12v source help

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

12v source help

Tyler
  I know there is a decent amount of info on this site for guys wiring up electric choke and other things.  I just can't seem to find the proper wire that is 12v in crank and run ignition positions.  All I need to do is power a relay for my Holley sniper system.  I have checked several wires that when I go to the start/crank position the voltage lowers or goes away (kind of like when your radio and blower motor go off during starting/cranking).

The info is probably in this site somewhere but I haven't found it yet.  Thanks for your patience and help.
1985 F150 4x4 SB 300 I6: Comp 268 cam, '68 240 head, Offy DP, FI manifolds, Holley Sniper 2300, DUI street/strip distributor, BW T-18, Tuff Country 4" suspension lift, Yukon Offroad hubs + front and rear Duragrip LSD 3.73 ratio, 33-12.5/15s

Gear Vendors overdrive unit on order.

Oklahoma boy livin in Washington State.  Retired submarine MMNCM (Nuclear Machinist's Mate, Master Chief)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 12v source help

swampedout
I dont know the answer to your question but Ive done a little research on fixing the electrical mess in my truck.

Have you figured out how to navigate the documentation drop down menu? For me, its in the upper left corner, you can choose between the forum and documentation. From there is an electrical menu with more pages to choose from.

Ive found a lot of info there, including the wiring diagram which should tell you which wires are hot with ignition.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
How are you testing the circuits in the start position?
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by Tyler
If you are using a relay the voltage going down wont hurt long as it still maintains voltage to fire the relay.  Im looking at doing the relay option as well that way I can splice into the coil wire as the coil wire will remain hot in key on as well as crank position and using it as a relay trigger should not have a negative effect.

The only other option you have would be to pull the cluster out to get to the ignition switch on the top of the column and find the wire that has power in key on as well as crank.  There will be one or two wires like this and you should be able to use that as a trigger.  I thought of doing this but its more work in my eyes than using a key hot wire under the hood.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Tyler
Ty - Try these pages from the 1985 EVTM:

And if you have dual tanks:
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Tyler
In reply to this post by swampedout
Thanks for the help!  I found it!  Gotta love a win....  Powered up the sniper .  Things are looking up.

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020, 2:27 PM swampedout [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I dont know the answer to your question but Ive done a little research on fixing the electrical mess in my truck.

Have you figured out how to navigate the documentation drop down menu? For me, its in the upper left corner, you can choose between the forum and documentation. From there is an electrical menu with more pages to choose from.

Ive found a lot of info there, including the wiring diagram which should tell you which wires are hot with ignition.
Sam
New Mexico
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4. MSD Ignition. GVR Overdrive. 4x4. Airbag rear suspension

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/12v-source-help-tp83846p83851.html
To unsubscribe from 12v source help, click here.
NAML
1985 F150 4x4 SB 300 I6: Comp 268 cam, '68 240 head, Offy DP, FI manifolds, Holley Sniper 2300, DUI street/strip distributor, BW T-18, Tuff Country 4" suspension lift, Yukon Offroad hubs + front and rear Duragrip LSD 3.73 ratio, 33-12.5/15s

Oklahoma boy livin in Washington State.  Retired submarine MMNCM (Nuclear Machinist's Mate, Master Chief)
Reply | Threaded
|

Tyler
In reply to this post by swampedout
swampedout wrote
How are you testing the circuits in the start position?
I had a buddy come over and manipulate the start switch while I tested the circuits.  And my starter was removed...

Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
Hey Tyler!

I’m right at this spot at the moment. Where did you grab that start/run power from?
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Current Name: Whitney