classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
43 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: !000 Questions

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - If I remember correctly I only have one "lifting eye" and it is already powder coated.  But, I can ground the alternator to the block to ensure the charging system is well grounded.  I'll do that and document it in Big Blue's Transformation thread.

As for grounds for diagnostics, those abound given all the grounds I have from fenders to cab, fenders to radiator support, batteries to fenders, and batteries to frame.   
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

howisdoug1
In reply to this post by grumpin
Thanks for the Welcome, Grumpin
Reply | Threaded
|

howisdoug1
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Well early this a.m. I was out trying some of these ideas. Neg. from battery to motor or to Alt bracket was good, I tried the jumper cable on the neg. nothing changed. The positive battery post to the relay was good. I have not followed the positive cable to the starter, that will be tomorrow morning early. It is hard for me with the bad hip to get under there,  A friend of mine is going to crawl under the truck and if he can't make it over  I will do it. Before I see it- it seems like the power ( 12 v) doesn't go any further because nothing else works, no horn, no blinkers, no lights no dome light, should I start looking at bulbs If I missed someone  on thanking for information and welcoming I'm sorry so I will a group thanks, Thanks everyone.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by howisdoug1
Doug.
I've got to ask.

When you replaced the starter relay you put ONLY the starter cable on the far side, and ALL the rest of the wires (excluding the little blue/red push-on trigger wire) to the same lug as the battery positive, correct?

Without constant power to the cab there is no power for the blue/red trigger wire attached to the (S) terminal to do it's job..
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

howisdoug1
Yes Jim the little red/blue push on went on the S terminal, the starter cable and two small wires with fusible links went on together on the M terminal and positive from the battery went on the B terminal. The strange thing is when I started it up after washing the outside of the truck, I turned on the key and it started right up plus the grinding of the starter still running so I turned the key off and the truck and starter kept running, it seemed like a long time but was only maybe 15 to 30 seconds so I tried the key again and even put it drive thinking just maybe it would stop but it kept running and I am not sure if the key was on or off the motor sounded like a truck with a clutch-when you let the clutch out and you don't give it enough gas and it stalls, that is what the motor did just like something was stealing the power. The first thing I did was feel the positive and neg cables and removed them from the battery and the positive one was warmest and was removed first and when I did it sparked when I removed it, the neg. was okay, but I removed it also and put a meter on it and read right around 5.5 or 5.6 volts. So I put a charger on it and called a few places and I didn't realize how hard it was to get the part store to answer the phone because of the corona virus so I ordered the reply from Amazon.. From that moment nothing has lit up in the truck, no power to fuse box. Is it possible that the starter shorted out and stalled the motor like that. Thank you for your time. Doug/Scooter
Doug Schouten

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 3:33 AM ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Doug.
I've got to ask.

When you replaced the starter relay you put ONLY the starter cable on the far side, and ALL the rest of the wires (excluding the little blue/red push-on trigger wire) to the same lug as the battery positive, correct?

Without constant power to the cab there is no power for the blue/red trigger wire attached to the (S) terminal to do it's job..
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with an Edelbrock 1826 and Performer intake.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/000-Questions-tp66489p66629.html
To unsubscribe from !000 Questions, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim may not be back quickly to tell you, but you've done what he thought you might have done.  The fuse links belong on the battery side of the relay, not the starter side.

Doing it your way you have no power in the cab with which to pull in the relay.  Move the fuse links over and I'll bet it works.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
There's your trouble.

The starter cable needs be by itself.
The battery cable and everything else goes to the other lug (closest to the battery)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Ha!
We're right on top of each other, Gary.

Just got a quick lunch break.  😉
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Ha!
We're right on top of each other, Gary.

Just got a quick lunch break.  😉
Great minds thinking alike!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thank you David, that was a compliment.  

Jim - I knew where you were going with the previous post, and his answer proved you were right.  But it is raining here so we are sitting on the porch enjoying it and I'm .

Reply | Threaded
|

howisdoug1
Thanks Gary that does make sense. I'm going out to try it shortly. I will be in touch. Doug 
Doug Schouten

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 9:39 AM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jim may not be back quickly to tell you, but you've done what he thought you might have done.  The fuse links belong on the battery side of the relay, not the starter side.

Doing it your way you have no power in the cab with which to pull in the relay.  Move the fuse links over and I'll bet it works.

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front & 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in back, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/000-Questions-tp66489p66691.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
But it is raining here so we are sitting on the porch enjoying it and I'm .
Tell Janey we appreciate her sharing you with us!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If we're going there, I want to thank Natalie for letting you do your thing as well!  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
If we're going there, I want to thank Natalie for letting you do your thing as well!  
Yep!

As for Janey, she said she thinks you guys are sharing me with her.  

Reply | Threaded
|

howisdoug1
I don't know what part of the country you are in but rain sounds awesome. Phoenix has a severe weather warning out for a
possible 118 degrees today. When I moved here in 1984 we had a 122 degree day, closed Sky Harbor Airport. When I left Iowa and loaded a truck with the wind and cold is was 103-106 below zero that is wind chill. You had to cover your mouth,nose,eyes because if you walked into the wind they would freeze shut within seconds. So I can handle the heat better than the cold.
Doug Schouten

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 11:53 AM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Yep!

As for Janey, she said she thinks you guys are sharing me with her.  

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front & 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in back, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/000-Questions-tp66489p66721.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm in Okiehoma, near Tulsa.  We've see 114 above and 14 below, real temp.  And I've seen 30 below "feel like" temps.  But all of those are very, very rare.

Yesterday and today we had a very welcome thunderstorm that has kept the temps in the mid 80's both days.  But it was supposed to be about 100.

Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
Doug, welcome to the crowd, I live up by Prescott Valley. You will find some smart folks here and two of them are helping you now. Just to add to what they have going, this is what a properly wired starter relay looks like, the battrey cable and all of the fuesable links on the forward, large terminal, small wire in the top terminal and the starter cable only on the rear, large terminal. 
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

howisdoug1
First and for most I would like to thank everyone on the input for my Truck and a little more to Gary and Jim. I feel kind of dumb because when I took it apart and back together, I didn't remove the old one till I had the new one, but still my mistake on wires. But the main thing here is, it is FIXED. So again thank you all, and now I only have 999 questions. Doug Schouten
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Doug, I'm really glad you found a simple and cost free solution to your relay problem.  

We're all here to help one another.

I appreciate the thanks, but the reward is in solving members problems.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm happy it is FIXED!  

And, while thanks are appreciated, we are here to help others and get help for ourselves.  We are all in this together.