Bullnose Forums

302 / 351 Motor Mount Perches

Hopefully the pictures don't confuse anybody. Small block 4x2 engine crossmember with 460 perches, and leaf sprung axle. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

What do you intend to do about the 460 oil filter/adapter, Shaun?

Dent the cross member or run a low profile remote filter adapter?

I think Gary has some fairly decent pictures of my truck's cross member from 03/08 when I pressure washed the frame before dropping in the re-man engine.

What do you intend to do about the 460 oil filter/adapter, Shaun?

Dent the cross member or run a low profile remote filter adapter?

I think Gary has some fairly decent pictures of my truck's cross member from 03/08 when I pressure washed the frame before dropping in the re-man engine.

Interesting to see the two cross members are by side.

Jims_Crossmember_1.jpg.ef42e1fe9b2db9348c6ea47a5400b9d9.jpg

DSCN2584.jpg.fa33e71684b9b59c6a711a5ba0612fcb.jpg

Interesting to see the two cross members are by side.

Ok guys, I've added the pics to the page at Documentation/Exterior/Frames/Engine Perches. Please take a look and see if changes need to be made.

Shaun - I'm tagging you for two reasons. First, I am assuming that you are going to be running a remote oil filter. Right? Second, because I didn't use all of your pics since I thought the one that matches Jim's told the story. But do we need the others?

Ok guys, I've added the pics to the page at Documentation/Exterior/Frames/Engine Perches. Please take a look and see if changes need to be made.

Shaun - I'm tagging you for two reasons. First, I am assuming that you are going to be running a remote oil filter. Right? Second, because I didn't use all of your pics since I thought the one that matches Jim's told the story. But do we need the others?

I think what's been posted is perfectly fine. I prefer Jim's photo since it actually depicts the correct crossmember, but mine can stay because only the sticklers would notice, and it helps show that the 460 perches will bolt right up to a small block crossmember.

Jim/Gary, I still have the Florida Man frame with a 460 crossmember. I've thought about switching them out, but that's ALOT of work and a remote oil filter is much easier.

I think what's been posted is perfectly fine. I prefer Jim's photo since it actually depicts the correct crossmember, but mine can stay because only the sticklers would notice, and it helps show that the 460 perches will bolt right up to a small block crossmember.

Jim/Gary, I still have the Florida Man frame with a 460 crossmember. I've thought about switching them out, but that's ALOT of work and a remote oil filter is much easier.

I think it is good to have your pic on there as it does show the difference in crossmembers as well as the perches bolting up.

And I agree that a remote oil filler is easier. But I'll also say that w/a 460 there aren't lots of places to put the oil filter. :nabble_smiley_oh:

I think it is good to have your pic on there as it does show the difference in crossmembers as well as the perches bolting up.

And I agree that a remote oil filler is easier. But I'll also say that w/a 460 there aren't lots of places to put the oil filter. :nabble_smiley_oh:

That's the part that worries me.

Now is the time to make the decision, especially since Sky has now started offering the 4x2 frame box kit for the 80-91 trucks with the RSK kit. I inquired about purchasing the frame box brackets alone, and it seems like they're willing so I'll probably end up pulling my RSK back apart for those, so it would be the perfect time to swap the crossmembers.

That's the part that worries me.

Now is the time to make the decision, especially since Sky has now started offering the 4x2 frame box kit for the 80-91 trucks with the RSK kit. I inquired about purchasing the frame box brackets alone, and it seems like they're willing so I'll probably end up pulling my RSK back apart for those, so it would be the perfect time to swap the crossmembers.

How 'bout swapping the frames? I looked at swapping the crossmembers and it was going to be a LOT of work.

How 'bout swapping the frames? I looked at swapping the crossmembers and it was going to be a LOT of work.

I've already done that twice now. I'd rather not since I landed on another rust-free frame. The last one was too, but the current frame is numbers matching to my cab. And that's also why I don't want to switch it.

I'm pretty against swapping the crossmembers because I'd essentially have to spread the frame to replace them, and I would rather not do anything that would risk it's integrity.

Notching may be an option, but it's challenging due to how large the opening is for small block oil filters.

Even if I wanted to attempt to graft the two crossmembers together, that's a ton of welding and definitely past my comfort level. Again, don't want to risk the integrity.

I've already done that twice now. I'd rather not since I landed on another rust-free frame. The last one was too, but the current frame is numbers matching to my cab. And that's also why I don't want to switch it.

I'm pretty against swapping the crossmembers because I'd essentially have to spread the frame to replace them, and I would rather not do anything that would risk it's integrity.

Notching may be an option, but it's challenging due to how large the opening is for small block oil filters.

Even if I wanted to attempt to graft the two crossmembers together, that's a ton of welding and definitely past my comfort level. Again, don't want to risk the integrity.

I think you're making the wise decision Shaun. 💡

Since I don't expect your truck will be nearly as crowded under hood as Big Blue, there should be ample space for a filter.

Who's relocation kit would you use? Would you try to keep the stock filter? (I can't seem to find them at Walmart anymore)

I think you're making the wise decision Shaun. 💡

Since I don't expect your truck will be nearly as crowded under hood as Big Blue, there should be ample space for a filter.

Who's relocation kit would you use? Would you try to keep the stock filter? (I can't seem to find them at Walmart anymore)

I agree. With all you've said I think the best route is the remote filter.