Bullnose Forums

1980 F150 Shortbox 4x4

gtanns

Hey guys,

Been working on my truck since 2012. Cleaned up in a buddy's barn at his shop, first drive 4000 km across the country, loaded to the gills with a cat.. been rolling ever since

1980 Ford f150 351M short box 4x4

Truck.png.358c938a6ac8161eef8df58a361edec2.png

Had an eaton true trac diff 3.50 ratios & rear disc brakes installed about 3000 km ago. and just bought some of those oem looking round chrome wheels and grille and bezels.

My goals are to have a reliably good lookin, soundin, capable 4x4 that can turn heads gurgling down main st on the way into the bush and mountains.

Always followed the forums on ford trucks, and now here. :nabble_anim_working:

Of course any recommendations, commentary, thoughts... I’d love to hear these and figure out things I didn't know before:nabble_smiley_happy:

Project Gastank:

-- Truck has single side gas tank 60L. The truck "new" southern truck box on there now w/ minimal surface rust, and the box has the opening for a second gas tank.

-- i have a 2nd interior module piece from a donor truck that includes the switch to change tanks on the fly Donor_Module.png.5f5f594d55b5c715a8a2e52ab0656793.png

-- i'd like to get an additional gastank installed in the rear Fuel_Tank_Parts_LMC.png.2c0e8714014df7cb610e2cce774d9d3c.pngwith the donor dash module and get the electronics and both sending units working properly.

-- hoping to get this work done as soon as convenient

Project Exhaust:

-- I currently have a passenger side dump exhaust that is pretty much completely rusted out and muffler is damaged Headers__Exhaust.png.604078b59cc426f7d90917478dac2a35.png

Transfer_Case_to_Front.png.e1c4f06a68cc732b802353fb1e5e0574.png

-- I'd like to get a custom exhaust fitted that does a single pipe side dump on both the driver and passenger side. Don’t want to wake up the neighbours every time, but something that sounds good and efficient off the blockTransfer_case_to_Back.png.0ce3c53d1fb84f72130b13e7fb98448a.png

- I believe with a little welding, there is enough space to go straight back off the driver side headers past the transfer case …maybe a half circle piece welded into the bracket under the transfer case? Not entirely sure, and would like to figure out the best way…being able to eventually drop in a custom 351 clevor

-- hoping to get this work done as soon as convenient

Project Headliner:

-- I did all the interior myself Interior.png.084d683de062a8d277f546659c1153d0.pngand matched the vinyl on the seats, doors panels, and original headliner Broken_Headliner.jpg.858a108ba2509b643c75b7cb62622aa6.jpg … well I unfortunately left the completed vinyl headliner in the sun and it broke in half just before I was going to install it. There is a ‘regular’ foam one in there now. The roof of the cab is the same contour as the original headliner, and I’d like to keep that contour in the truck, and match the vinyl, but haven’t been able to find a donor headliner with the same contour (1980).

- I would like to match as close as possible the vinyl I’ve used (some kind of extreme cold snowmobile vinyl… still trying to remember/find the brand.)

- There is dynamat on the roof of the cab. I’m open to fastening vinyl directly onto the dynamat/ cabroof if that’s the best way to do it.

— hoping to get this work done a soon as convenient

Project Bodywork / Paint:

— There are a few bumps and dings and panel straightening, but mostly surface rust - except for the cab corners on there which are rusted through. I do already have two cab corners that can be used to weld on.

— Got new weatherstripping for the doors, so I can strip off the interior pieces etc before bringing it in. Windshield and rear sliding glass are good.

— Paint: either thinking a gloss black with red speck; or….two tone like the paint scheme picture attached Paint_Scheme.png.a797eada3de2ade5dfbd14f7f00c913b.pngexcept the two tone being black on a lighter shade of black Screen_Shot_2018-08-23_at_18.png.cbae7dcf3d742c4e57e6fbb844d77488.pngthoughts? …. Both probably with heavy clear coat to protect from snowboards tossin around stuff in the back etc.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings from the Maritimes (NS). I take it you're in BC, and the 4000 km drive was from Ontario?

Nice truck. I'd like to have a short box 4x4 Bullnose myself.

On the exhaust: I had full 2.25" duals installed on my 1984 Bullnose just at the beginning of this summer. Went with a single side exit on each side, behind the rear wheels. Pretty much stock location, but one on each side. I got them to keep the tail pipes short and tight to the body, so it looks clean in my opinion. Went with stainless Magnaflows, mounted vertically side by side, with an "H" pipe just before the mufflers. I really like the sound of it. It has a nice deep rumble to it, but isn't obnoxious.

Greetings from the Maritimes (NS). I take it you're in BC, and the 4000 km drive was from Ontario?

Nice truck. I'd like to have a short box 4x4 Bullnose myself.

On the exhaust: I had full 2.25" duals installed on my 1984 Bullnose just at the beginning of this summer. Went with a single side exit on each side, behind the rear wheels. Pretty much stock location, but one on each side. I got them to keep the tail pipes short and tight to the body, so it looks clean in my opinion. Went with stainless Magnaflows, mounted vertically side by side, with an "H" pipe just before the mufflers. I really like the sound of it. It has a nice deep rumble to it, but isn't obnoxious.

gtanns, welcome to the forum! You might want to go to the thread for new comers and introduce yourself to everyone! :nabble_anim_handshake:

You have been busy on your truck. Thanks for the photos!

Got my new wheels on there today, 15x8 chrome ones, original looking.

Picked up the chrome centre caps for the back and the front. The front ones aren't snug around the hubs, but they'll do. I do like these wheels, and they were like $120/ea on LMC, which seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Truck.png.93976ca90df6099ce86ca2ab96a75081.png

Rear wheels:

Rear.png.5197252cffe79a5b0fe6a1ecdea19514.png

Front Wheels:

Front.png.01fd85c14cb5b184f186ca6c351b8d85.png

Got my new wheels on there today, 15x8 chrome ones, original looking.

Picked up the chrome centre caps for the back and the front. The front ones aren't snug around the hubs, but they'll do. I do like these wheels, and they were like $120/ea on LMC, which seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Rear wheels:

Front Wheels:

The wheels do look good! :nabble_smiley_good: You might want to wax them well for preservation sake.

The wheels do look good! :nabble_smiley_good: You might want to wax them well for preservation sake.

I agree, they do look good!. I'm currently running black 15x8 Cragar Soft-8's, but I plan to switch back to chromies once I get the truck painted and pretty looking.

• 1 month later...

You do the gas tank yet? Really love the red interior and wheels.

Thanks!

No I haven't. I was away for a month, but back now and driving across the border to Bellingham to consult with a custom fab shop to do some of the work, hopefully this week! But I think realistic completion of it will probably be like January maybe ?

Also, instead of paint I've been looking at some vinyl wrap instead. It seems quite advanced these days -- and you can get gloss and speckle looking wraps. It's very durable and less $ than a good paint job - which is a big seller for me as I don't want to drop thousands in paint and have it get scratched in the bush somewhere.

• 1 month later...

Thanks!

No I haven't. I was away for a month, but back now and driving across the border to Bellingham to consult with a custom fab shop to do some of the work, hopefully this week! But I think realistic completion of it will probably be like January maybe ?

Also, instead of paint I've been looking at some vinyl wrap instead. It seems quite advanced these days -- and you can get gloss and speckle looking wraps. It's very durable and less $ than a good paint job - which is a big seller for me as I don't want to drop thousands in paint and have it get scratched in the bush somewhere.

Sorry I am a little late to this.

On the duel tanks there are 2 main truck wiring harness.

One is made for duel tanks & the other is not.

You will not find the plug to plug into the tank switch on that panel in your truck.

Also know the rear harness that plugs into the main harness under the master/booster is also different as it should have the 2nd tank sender plug and the tank switch valve (that bolts to the frame) wires.

Can you do with out them 2 harnesses? I am sure you can you will just have to make a harness to run along side what you have in the truck now now is all.

I know all this as I converted my 81 flare side to duel tanks but I had a 81 parts truck I took it all from so it was plug-n-play. Don't know if mine works yet as I am still re-building my truck.

Dave ----