Bullnose Forums

Starting diagnosis help required

Yes exactly.

The older systems (Points/Condenser) used the "I" terminal on the starter solenoid as part of the start bypass circuit.

Newer systems (Duraspark/EEC) used a dedicated start bypass wire directly from the ignition switch, eliminating the starter solenoid connection.

Now some newer vehicles will use the fourth starter solenoid connection to power the electric fuel pumps for starting.

Hhhhaaa, I LOVE this feeling of linking two confusing and obscure concepts so they spark and light suddenly comes out of the big void.

Thanks Ralph!

:nabble_anim_handshake:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks again Jim, going to investigate a little more about the lack of power (yellowing lights) I had. Will check how all wires are attached to this famous relay.

Dit you jump the +/S terminals?

To be frank I went the hard way, jumping the + and - main poles with a big screwdriver. Didn't do the S jumping :nabble_smiley_whistling:.

Since I really don't trust this relay (strange starting behaviour this summer), I will change it. And open it after, to expose to sunlight its guts.:nabble_smiley_evil:

About this latter, I am a bit confused about the good model.

:nabble_anim_confused:

Mine is looking as this one (E8TZ-11450-B), the fourth pole isn't required:

I was looking for a 3 poles, thinking it was the good one (E9TZ-11450-B):

But I found at NPD that the good model for 1984 F-350 should be this one (E7HZ-11450-A):

Four poles too, and completely different shape... Any advice about the goal of this fourth pole?

:nabble_thinking-26_orig:

I searched in the Forum Documentation and did not find where to verify this solenoid/starter-relay part number. Any idea?

Job done.

I changed the starter relay for a new one. This later has the "vertical shape" supposed to be the right model for 1984 trucks.

Hoping this will finally fix my startup problems, chances are good, since I exposed the guts of the old one to the sun and see that one of the pole's contact was really carbonized, beginning melting.

Let's touch wood!

IMG_4694.jpg.57308e7594d8005cfaaebb2b546e94fe.jpg

IMG_4774.jpg.2c22dff2a1b1c7daffcf6fd4c14b4255.jpg

IMG_4770.jpg.cc76702b5b4e6ab4257b1ec8d937c0a6.jpg

Job done.

I changed the starter relay for a new one. This later has the "vertical shape" supposed to be the right model for 1984 trucks.

Hoping this will finally fix my startup problems, chances are good, since I exposed the guts of the old one to the sun and see that one of the pole's contact was really carbonized, beginning melting.

Let's touch wood!

That’s a “pit”iful looking relay! :nabble_smiley_tongue: