Bullnose Forums

Visor Decals

ckuske

Gary/John I'm not sure exactly which adhesive might be best to adhere these decals (stickers? I think of decals as having a clear background, like the old water slip decals you'd find in plastic model kits)

I suspect that the type of acrylic adhesive found on foil duct tape would be most permanent. It is definitely tenacious and heat resistant.

Thanks, Jim. The adhesive on foil duct tape certainly is tenacious and heat resistant. If you touch that foil to itself that piece is "done" and you might as well move on.

How would we figure out what that is?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Jim. The adhesive on foil duct tape certainly is tenacious and heat resistant. If you touch that foil to itself that piece is "done" and you might as well move on.

How would we figure out what that is?

I think you need to figure out the decal substrate, and if you can get that product with the adhesive already applied.

The decals shown above look like frosted aluminum or something.

Is this printed, painted, on paper or plastic?

If you must apply adhesive to a substrate that isn't available with it already 3M offers literally hundreds of transfer tapes (adhesive only, on a roll)

Some are indicated specifically for automotive interiors, but we need to know something about the texture and composition of the visor.

Thicker films to bridge textures, but can creep and start to show at edges.

Plastics come in a wide variety of surface energy.

I don't know how this is categorized or where the vinyl back of a sunshade falls in the spectrum.

3M have a support page for graphics and signage.

I'd probably start there.

There's a product catalog download available here.

I think you need to figure out the decal substrate, and if you can get that product with the adhesive already applied.

The decals shown above look like frosted aluminum or something.

Is this printed, painted, on paper or plastic?

If you must apply adhesive to a substrate that isn't available with it already 3M offers literally hundreds of transfer tapes (adhesive only, on a roll)

Some are indicated specifically for automotive interiors, but we need to know something about the texture and composition of the visor.

Thicker films to bridge textures, but can creep and start to show at edges.

Plastics come in a wide variety of surface energy.

I don't know how this is categorized or where the vinyl back of a sunshade falls in the spectrum.

3M have a support page for graphics and signage.

I'd probably start there.

There's a product catalog download available here.

Excellent info, Jim! Exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks!

So if John wants to get into this, or anyone else for that matter, they need to figure out what substrate to use and then see if it comes with an adhesive already supplied. If not, then look for a transfer tape to put on that substrate. :nabble_smiley_good:

Excellent info, Jim! Exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks!

So if John wants to get into this, or anyone else for that matter, they need to figure out what substrate to use and then see if it comes with an adhesive already supplied. If not, then look for a transfer tape to put on that substrate. :nabble_smiley_good:

Like I said above, I'd be looking for a suitable substrate with the adhesive already applied.

I don't know what that is or whether the matte silver is paint, ink or foil.

Maybe it would help to tag Randy since he worked in the signage and graphics trade?

3M has a huge selection and would definitely offer product fit for purpose. Getting it in tiny quantities is the issue.

They are far from the only one. You might also check Avery and other sticker related companies.

3M adhesive transfer tape section here.

There are products said to meet SAE J1756 (low fogging/off gassing for automotive interiors) and specs from the American big three automakers.

I would definitely try to avoid this separate adhesive film route if I possibly could.

Like I said above, I'd be looking for a suitable substrate with the adhesive already applied.

I don't know what that is or whether the matte silver is paint, ink or foil.

Maybe it would help to tag Randy since he worked in the signage and graphics trade?

3M has a huge selection and would definitely offer product fit for purpose. Getting it in tiny quantities is the issue.

They are far from the only one. You might also check Avery and other sticker related companies.

3M adhesive transfer tape section here.

There are products said to meet SAE J1756 (low fogging/off gassing for automotive interiors) and specs from the American big three automakers.

I would definitely try to avoid this separate adhesive film route if I possibly could.

I'm at a loss, too, as to what the substrate is/was. I will let those who are inspecting those things to chime in. And those who might want to take this task on to comment about how/if they'd like to do it. Looks to me like there's plenty of info here to let someone figure it out if s/he wants to.

Thanks!

I'm at a loss, too, as to what the substrate is/was. I will let those who are inspecting those things to chime in. And those who might want to take this task on to comment about how/if they'd like to do it. Looks to me like there's plenty of info here to let someone figure it out if s/he wants to.

Thanks!

This is my original from my 81 that finally slid off the visor.

100_2992_Originally_On_Left_Hand_Visor.jpg.607734222058fe81d6b9220ffe032b74.jpg

Thanks, Eddie. If we collected a bunch of those here then maybe someone would want to recreate them. :nabble_smiley_good:

Just as a follow-up, I got a response from Jim Osborn Productions saying that demand was not high enough to make an 80-86 version of the decal.

I'm not sure what the threshold is to make it worth their while, but I replied and said that the 80-86 trucks might be more popular than they realize.

Besides that, I asked if any tips could be given on how to make one on my own. The 87-90 sticker arrived yesterday, I could scan that in any make my own after a little tweaking in Photoshop or something similar.

I asked about paper, adhesive, etc. I'm not sure how much they are willing to share but I thought I'd ask. I said (and am truthful) in saying I'm not trying to make money, only complete my project.

Just as a follow-up, I got a response from Jim Osborn Productions saying that demand was not high enough to make an 80-86 version of the decal.

I'm not sure what the threshold is to make it worth their while, but I replied and said that the 80-86 trucks might be more popular than they realize.

Besides that, I asked if any tips could be given on how to make one on my own. The 87-90 sticker arrived yesterday, I could scan that in any make my own after a little tweaking in Photoshop or something similar.

I asked about paper, adhesive, etc. I'm not sure how much they are willing to share but I thought I'd ask. I said (and am truthful) in saying I'm not trying to make money, only complete my project.

Good approach, Chris. Let's see what they say.

Good approach, Chris. Let's see what they say.

I scanned the decal in, and played with it a bit. I think I was able to make a decent facsimile, but it needs a little more touch up. It looks doable though, now the hard part (printing)

20221115221015_001.png.eeefd82c789de7cdcd7b60444f5ffd5a.png