Bullnose Forums

New member, big problem

ReneH

Ok. I have replaced all injector connectors and made a complete new wiring from the injectors and the o2 sensor to the 4 pin connector near the firewall on the driver's side.

I also have made the measurements you've described...nothing short...

Yes I use the original motorcraft distributor. Changing the ignition control module to a new one also had no effect.

The check that is left are the wires directly to the ECU...I still use the stock connector on the distributor. I also have checked the spark-plug cable. All have a spark.

So my question in this case is, if the ignition works (so far I can see) is it possible That only the signal for the injectors coming from the ignition control module is wrong?

Maybe also something with these shutter wheel...it is possible that a former owner has build in a wrong distributor...maybe I should buy one for the 1986 351W engine. I already have bought the ECU from this year, cause my setup is closer to 351W than to 302...

Rene, the V8 shutters are all the same as far as I know. Here is one from a late 460:

DSCN4568a1.thumb.jpg.c6b7a8eff2bf2e60105826976ca958b4.jpg

The reason I was asking, there is a system a lot of people like (I do not) called MSD, for Multiple Spark Discharge. These fire the coil multiple times which could cause multiple pulses to the computer.

Try this as a test:

Remove the distributor cap, leave the rotor on and mark where #1 is on the distributor cap adapter

Take the coil high tension wire off it and place it near a good ground

Connect an LED from the coil - to ground with the positive side to the coil

Use two other LEDs on the injector harness plug (injectors disconnected so as not to flood things)

Crank the engine with the plugs installed so it doesn't spin too fast

Watch the LEDS for flashes.

When rotor passes #1 location, coil and injector bank #1 should flash

When rotor passes #6 location, coil and injector bank #2 should flash

This is an assumption, I do not have a bank fired system to try this on so it may not be correct, it may go coil + bank #1, coil + bank #2, then repeat, but the injector banks should alternate.

Ok. I have replaced all injector connectors and made a complete new wiring from the injectors and the o2 sensor to the 4 pin connector near the firewall on the driver's side.

I also have made the measurements you've described...nothing short...

Yes I use the original motorcraft distributor. Changing the ignition control module to a new one also had no effect.

The check that is left are the wires directly to the ECU...I still use the stock connector on the distributor. I also have checked the spark-plug cable. All have a spark.

So my question in this case is, if the ignition works (so far I can see) is it possible That only the signal for the injectors coming from the ignition control module is wrong?

Maybe also something with these shutter wheel...it is possible that a former owner has build in a wrong distributor...maybe I should buy one for the 1986 351W engine. I already have bought the ECU from this year, cause my setup is closer to 351W than to 302...

do not buy a distributor for a 351w! it is taller and will not physically fit. it uses a larger oil pump drive shaft and will not physically fit. stay with the 302 distributor. the information that it provides to the ecu is the same. on another point though the 351w of the same year was carbureted not efi.

do not buy a distributor for a 351w! it is taller and will not physically fit. it uses a larger oil pump drive shaft and will not physically fit. stay with the 302 distributor. the information that it provides to the ecu is the same. on another point though the 351w of the same year was carbureted not efi.

Ok, thanks. First of all here are some images of my setup

20221222_191611.jpg.a64c609d67869d8912122485d28fabd3.jpg

20221222_191619.jpg.790a6ba83adcbf61f5db20cd570bbddc.jpg

20221222_191637.jpg.196eb340ed40a16d33fda4c4425f4de6.jpg

20221222_191649.jpg.032adb66df59d617910ab28a566fbe41.jpg

20221222_191740.jpg.dcdcf2bf4961ada5c369d5450ac6ec13.jpg

20221222_191831.jpg.7550b0790158038e276f3a7a6406af0e.jpg

20221222_191751.jpg.b473f7056046765118c2dac65bf77566.jpg

Ok, thanks. First of all here are some images of my setup

I am no expert on TFI systems in general but I want to say that the Motorcraft module in your hand appears black while the one on the distributor is grey.

The black modules were not used until the 1994 year and are referred to as 'computer controlled dwell'

These won't work with the earlier 'push start' system, where the grey module itself controls dwell for the ignition coil.

The black module triggers both on the up and the downslope of the signal.

Ford and most of the aftermarket get this wrong in their documentation.

.... he replaced the ECU today with one for a 351W since that's closer to what he has in an engine now. But it didn't really change anything from the 302 ECU - both of them have it running really rich.

It's interesting you say this, and I wonder what cam Rene has in his 347 engine.

Is it a 302 firing order (15426378) or HO/351 cam (13726548)?

Could it be as simple as changing the plug wires around???

I am no expert on TFI systems in general but I want to say that the Motorcraft module in your hand appears black while the one on the distributor is grey.

The black modules were not used until the 1994 year and are referred to as 'computer controlled dwell'

These won't work with the earlier 'push start' system, where the grey module itself controls dwell for the ignition coil.

The black module triggers both on the up and the downslope of the signal.

Ford and most of the aftermarket get this wrong in their documentation.

No, the motorcraft in my hand was the original. Same color as the distributor.

.... he replaced the ECU today with one for a 351W since that's closer to what he has in an engine now. But it didn't really change anything from the 302 ECU - both of them have it running really rich.

It's interesting you say this, and I wonder what cam Rene has in his 347 engine.

Is it a 302 firing order (15426378) or HO/351 cam (13726548)?

Could it be as simple as changing the plug wires around???

I have a 351w cam inside. But no rollers.

Car runs...plugs are correctly wired.

I have already done a 20mins cam break in...so it runs...not good, but it runs...:nabble_smiley_wink:

Question still comes on the TFI module, is it the correct one? Pictures of the 4 different styles and which pin is which:

Hmm...it's definitely Grey and hast those pins for the hall...so I would say it's the 86-93 version...