Bullnose Forums

Steering Gear Bolts (right size/length & Affordable)

doesn't anyone cut bolts anymore?

The problem with the 5.5" ones I bought was that the threads were too short. If they were threaded all the way I would have cut them no problem, but in this case it was easier to add the washers. I've never tried to add threads to a grade-8 bolt, but it seemed to me like the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

I cut bolts all the time otherwise.

doesn't anyone cut bolts anymore?

The problem with the 5.5" ones I bought was that the threads were too short. If they were threaded all the way I would have cut them no problem, but in this case it was easier to add the washers. I've never tried to add threads to a grade-8 bolt, but it seemed to me like the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

I cut bolts all the time otherwise.

i guess i have just been lucky enough to have collected enough bolts along the way. i always seem to have at least one full set for a steering gear.

How many of these are needed?

Usually only 3. The OE bolt is 5 15/64 length if memory serves, and these about make that required length.

The reason I posted is because it is quite difficult to find 5.25 bolts. 5 and 5 ½ are all one can find usually.

The other option is as noted, cut the bolt, or try to thread further in, or use extra washers.