Bullnose Forums

My Dana 44 Camber shim "project"

reamer

and that would be a good example of possibly finding a bent or poorly milled/installed spindle.

or crappy ear machining on knuckle, or even more likely the knuckle was not welded on perpendicular. This is a common problem with early Bronco D-44s, they "slapped" the knuckle on the tube and welded it up.

Caster numbers were (are) all over the map. Mine had zero caster on 1 side and 2 degrees on the other, With that, how can you possibly assume they were installed perpendicular either?

I've had 3 broncos, NONE had reasonable caster, I had to grind of the welds, knuckle-to-tube, and sledgehammer back the top knuckle to rotate it and achieve 4-5 degrees caster.....

check out the "Classic Bronco" website, everyone has to do this, it's common practice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or crappy ear machining on knuckle, or even more likely the knuckle was not welded on perpendicular. This is a common problem with early Bronco D-44s, they "slapped" the knuckle on the tube and welded it up.

Caster numbers were (are) all over the map. Mine had zero caster on 1 side and 2 degrees on the other, With that, how can you possibly assume they were installed perpendicular either?

I've had 3 broncos, NONE had reasonable caster, I had to grind of the welds, knuckle-to-tube, and sledgehammer back the top knuckle to rotate it and achieve 4-5 degrees caster.....

check out the "Classic Bronco" website, everyone has to do this, it's common practice.

Installed it today, Originally Left Front Camber was 0.7 degrees, Right Front was 1.2 degrees......

Now Left Front is 0.7 and new Right Front is now 0.6 only 0.1 difference between them!

That's good news! How does it drive?

Fine, but I don't think Camber effects drivability as much as Caster. Having the tire more perpendicular to the axle tube will just about eliminate the excessive wear on the outer edge of the tire.

I did notice the brake shoes were wearing oddly, (before shim), outer pad wearing on top, inner pad on bottom. The caster shim will align the pads to disk better.....

Fine, but I don't think Camber effects drivability as much as Caster. Having the tire more perpendicular to the axle tube will just about eliminate the excessive wear on the outer edge of the tire.

I did notice the brake shoes were wearing oddly, (before shim), outer pad wearing on top, inner pad on bottom. The caster shim will align the pads to disk better.....

Camber doesn't make as much difference in drivability as caster, but it does some. If you have more pressure on one edge of a tire than the other it makes the tire try to follow a ridge in the pavement.

Camber doesn't make as much difference in drivability as caster, but it does some. If you have more pressure on one edge of a tire than the other it makes the tire try to follow a ridge in the pavement.

Good to know, we'll see how the pads wear now (over time)

• 3 weeks later...

New caster number are in ... old 1.2 degrees and 0.6 degrees, now 0.7 degrees and 0.6,... Beautiful!

That's some great results Ron! :nabble_smiley_good:

I saw shims on U-Techcenter the other day that looked similar, but I have no idea what they fit.

Maybe I should go back and try to find that P/N.