Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Seat Platform

Gary Lewis

Is a pun confessed half redressed?

:nabble_smiley_evil:

Cute! :nabble_anim_claps:

As for the conclusion of the seat test, I hope you aren't holding your breath as you are going to turn blue. This isn't going rapidly, and part of the reason for that is due to the mix of parts I have. For instance, the c/c bolt holes on the bucket seats Chad gave me out of his Bronco measure 13" f/r and 14" s/s. But the captains chairs I'm using measure 12 1/2" f/r and 14" s/s. And as you might suspect, the tracks that I have from the buckets and captains chair differ as well. So it is very confusing to me and I'm going to take some measurements on the tracks and record that as well.

But I was able to cobble together some pieces that let me bolt the driver's seat back in to see what I think of the extra 1" of height, and I like it. I can see over the hood better and it doesn't feel like I'm in a well. So I'm now planning on using the tracks on both seats.

However the question becomes which tracks to use, what holes to drill in them, etc. So the goal this afternoon is to suss that.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is a pun confessed half redressed?

:nabble_smiley_evil:

Cute! :nabble_anim_claps:

As for the conclusion of the seat test, I hope you aren't holding your breath as you are going to turn blue. This isn't going rapidly, and part of the reason for that is due to the mix of parts I have. For instance, the c/c bolt holes on the bucket seats Chad gave me out of his Bronco measure 13" f/r and 14" s/s. But the captains chairs I'm using measure 12 1/2" f/r and 14" s/s. And as you might suspect, the tracks that I have from the buckets and captains chair differ as well. So it is very confusing to me and I'm going to take some measurements on the tracks and record that as well.

But I was able to cobble together some pieces that let me bolt the driver's seat back in to see what I think of the extra 1" of height, and I like it. I can see over the hood better and it doesn't feel like I'm in a well. So I'm now planning on using the tracks on both seats.

However the question becomes which tracks to use, what holes to drill in them, etc. So the goal this afternoon is to suss that.

Got the driver's seat mounted temporarily. Wound up with it back 1/2" farther than I'd had it when in the last notch of the platform. At that setting the back of the headrest does touch the rear window when you lean back, but I may like it there. But if you move it forward one notch the headrest never touches. I'm not sure which notch I'll use, but there's more room now than there was, for sure, and I'm quite sure I'll like it.

But speaking of room, there's a whole lot more access to the storage behind the seat now. The platform has 5 3/4" of travel and the seat has 4 1/2", so that's a total of 10 1/4" and with the back of the seat folded it is wide open back there. I'm really liking that.

Drivers_Seat_Forward__Forward.thumb.jpg.957912e019de4bb297b8940f7c2ba0b2.jpgDrivers_Seat_Back__Back.thumb.jpg.f4a3af720d4028d69a3fa1c872da9aa8.jpg

Got the driver's seat mounted temporarily. Wound up with it back 1/2" farther than I'd had it when in the last notch of the platform. At that setting the back of the headrest does touch the rear window when you lean back, but I may like it there. But if you move it forward one notch the headrest never touches. I'm not sure which notch I'll use, but there's more room now than there was, for sure, and I'm quite sure I'll like it.

But speaking of room, there's a whole lot more access to the storage behind the seat now. The platform has 5 3/4" of travel and the seat has 4 1/2", so that's a total of 10 1/4" and with the back of the seat folded it is wide open back there. I'm really liking that.

Sounds good!

:nabble_anim_claps:

Sounds good!

:nabble_anim_claps:

Thanks, Jeff.

Nothing to see here, folks. But a little bit to report:

• Passenger Seat: Got the tracks drilled & mounted on the seat and the platform drilled to take the tracks.

• Console: Cut the cross piece of angle, welded it in, and mounted the risers. I'm using the same 3" tall risers I used before, even though my measurements said I only needed about 2 1/4". But the 3" ones were handy so I'll give them a try.

• Welding: Added a bunch of welding to the platform since it was only tacked together, but it started raining so I couldn't take it outside and dress the welds. So I'll obviously have some touch-up welding to do later.

• Fasteners: I think I've settled on using socket-head cap screws to hold the tracks to the platform, with nuts welded to the underside of the platform. That's because there's no room to get a socket on the top of a hex-headed bolt as they recess into the tracks. But there's precious little room to get an Allen wrench on the SHCS's, so I think I'm going to shorten the short leg of an extra Allen wrench and see if that works. But suggestions are welcome!

Won't work on it tomorrow as we have several things going on at church. And Thursday we are running errands. Maybe Friday?

Thanks, Jeff.

Nothing to see here, folks. But a little bit to report:

• Passenger Seat: Got the tracks drilled & mounted on the seat and the platform drilled to take the tracks.

• Console: Cut the cross piece of angle, welded it in, and mounted the risers. I'm using the same 3" tall risers I used before, even though my measurements said I only needed about 2 1/4". But the 3" ones were handy so I'll give them a try.

• Welding: Added a bunch of welding to the platform since it was only tacked together, but it started raining so I couldn't take it outside and dress the welds. So I'll obviously have some touch-up welding to do later.

• Fasteners: I think I've settled on using socket-head cap screws to hold the tracks to the platform, with nuts welded to the underside of the platform. That's because there's no room to get a socket on the top of a hex-headed bolt as they recess into the tracks. But there's precious little room to get an Allen wrench on the SHCS's, so I think I'm going to shorten the short leg of an extra Allen wrench and see if that works. But suggestions are welcome!

Won't work on it tomorrow as we have several things going on at church. And Thursday we are running errands. Maybe Friday?

Yep, got to work on it today. Basically I have the platform done, save for blasting and painting, but that's not going to happen until we try it out and see if we like it.

Today I realized a better way to do the fasteners for the tracks - tack weld a nut into the track an come up from below. But the two holes in the very front are very difficult to get to due to the angle blocking access. So I drilled 3/4" holes in them to allow a 3/8" drive 1/2" socket to reach up through to get to the nut.

Then I took the platform out and used the flap wheel on it to clean up the welds, took it back in to add more welds, rinse and repeat. And now I think I'm "there" and hope to get it installed tomorrow.

Here are some pics to document what I've done as I plan to add as-built drawings and other pics, maybe on its own page somewhere on the site.

Here's the platform:

Platform_Maybe_Done.jpg.0428ca623d48f020ce5e44b1b7d6ad10.jpg

Here's the platform with the console mounts added:

Platform_Maybe_Done_-_with_Console_Mounts.jpg.7d357155511caf2a327b4104f97ed84e.jpg

Here's the platform with the console added:

Platform_Maybe_Done_-_with_Console.jpg.9da56a4503f07385d5dfa88a6062eb42.jpg

This shows where I drilled the tracks at 12 1/2" to bolt to the seats:

Tracks_Drilled_At_12.jpg.60d88070d4d4116058453e5194bec6aa.jpg

On the left is one of the nuts tack welded in the track, and on the right is one of the 3/4" access holes through which a bolt and socket are to be inserted to go through the hole in the center and into the nut in the track:

Tacked_Slide_Nut.jpg.00e499e59349364b371c9c8ce92eb2e5.jpgSocket_Access_Hole.jpg.6722cc8cd3477d0cde176439656931a4.jpg

Yep, got to work on it today. Basically I have the platform done, save for blasting and painting, but that's not going to happen until we try it out and see if we like it.

Today I realized a better way to do the fasteners for the tracks - tack weld a nut into the track an come up from below. But the two holes in the very front are very difficult to get to due to the angle blocking access. So I drilled 3/4" holes in them to allow a 3/8" drive 1/2" socket to reach up through to get to the nut.

Then I took the platform out and used the flap wheel on it to clean up the welds, took it back in to add more welds, rinse and repeat. And now I think I'm "there" and hope to get it installed tomorrow.

Here are some pics to document what I've done as I plan to add as-built drawings and other pics, maybe on its own page somewhere on the site.

Here's the platform:

Here's the platform with the console mounts added:

Here's the platform with the console added:

This shows where I drilled the tracks at 12 1/2" to bolt to the seats:

On the left is one of the nuts tack welded in the track, and on the right is one of the 3/4" access holes through which a bolt and socket are to be inserted to go through the hole in the center and into the nut in the track:

Very nice!

Looking good Gary. Going to look good with paint.

Very nice!

Looking good Gary. Going to look good with paint.

Thanks, Dane. May actually powder coat it as I think it'll fit in the oven. We shall see.

I also need to make the rear spacers as I don't want to have washers stacked up. But until I get the angle of the seat perfected there's no reason to make the spacers. I'll want to powder coat the spacers, and I want to powder coat the bolts that go through them as their heads are quite visible when the seat goes forward, and shiny bolts look out of place.

So there's a bit more to do, but I'm wanting to get it installed so we can test it before the trip to the car show we are going to on the 25th.

Thanks, Dane. May actually powder coat it as I think it'll fit in the oven. We shall see.

I also need to make the rear spacers as I don't want to have washers stacked up. But until I get the angle of the seat perfected there's no reason to make the spacers. I'll want to powder coat the spacers, and I want to powder coat the bolts that go through them as their heads are quite visible when the seat goes forward, and shiny bolts look out of place.

So there's a bit more to do, but I'm wanting to get it installed so we can test it before the trip to the car show we are going to on the 25th.

Time for an update. Took Big Blue on a short trip today, with about an hour of driving each way. Here are the observations:

• Driver's Seat: I really like the new seating position. I can tell that it has my head a bit forward of where it was because I need to tweak the outside mirrors slightly. But oddly enough it feels like there is more room between the steering wheel and my chest. And, it feels like their is now even pressure on my rear end and thighs, where before most of the pressure was on my rear end.

• Passenger's Seat: Janey wants her seat tipped back like it was before. She said it feels like her legs aren't touching the seat, and believes that tilting it back will help - even though we'll have to slide the seat forward some to get the back to lean back properly. So I'll put the wedge back in that will raise the from about 3/4" of an inch and see what she thinks.

• Console: The height is good, but it could be moved forward an inch or so. However, that would get a drink pretty close to the shift lever, so we'll probably leave it where it is.

It is important that we get this right as we hope to take the truck to Santa Fe in late April so our son and I can do our overlanding trip. And that will have us sitting in those seats for several hours going and coming.

Time for an update. Took Big Blue on a short trip today, with about an hour of driving each way. Here are the observations:

• Driver's Seat: I really like the new seating position. I can tell that it has my head a bit forward of where it was because I need to tweak the outside mirrors slightly. But oddly enough it feels like there is more room between the steering wheel and my chest. And, it feels like their is now even pressure on my rear end and thighs, where before most of the pressure was on my rear end.

• Passenger's Seat: Janey wants her seat tipped back like it was before. She said it feels like her legs aren't touching the seat, and believes that tilting it back will help - even though we'll have to slide the seat forward some to get the back to lean back properly. So I'll put the wedge back in that will raise the from about 3/4" of an inch and see what she thinks.

• Console: The height is good, but it could be moved forward an inch or so. However, that would get a drink pretty close to the shift lever, so we'll probably leave it where it is.

It is important that we get this right as we hope to take the truck to Santa Fe in late April so our son and I can do our overlanding trip. And that will have us sitting in those seats for several hours going and coming.

Got the wedge in place on the passenger's seat. The factory wedges are 1 3/8" tall in the front and 1/2" in the rear, so they effectively raise the front of the seat by 7/8".

They bolted in nicely, but I had trouble lining up the rear bolts from the platform to the tracks, so I put studs in the tracks with Loctite blue. Went in easily that way.

In this pic you can see that the passenger's seat is angled back more than the driver's seat. But what is hard to tell is that it sits 3" farther forward when the top of the back hits the glass.

Passengers_Seat_In_With_Wedge.thumb.jpg.8d04df56caf3a44d220d0b9d336c50de.jpg