressor itself. This wasn't supposed to be this hard!

So I guess my options are to fork out $300-ish for a re manufactured York, or come up with the brackets to mount my $37 junkyard one. (Either the missing 82 parts or the entire 83-86 set up). Suggestions? I had decent luck running 134A in my diesel with the newer style compressor, so I'm leaning that direction...

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I may have an extra York, and will look in a bit. But an option you didn’t mention is to convert to serpentine and use the 1987+ brackets. See illustration P-20241 here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/300-six-compressor-illustrations.html.

1 ... 9101112131415 ... 25