Bullnose Forums

BRICKNOSE 1988 F250 XLT Lariat SUPERCAB 7.3IDI MINI RESTORATION

Ray Cecil

Here is the biggest reason for the repaint. The truck was garage kept its whole life until I got it. Its been in and out of the barns. I really started to notice an increase in rust on the roof and hood in the last year. If I wait too long, I might have problems.

20221129_194431.jpg.2a4f6dbcb1567a5be944079b19b3bde0.jpg

20221129_194339.jpg.60f3dd7d1c8553b6b939d1693f74b448.jpg

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the biggest reason for the repaint. The truck was garage kept its whole life until I got it. Its been in and out of the barns. I really started to notice an increase in rust on the roof and hood in the last year. If I wait too long, I might have problems.

Yes, it is time to do something as that rust can cause problems.

On the TTB, I suspect someone sells a reverse shackle kit to use with an otherwise stock suspension, but doubt you'll notice enough difference to make it worthwhile. And if you did that then the bolt holes you have to drill are very unlikely to be where they need to be if you go with the 6" longer SuperDuty springs when you do a solid axle swap.

I believe the biggest difference was due to the 4x increase in articulation, which means the spring rate is 4x less. Yes, the RSK surely helped, but I doubt it by itself is worth doing.

Yes, if you have TTB's then you have the worst of all worlds. TTB's & coil springs are good, and solid axles and leaf springs are good. But TTB's and leaf springs are poor.

Just as Jim said, there's no travel. On Big Blue with new front springs I could just slide my pointer finger between the spring and the stop with the truck on the ground. All of 2" of travel, being generous.

I put a '95 D60 solid axle, 2005 SuperDuty springs, and a Sky Offroad Reverse Shackle Kit on it and wound up with almost 8" of travel and a MUCH improved ride. MUCH.

Gary, could I use stock springs and TTB with a reverse shackle kit? Or can it only be done with a Solid front axle?

Gary, he is asking if he can install the new springs he already has with a SKY kit....

But you are right, the 250 spring is very stiff.

If you look at their 2" '92-'97 OBS spring reverse shackle lift kit you will see far down the page under 2" Shackle Reversal that it can be used with stock '85-97 F-250 springs if you get longer shocks and a specific set of drop pivot brackets

"92-97 TTB F-250 – Leveling Purposes – Stock 85-97 F-250 Front Springs

10” Bilstein Shocks (You will need these longer shocks for the front, same size if you want to purchase new shocks for the rear as well)

Tuff Country, part # 20852 (TTB DROP BRACKETS)"

Also note they suggest that if you have a diesel to order the intercooler clearance version even if you don't have an intercooler at this time.

Edit: Yes there are plenty of pics of Bricknose trucks using this kit even though it says '92-'97.

Gary, he is asking if he can install the new springs he already has with a SKY kit....

But you are right, the 250 spring is very stiff.

If you look at their 2" '92-'97 OBS spring reverse shackle lift kit you will see far down the page under 2" Shackle Reversal that it can be used with stock '85-97 F-250 springs if you get longer shocks and a specific set of drop pivot brackets

"92-97 TTB F-250 – Leveling Purposes – Stock 85-97 F-250 Front Springs

10” Bilstein Shocks (You will need these longer shocks for the front, same size if you want to purchase new shocks for the rear as well)

Tuff Country, part # 20852 (TTB DROP BRACKETS)"

Also note they suggest that if you have a diesel to order the intercooler clearance version even if you don't have an intercooler at this time.

Edit: Yes there are plenty of pics of Bricknose trucks using this kit even though it says '92-'97.

Jim and Gary, thanks for the info. Will consider.

One other issue I've had is finding a bench seat cover for the 50/50 split back rest. Plenty of kits for the single bench, captains chairs and even ones with the folding arm rest center consol....but none for the one I have. My Backrests are in good shape but do have a small split. The drivers side lower bench.....im sitting on foam..haha

Jim and Gary, thanks for the info. Will consider.

One other issue I've had is finding a bench seat cover for the 50/50 split back rest. Plenty of kits for the single bench, captains chairs and even ones with the folding arm rest center consol....but none for the one I have. My Backrests are in good shape but do have a small split. The drivers side lower bench.....im sitting on foam..haha

Are you looking for a cover or reupolstery kit?

Headwaters has covers in an array of patterns for the '87-'91 50/50 seats with a number of outdoorsman type options...

Edit:. Marathon too... (They have some solid blues and greys that might be a nice match for your truck, in addition to the camo patterns)

While there is documentation of Big Blue's front end swap in the "Transformation" thread, the whole twisted, sorted story plays out over 21 pages here.

Headwaters has covers in an array of patterns for the '87-'91 50/50 seats with a number of outdoorsman type options...

Edit:. Marathon too... (They have some solid blues and greys that might be a nice match for your truck, in addition to the camo patterns)

While there is documentation of Big Blue's front end swap in the "Transformation" thread, the whole twisted, sorted story plays out over 21 pages here.

I want brand new vinyl to match the factory blue and pattern if possible. I do not want a cover that just slips on and hides the old vinyl.

I want brand new vinyl to match the factory blue and pattern if possible. I do not want a cover that just slips on and hides the old vinyl.

Yep...

You said "cover" in your post above, that's why I asked.

LMC have dash pads in stock these times.

Black.

You have to paint it.

Capture_dcran_2022-11-30__16.jpg.8032e8aaebb366876fb1e99afe104f9f.jpg