Bullnose Forums

My Dana 44 Camber shim "project"

reamer

May be getting a "free" rotary table today. 3-Jaw, I'll plasma cut the inner circle, clamp using the inner circle, cut the outer, then clamp to the outer and finish the inner.

Aldo's other trick.... On my '86 Flareside with EFI 302, Running rough He diagnosed "EGR voltage out of spec" we installed a new one, still got "EGR out of spec" so we could have spent hours tracing vac leaks and other stuff, but he knew on the new EGR's the "plunger" is not as long as original FORD, so with a little metal epoxy, he built up the plunger, and no more "EGR voltage out of spec":nabble_smiley_good:

Ron - That sounds like it should work, but when do you taper it? Or, do you start with material that has a taper?

As for the EGR, the epoxy held up to that heat? :nabble_smiley_oh:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron - That sounds like it should work, but when do you taper it? Or, do you start with material that has a taper?

As for the EGR, the epoxy held up to that heat? :nabble_smiley_oh:

Never had an EGR issue after that. On Prototype I tapered first then cut the diameters.

With steel I mat cut dia's first then taper, this way there is less material to machine...

Never had an EGR issue after that. On Prototype I tapered first then cut the diameters.

With steel I mat cut dia's first then taper, this way there is less material to machine...

I guess the epoxy held. :nabble_smiley_good:

But, speaking of holding, how are you going to hold the shim to cut the taper?

• 2 weeks later...

So you plan on using a surface grinder? I would be weary of machining with a shell mill or flycutter on a mag chuck.

shim.thumb.jpg.8adc1ce999f77f7aad5c1b462fd916fa.jpg

shim1.thumb.jpg.213e899ba3d98b74d43c586abac2dc46.jpg

Started with 0.250 stock, Used my rotary table the open the ID to correct spec, then cut slots. Face mill at 1.250 degree of table tilt, and finish with 4-point flycutter.

Looks excellent! When are you going to install it? :nabble_anim_jump:

Tomorrow I may pull the '73 Bronco out of "hiding" and ensure fit on both RH and LH, with the thickest part up (for Negative camber adjustment) and then thickest part on bottom for Positive camber adjustment. Verifying slot position for all 4 positions.

I say four positions because on the '78 and up Bronco and F-150 they have five studs holding the spindle to the knuckle, 4 studs are 3" apart. the top 2 are 3.5" apart,= staggered. So top RH and top LH are not in the same position, and of course bottom RH and LH are not the same either = 4 positions.

I want to get the slots to cover all four....1 shim for what ever you need.