Bullnose Forums

Dog Dish identification request

I can help with your request.

The Hubcap you are wanting is indeed type 5.

The part number for the 4WD version is E4TZ-1130-A 12 5/16 Bright Finish Aluminum Black Ring

Fits 1984/89+ F-250's with a 3800 front axle capacity. 3 1/4" diameter hole.

Will not Fit F-250 with 4600 capacity, or F-350

4WD Version of Type 5 first introduced according to the parts book 1984. Do not know if backwards compatible for older years, but should be if the 3 1/4 diameter hole would work.

No parts suppliers have any NOS.

One just sold on EBAY, nice picture included.

Your depth of knowledge proves invaluable once again, Ralph.

And you've been a member for under an hour! 🤣

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ralph, thanks a lot for the info. It confirms that model 5 seems to be same as model 3: They do not fit a 4" front axle diameter.

Last June, Jonathan posted this pic while we were discussing about front axle identification. Helped me to see the difference, Big Brother's 4" axle is definitely a Dana 50:

EF57E9EA-C187-4E52-9D7B-2F2BFD023181.jpeg.79389d54707fbbc18e63ef34c43ddc9e.jpeg

Couple of months ago, I bought a metal hole saw the good size in order to modify the front type 3 dog dishes I have on hands. Didn't find the time to proceed, they're still packed in a box.

So, I could consider to modify a pair of type 5 as well, since I have the tool. Will think about it.

But I still find curious that I never found any Ford front dog dish hub cap that has the spec to fit a 4" front axle. Is there any?

:nabble_anim_crazy:

If not, modifying any Ford front hub caps to equip Big Bro would be an unnatural add on ...

:nabble_anim_confused:

In the 1984 sales brochure, the type 3 and 5 are shown on 2x4 trucks only. There's a 4x4 shown with type 6 hub caps, looks like a 3 1/2" axle. All other 4x4 trucks are shown without any hub caps.

991AE162-2903-4BE7-ADA1-D26A99FA0014.jpeg.94f7a0376aa3e9a1e17bc1dddb715599.jpeg

268CFD92-D535-4A14-8F4D-06BD1C3636E7.jpeg.6c6311d0a0e2c5527f44c7559f7e1f79.jpeg

5FD263D0-FEFD-43C3-9B16-5E36EDE26681.jpeg.edced33ea5d283a474074c6430f45b63.jpeg

300197E0-7D2D-4642-B4C0-5A6C5A3601FB.jpeg.10ddce598aa5f0e8d421e5285fd4dfad.jpeg

I begin to suspect that there were no front hub caps fitting the 4" front axle...

Ralph, thanks a lot for the info. It confirms that model 5 seems to be same as model 3: They do not fit a 4" front axle diameter.

Last June, Jonathan posted this pic while we were discussing about front axle identification. Helped me to see the difference, Big Brother's 4" axle is definitely a Dana 50:

Couple of months ago, I bought a metal hole saw the good size in order to modify the front type 3 dog dishes I have on hands. Didn't find the time to proceed, they're still packed in a box.

So, I could consider to modify a pair of type 5 as well, since I have the tool. Will think about it.

But I still find curious that I never found any Ford front dog dish hub cap that has the spec to fit a 4" front axle. Is there any?

:nabble_anim_crazy:

If not, modifying any Ford front hub caps to equip Big Bro would be an unnatural add on ...

:nabble_anim_confused:

In the 1984 sales brochure, the type 3 and 5 are shown on 2x4 trucks only. There's a 4x4 shown with type 6 hub caps, looks like a 3 1/2" axle. All other 4x4 trucks are shown without any hub caps.

I begin to suspect that there were no front hub caps fitting the 4" front axle...

According to The Parts Book, that is unfortunately right. No caps for the 4" F-250/350. The MPC clearly states Front and rear wheels-not available.

According to The Parts Book, that is unfortunately right. No caps for the 4" F-250/350. The MPC clearly states Front and rear wheels-not available.

Sadly, Ralph confirms what Gary highly suspected a year ago (https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/4x4-front-axle-diameter-vs-hub-caps-tp108637p108639.html).

I am trying to keep Big Bro as close to original specs as possible, although it is not perfect (its 351W 2V was changed in 2015 for a 351W 4V, it's new rear bumper doesn't have the OEM design, plus some minor not noticeable differences here and there).

Although I like the dog dish look, this add on is a noticeable one, not respectful about the original specs.

You understand that I am tortured about this decision.

I probably bought a metal hole saw for nothing. My goal was to make my own front dog dishes because I wasn't able to find some for sale. Well, it's confirmed, we can't find any because they never existed.

:nabble_smiley_sad:

On a positive side, Dave would be happy about this decision, no type 3, no type 5, no caps at all (https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/4x4-front-axle-diameter-vs-hub-caps-tp108637p108668.html).

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Sadly, Ralph confirms what Gary highly suspected a year ago (https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/4x4-front-axle-diameter-vs-hub-caps-tp108637p108639.html).

I am trying to keep Big Bro as close to original specs as possible, although it is not perfect (its 351W 2V was changed in 2015 for a 351W 4V, it's new rear bumper doesn't have the OEM design, plus some minor not noticeable differences here and there).

Although I like the dog dish look, this add on is a noticeable one, not respectful about the original specs.

You understand that I am tortured about this decision.

I probably bought a metal hole saw for nothing. My goal was to make my own front dog dishes because I wasn't able to find some for sale. Well, it's confirmed, we can't find any because they never existed.

:nabble_smiley_sad:

On a positive side, Dave would be happy about this decision, no type 3, no type 5, no caps at all (https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/4x4-front-axle-diameter-vs-hub-caps-tp108637p108668.html).

So, you were willing to cut a bigger hole in your type3 hubcaps but because the 4WD version type 5 (E4TZ-1130-A) was only available with the small hole you're abandoning the whole idea as being unauthentic? :nabble_anim_confused:

I really wish I had looked closer at the 350 I saw with the type 3's

I remember it being a diesel, and I remember being surprised by how good they looked on that truck.

But I guess that person did the same and cut the center bigger to fit the D60 lockouts.

So, you were willing to cut a bigger hole in your type3 hubcaps but because the 4WD version type 5 (E4TZ-1130-A) was only available with the small hole you're abandoning the whole idea as being unauthentic? :nabble_anim_confused:

Jim, in fact I was willing to cut bigger hole in my type 3 before I realized (with your help) that type 5 were also "1984 authentic". And I prefer their look.

I was simply thinking these 4" punched caps were so rare on the market, impossible to find.

But this thread also made me realized that, type 3 and 5 were never available for 4" diameter front axle. These trucks were offered without any hub caps.

Did not made my final decision, but I can hardly imagine myself looking at Big Bro's wheels comfortably, it'll have a taste of fraud... I have this kind of feeling each time I look at its brand new shiny rear bumper.

I know, it's a bit crazy!

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Jim, in fact I was willing to cut bigger hole in my type 3 before I realized (with your help) that type 5 were also "1984 authentic". And I prefer their look.

I was simply thinking these 4" punched caps were so rare on the market, impossible to find.

But this thread also made me realized that, type 3 and 5 were never available for 4" diameter front axle. These trucks were offered without any hub caps.

Did not made my final decision, but I can hardly imagine myself looking at Big Bro's wheels comfortably, it'll have a taste of fraud... I have this kind of feeling each time I look at its brand new shiny rear bumper.

I know, it's a bit crazy!

My type 3's weren't offered in 4" deep until 1985 according to the E5 prefix on them (evidently because that's when Ford adopted the longer hub Sterling 10.25" axle)

So I don't quite understand why you would have a problem with the type 5 E4TZ 1130-A 3 1/4" hole opened up to fit, as they were available for '84.

But I get it, if you want your truck to mimic the '84 brochure.

Hardly 'imposter syndrome' or fraudulent. How about fickle?

My truck came with the full size *type 6* turbine wheel covers. I hated those things. 👿

They were always full of mud and/or ice. My wheels were always out of balance and a royal pain to clean.

Didn't take long to ditch them.

I've made many changes to the appearance of my truck over 35 years.

Some subtle and some not so subtle (like cutting fog lamps into the massive front bumper)

Maybe I'm not the person to ask.

:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I would say... obsessed? Or little cracked? Certainly dotty.

Know what? I realize it's been a long time that I am so "straight". When I was kid, I widely preferred my classic Matchbox that were like "normal cars" and didn't play a lot with the sport HotWheels chromed with flames and other jacked BigWheels I had.

Maybe I should consult a psy?

EDIT:

In fact, I am preparing for the next "closest to stock" trophy.

:nabble_smiley_evil:

:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I would say... obsessed? Or little cracked? Certainly dotty.

Know what? I realize it's been a long time that I am so "straight". When I was kid, I widely preferred my classic Matchbox that were like "normal cars" and didn't play a lot with the sport HotWheels chromed with flames and other jacked BigWheels I had.

Maybe I should consult a psy?

EDIT:

In fact, I am preparing for the next "closest to stock" trophy.

:nabble_smiley_evil:

Hey, 'you be you' and don't worry what anybody else thinks. (even your shrink)

We have members who can't leave anything alone, and we have members that seem like they want their truck at Pebble Beach! 🤣

We have members who pick and choose what they want (and expect)

Shaun has a thing for the most highly optioned early Bullnose... Cory slaps a Flareside onto a '90's chassis and Rick has an eclectic mix of 'period correct' and whatever floats his boat.

I say "don't worry, be happy!"