Bullnose Forums

New to Bullnose Family....could use all of your help.

Hello all! I am new to the Bullnose Family and I am glad to be here. This is my second f150, the first being a 93 which I loved. But the 7th gen has always been the one I wanted and looked for. The 81 I own now I plan on it being my forever truck and for what I got (only have had it under a month) I am happy. The previous owner put a lot of work into it but it definitely needs a lot of loving. That being said....the below story is quite long but I'm hoping you all can help me bring my dream to life....

So as I said before, the previous owner worked on it for a year and half...I still reach out to him from time to time and he has been helpful. He didn't want to get rid of the truck but needed a bit more space. I jumped on it after it being for sale for like a day lol....when I chose to buy a bullnose, I went into it expecting to be doing a lot of work because, as I mentioned, I wanted the truck to be around for a long time. I don't quite feel like I'm in over my head with what needs to be done, I just don't want to make anything any worse... I no seasoned mechanic but I feel confident I can handle a great deal as long as I don't rush...I also included pictures

The PO swapped the engine and trans from a 76 Continental so I was pretty happy to find out there was a 460 and a c6 in it and to learn the potential it had. Unfortunately the frame has been cut into which is a common thing when using the sedan headers and not truck ones. I also know that the drive shaft has been shortened which puts the engine and trans further back than I would like... Computer was removed and from what I have kinda figured it now has a Duraspark II (blue grommet) system in it. It is carbureted (Holley 4160) with a mechanical fuel pump in it. I love that its pretty much all mechanical which makes it easy to troubleshoot but it just seems to take a bit more finesse to tune. Bit of a learning curve for me since its my first truck with a carb. Both tanks had been taken out, as has the ENTIRE AC system...power steering has been altered I think and the wire harness system has been sort of piece mealed together....

So far, the only work I have done, is replace the in bed tank with a rear undermount and replaced the patchwork fuel line with braided nylon. Trans line leaks so that's probably next.

Yes, I know, there's a LOT of work to be done. I'm hoping to keep it pretty mechanical and just updating a lot of the patchwork that was done on her. I could definitely use any and all advice from you pros over time to bring her back to her prime and maybe even better. Any input is greatly appreciated...looking forward to learning all I can. Any questions welcomed

PXL_20221208_120932898.jpg.5b535f2d35a91d49e5ae3e253d03537f.jpg

PXL_20221208_120937239.jpg.d1a0c1ce68497c7776c4599e49d3afa8.jpg

PXL_20221208_120939355.jpg.bb8826c21662c08616e0a02c9be7a948.jpg

PXL_20221214_151323821.jpg.5e1306dceaebee33ef328c5fefc3855d.jpg

PXL_20221214_151325766.jpg.c006ae7f4eb5a3b61604573d89a65716.jpg

PXL_20221214_151327409.jpg.9e8b79ba28c3c413ec4fc904329d653d.jpg

PXL_20221214_151335170.jpg.b2b0761cfd9f9fc59b8d958cbc7c6628.jpg

PXL_20221214_151337430.jpg.69f493a5f5c6eb297ffc3f9c4253a891.jpg

PXL_20221214_151405748.jpg.abcf443f385c262168e160da6b41194e.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

That sounds like quite a project, but it should be great when done. And we love to help.

Where’s home? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member’s Map in the menu) and we can add you with a zip or city/state.

You might want to start a thread on your truck in the main section or Projects. We’ll follow along.

Welcome aboard!

Looks like you got yourself a nice project there.

First things that jump out at me are:

The frame looks like it's cracked where it was cut? I'd get that fixed up somehow before it gets worse.

With the heater box removed and blanked off like it is, I think I'd get that one opening ducted to outside air somehow if possible. I wouldn't want those engine bay fumes getting in the cab.

You'll find lots of Bullnose help on here.

Welcome! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

That sounds like quite a project, but it should be great when done. And we love to help.

Where’s home? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member’s Map in the menu) and we can add you with a zip or city/state.

You might want to start a thread on your truck in the main section or Projects. We’ll follow along.

Saint Pete Florida

Welcome aboard!

Looks like you got yourself a nice project there.

First things that jump out at me are:

The frame looks like it's cracked where it was cut? I'd get that fixed up somehow before it gets worse.

With the heater box removed and blanked off like it is, I think I'd get that one opening ducted to outside air somehow if possible. I wouldn't want those engine bay fumes getting in the cab.

You'll find lots of Bullnose help on here.

Yea I read that that was a common issue with putting an engine from a car in the truck and the cracked frame happens. That will definitely be the next job I tackle

Yea I read that that was a common issue with putting an engine from a car in the truck and the cracked frame happens. That will definitely be the next job I tackle

i like so much of this. especially the fact that it is an oddball combination. however, you said daily driver so that tells me that you need reliability. you said family so the means safety and even though you said very southern usa you will likely need a little heat sometimes.

i would suggest starting with correcting the frame. these are frames that survive by being able to flex as opposed to staying perfectly ridgid and letting all bumps be absorbed by the springs. watch an old truck commercial and see how they twist and turn going over rocks etc. this "will" eventually tear from a cut like this (and it is already starting). change the headers if you must, to correct this and look closely for other misfits too.

having the ac removed this way not only eliminated the ac but the heat system effectively as it houses the heater/ ac blower motor, wheel, one of the vacuum motors used to change between inside and outside air.

i like so much of this. especially the fact that it is an oddball combination. however, you said daily driver so that tells me that you need reliability. you said family so the means safety and even though you said very southern usa you will likely need a little heat sometimes.

i would suggest starting with correcting the frame. these are frames that survive by being able to flex as opposed to staying perfectly ridgid and letting all bumps be absorbed by the springs. watch an old truck commercial and see how they twist and turn going over rocks etc. this "will" eventually tear from a cut like this (and it is already starting). change the headers if you must, to correct this and look closely for other misfits too.

having the ac removed this way not only eliminated the ac but the heat system effectively as it houses the heater/ ac blower motor, wheel, one of the vacuum motors used to change between inside and outside air.