Bullnose Forums

Electric Heater Recommendation

Machspeed

In my old shop (~3,000sq' block building, no insulation) I heated with a 250,000 btu Reznor gas fired unit heater, but there was a lot of stratification.

I bought a couple of really cheap (~$40) hugger ceiling fans from that Orange Box.

I didn't have to run them fast. It made a big difference.

In our garage in the house in Ponca City I bought a used down-draft gas furnace and mounted it in the corner, raised on a 4x4 base open towards the center of the garage and the return was at the ceiling. Turn that thing on an hour before working out there and not only was the floor warm but so were the tools and the car.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In our garage in the house in Ponca City I bought a used down-draft gas furnace and mounted it in the corner, raised on a 4x4 base open towards the center of the garage and the return was at the ceiling. Turn that thing on an hour before working out there and not only was the floor warm but so were the tools and the car.

Got the heater all wired in today and was pleased with the output, remote control and all. It was a warm day though so I didn't keep in on very long. In fact, the few minutes it was on it got quite warm in there. Crazy Oklahoma weather, 2 degrees one week, then 60's the next....LOL!

Also did a little more organizing, installing some selves above my work bench. I have too much stuff!!!

IMG_5853.thumb.jpeg.908676e441410dc4124123c717e0f4f6.jpeg

IMG_5856.thumb.jpeg.a8687758fbbad6ee6790e49d2a8147f8.jpeg

Got the heater all wired in today and was pleased with the output, remote control and all. It was a warm day though so I didn't keep in on very long. In fact, the few minutes it was on it got quite warm in there. Crazy Oklahoma weather, 2 degrees one week, then 60's the next....LOL!

Also did a little more organizing, installing some selves above my work bench. I have too much stuff!!!

Looking good! :nabble_smiley_good:

Hopefully you can get your heat pump back online and don't have much call for it.

Might want to wipe down the car before the heater blows that dust all over Blackie. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Hi Jim! All those questions I asked of myself before pulling the trigger on a Chinese unit off Amazon. It just kills me to buy this Chinese stuff but $300 vs $1100 for something that I'll only use occasionally just doesn't get it for me. I'm going to have the shop heat pump serviced in the spring. It's been down for several years now.

Anyway, after many hours of surfing and reading reviews and such, bought a 10,000 Watt Comfort Zone unit off Amazon, along with a 4 year warranty. I'll do the hook up.

This little venture along with the fact that the compressor on one of our home units went out lead me down some paths for doing my own HVAC work. I've got my AC guy coming this week sometime to replace the compressor, been out for about three weeks and it has been cold in my bedroom, bath and part of our living room. Compressor has been on back order. When he was out, he told me to get ready because HVAC equipment is going up, WAY UP! Said he didn't know how the common American will be able to afford it. I've got three units on my house and one on my shop. The shop is out and the one on the house that went out is relatively new. That's a good thing, as the compressor is under warranty still. But, I have to pay the service, new refrigerant, etc. The remaining two units on the house were put there in 06, so it's only a matter of time. I can buy HVAC equipment, but because I am not licensed, I cannot get refrigerant and should I do any install I get no warranty. Wondering what it would take for me to get licensed??? Anybody do this???

Thanks for your thoughts, friends!

https://www.thetrainingcenter.com/epa608

For the automotive all I did was take a test many moons ago.

My dad had one for the home side, I think all he did was take a test also. But that was several years ago also.

Well done, John! That thing worked so well it got up to 70F up here today. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Your shop looks tidy, John!

I agree!

:nabble_anim_claps:

Thanks fellas! It's better and I'm able to find stuff again....LOL! I'm telling you, I spend a ton of time looking for stuff. Often to find something, I have to clean the shop, thus keeping me from working. One of my New years resolutions is to put tools back in there respective place after use!!!