classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
52 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1950 Chevy Pickup Resurection

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Bradley.  If that was closer it would be an option, although I really wanted to upgrade to a 235 since they take a 12V starter and have a fully pressurized oiling system.

Luckily I've found a 235 that was said to have been running when pulled, and it is with a guy that my nephew knows quite well in my home town.  He's going to check it out this Saturday and let me know what condition it is in and whether it has a starter and/or generator.  But at $300 and only 100 miles away I'll probably go with it.

That will put us, Ian and I, in a position to pull the 216 and install the 235 when he comes back this summer.  And we may have to rebuild the carb, probably install a new gas tank and sending unit, new radiator and heater hoses, etc.  Plus check out the radiator to ensure it doesn't leak.

Speaking of Ian, he's registered on here and has subscribed to this thread.  That makes three generations, which I think is a first!

Also, he and I took a bunch of pics yesterday and put up a new page at Documentation/Picture Galleries/Ugly Green, which is what he is calling the truck - at least for now.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
I was shocked to find out that there were splash lubed automotive engines. Funnily enough, I had just recently told one of my coworkers that there was no such thing. Should have researched that first! I just can't see how a splash lube engine can be that large, and not run the risk of catastrophic failure.
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Ifitaintbroke wrote
I just can't see how a splash lube engine can be that large, and not run the risk of catastrophic failure.
Giant ship engines were splash lubed and they run almost 24/7 for decades.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I replied to his intro post.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Makes sense, but I'm sure they also run at stupid low rpms.
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yes, it is low rpm (would have to be with a 14' stroke)
Piston speeds are about right for the metallurgy and clearances available back then.

Bill just got through building a model of the Titanic engines
He can't do much because of his back, until the 15th, when they will do a spinal injection.

He has posted pictures and information
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
I might be about to acquire a 1950ish Chevy for free. If I do, I'll put up some pics of it.
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Please do, Bradley.  They might help us.

As an update, we still don't have an engine although there are three hunts going on:

The gentleman I talked to certainly has one and it is at his friend's house in Wichita.  He was up there 10 days ago and was supposed to take pics but forgot.  But he's going again this Saturday and I'm going to remind him.  The big question is what transmission it has and if it has a starter or generator.  On the transmission, we want to stay manual but could consider an auto, but need to stay with a torque tube driveshaft so we don't have to also swap out the rear axle.

My brother knows of another engine that he's to take pics of so we can try to determine what it is. He's just not had a chance to do that.

Another engine has been found that is fresh from the machine shop.  But it has a 2-carb intake and split exhaust manifold plus several other goodies, so would cost about $3000 and take a lot of work. Not what we are looking for.

And there's a discussion going on about wheels.  My brother had exactly the same experience I did of buying later 6-lug wheels and finding that they hit the tie rod ends.  So we are aware that there's an offset spec we need to determine before we start down that road.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Can guarantee it won't help, but I won't say why. You'll find out!
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Gary, just throw in a 2.3 Lima and a 5 speed from a Ranger.
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
LS swap ALL THE THINGS!.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Jim how DARE YOU! You ought to be BANNED for that!
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.