Bullnose Forums

New to Bullnose Family....could use all of your help.

Welcome to the forum! :nabble_waving_orig:

As Cory mentioned, the torn frame would be my first concern.... 😳

If you're from Florida perhaps you ought to look into getting the proper radiator and shroud for a 460.

At the very least that would make the fan more than an ornament and put the upper radiator hose in the header tank so you could get rid of the mess of random bends and hose sections.

You don't have AIR pumps so theoretically you could use the upper hose from an EFI 460 ('88 & up)

Do you know what motor mounts were used?

How is the oil filter fit past the engine cross member?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum! http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/waving_orig.gif

As Cory mentioned, the torn frame would be my first concern.... 😳

If you're from Florida perhaps you ought to look into getting the proper radiator and shroud for a 460.

At the very least that would make the fan more than an ornament and put the upper radiator hose in the header tank so you could get rid of the mess of random bends and hose sections.

You don't have AIR pumps so theoretically you could use the upper hose from an EFI 460 ('88 & up)

Do you know what motor mounts were used?

How is the oil filter fit past the engine cross member?

It actually is above the crossmember. Its just above a hole, which I assume is where the headers are supposed to come out? I also just noticed that's been cut as well.....oy....For some reason, the PO felt he had to shorten the driveshaft so engine seems to sit at somewhat of an upward angle. Not sure what the motor mounts are...PXL_20221216_140148149.thumb.jpg.785c4edbb228298fc3a094d70dae9637.jpgPXL_20221216_140222947.thumb.jpg.127dd3b9bde3aaccb6e068dd2ed93b8d.jpg

It actually is above the crossmember. Its just above a hole, which I assume is where the headers are supposed to come out? I also just noticed that's been cut as well.....oy....For some reason, the PO felt he had to shorten the driveshaft so engine seems to sit at somewhat of an upward angle. Not sure what the motor mounts are...

I asked because with the frame change for 1980 460's in trucks disappeared and came back in 1983 with a rear sump pan, extended pickup tube, and a dipstick in that oil pan rather than the front timing cover.

The oil filter boss on the engine got angled forward with an adapter and a dented cross member was used on 460 & diesel trucks starting in 1983 to clear the filter.

L&L make some 460 swap engine mounts but I've never seen them high enough to get a filter on there.

I think that's why most people use a remote filter adapter.

It actually is above the crossmember. Its just above a hole, which I assume is where the headers are supposed to come out? I also just noticed that's been cut as well.....oy....For some reason, the PO felt he had to shorten the driveshaft so engine seems to sit at somewhat of an upward angle. Not sure what the motor mounts are...

wow the pics do help tell a story. the filter is almost over the factory access for the filter yet a bit too far forward so yes, they cut there too. be careful of sharp edges. on the passenger side motor mount, it looks as though they mounted it by way of a cross bolt drilled into the mount/frame perch. similar to an old chevy. i know some of the old car transmissions were a bit long. even the Econoline trans were longer than their f series counterparts by way of a longer tail shaft in some cases. there seems to be something else slipped through the oil filter access. it does look to be more of a collection of "parts available" more than a custom build. but it can all be fixed. take good pics and ask good questions. no harm in not knowing something. you are interested so I'm sure you can if you proceed with a plan

wow the pics do help tell a story. the filter is almost over the factory access for the filter yet a bit too far forward so yes, they cut there too. be careful of sharp edges. on the passenger side motor mount, it looks as though they mounted it by way of a cross bolt drilled into the mount/frame perch. similar to an old chevy. i know some of the old car transmissions were a bit long. even the Econoline trans were longer than their f series counterparts by way of a longer tail shaft in some cases. there seems to be something else slipped through the oil filter access. it does look to be more of a collection of "parts available" more than a custom build. but it can all be fixed. take good pics and ask good questions. no harm in not knowing something. you are interested so I'm sure you can if you proceed with a plan

Makes sense. Even still there is such a large gap between the front end of the truck and engine itself. I guess to make the headers work, the trans and the engine mounts, setting it back was the easiest thing to do...

Makes sense. Even still there is such a large gap between the front end of the truck and engine itself. I guess to make the headers work, the trans and the engine mounts, setting it back was the easiest thing to do...

I looked at that type of block hugger header and realized they couldn't fit.

'80-'87 Truck specific headers are available.

Gary had some on Big Blue before he adapted fuel injection.

He bought that truck out of Florida and found similar butchery to motor mounts and cross member.

I think I'd work on getting the frame/cross member reinforced and the wiring reliable.

Cory makes a good point about closing the firewall, even if it's temporary.

there really is no way of knowing why any of the steps were taken. but if you have 2-3 inches between the valve covers and the firewall then that is about normal for most engines. something the size of a 460 may be a little tighter. remember that this engine bay is sized to hold the 4.9 6 cyl. it is very long. having even a 429 have a gap from the radiator is to be expected. longer fan shrouds were used on the v8s. and you need one. not just to keep hands out of the fan but it assures that the fan pulls air through the radiator and not around it.

if the drive had to be shortened then there was no reason not to have put the assembly back as far as possible. if you can reach bolts for service its enough room (we never have enough room for our hands either way) and if I'm building a hot rod i usually tuck the sprung weight as far back and down as possible.

there really is no way of knowing why any of the steps were taken. but if you have 2-3 inches between the valve covers and the firewall then that is about normal for most engines. something the size of a 460 may be a little tighter. remember that this engine bay is sized to hold the 4.9 6 cyl. it is very long.

Didn't think about what was in it prior to the 460...such a good point.

I appreciate all of this info I'm getting! If its okay, I will probably start a thread in the projects section as suggested and go into more detail of the overall project.

there really is no way of knowing why any of the steps were taken. but if you have 2-3 inches between the valve covers and the firewall then that is about normal for most engines. something the size of a 460 may be a little tighter. remember that this engine bay is sized to hold the 4.9 6 cyl. it is very long.

Didn't think about what was in it prior to the 460...such a good point.

I appreciate all of this info I'm getting! If its okay, I will probably start a thread in the projects section as suggested and go into more detail of the overall project.

That's definitely the way to go, when you're dealing with a mystery truck. :nabble_smiley_good: