Bullnose Forums

Visor Decals

ckuske

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did see that Dave, good observation!

I am chalking that 87-91 up to an error on their part. I am certain there was a sticker like that originally on the visor from when I was a kid. I can't remember the exact verbiage etc, but the graphics and layout match what I remember. Of course, the picture on LMC isn't good enough for me to see if there's anything 87-91 specific on the sticker, but if/when I do an LMC purchase, I figure I can spring for a sticker and try it until I am proven wrong. In fact, I'd love to be proven either right or wrong on this one more than relying on a 25 year old memory :nabble_smiley_blush:

There is a reason LMC states that the AOD sticker is correct for 1987 - 1991. 1987 is when the manual transmission became a 5-speed, whereas the Bullnose generation was only a 4-speed.

So the 1987 sticker would have the number "4" on it in the manual transmission diagram. The specific one for the Bullnose generation would not.

The fourth gear + overdrive verbiage also shows up under the "Driving Modes" section.

The "AOD" notes on the sticker is the same.

Capiche?

I did see that Dave, good observation!

I am chalking that 87-91 up to an error on their part. I am certain there was a sticker like that originally on the visor from when I was a kid. I can't remember the exact verbiage etc, but the graphics and layout match what I remember. Of course, the picture on LMC isn't good enough for me to see if there's anything 87-91 specific on the sticker, but if/when I do an LMC purchase, I figure I can spring for a sticker and try it until I am proven wrong. In fact, I'd love to be proven either right or wrong on this one more than relying on a 25 year old memory :nabble_smiley_blush:

There is a reason LMC states that the AOD sticker is correct for 1987 - 1991. 1987 is when the manual transmission became a 5-speed, whereas the Bullnose generation was only a 4-speed.

So the 1987 sticker would have the number "4" on it in the manual transmission diagram. The specific one for the Bullnose generation would not.

The fourth gear + overdrive verbiage also shows up under the "Driving Modes" section.

The "AOD" notes on the sticker is the same.

Capiche?

That is an interesting factoid! But if the 87 trucks had a 5-speed, wouldn't the decal have a '5' and the Bullnose era have the '4' ? Just making sure I understand.

Now I have to decide if I put the decal on knowing it is wrong. Well, I said I wanted to know truth and I'm mostly glad about that haha.

Thanks again for the info.

That is an interesting factoid! But if the 87 trucks had a 5-speed, wouldn't the decal have a '5' and the Bullnose era have the '4' ? Just making sure I understand.

Now I have to decide if I put the decal on knowing it is wrong. Well, I said I wanted to know truth and I'm mostly glad about that haha.

Thanks again for the info.

It seems like there's a good cottage industry for getting those decals "right". And if someone were to do so then I'd bet LMC and the others would sell them.

4th gear is "OD" for the 1980 - 1986 trucks.

3 gears + overdrive = 4-speed.

5th gear is "OD" for the 1987+ trucks.

4 gears + overdrive = 5-speed.

AOD = 3 gears + overdrive. It is referred to as a 4-speed automatic.

By contrast, a C4 or C6 is called a 3 speed because all you get is 3 forward gears, no overdrive.

4th gear is "OD" for the 1980 - 1986 trucks.

3 gears + overdrive = 4-speed.

5th gear is "OD" for the 1987+ trucks.

4 gears + overdrive = 5-speed.

AOD = 3 gears + overdrive. It is referred to as a 4-speed automatic.

By contrast, a C4 or C6 is called a 3 speed because all you get is 3 forward gears, no overdrive.

Got it, thanks for the clear explanation. :nabble_smiley_good:

For those (still) interested, I think this reproduction decal (and lots of others) trace back to Jim Osborn Reproductions. He makes an 87-90 sticker, but no 80-86.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Sa4AfjhuEUdL2Gp6D119-tFoyWhihpI4/view?fbclid=IwAR3rCckrco3tm0usdSvqlCq7cCYymEziplQ1T0unQQ7bDV6CIAizyTYg0w8

I'm going to send an email and see what luck I have

Got it, thanks for the clear explanation. :nabble_smiley_good:

For those (still) interested, I think this reproduction decal (and lots of others) trace back to Jim Osborn Reproductions. He makes an 87-90 sticker, but no 80-86.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Sa4AfjhuEUdL2Gp6D119-tFoyWhihpI4/view?fbclid=IwAR3rCckrco3tm0usdSvqlCq7cCYymEziplQ1T0unQQ7bDV6CIAizyTYg0w8

I'm going to send an email and see what luck I have

I actually drew up and printed visor decals for my truck sometime back. These were decals not available for my truck. I printed them on adhesive paper and originally was quite pleased with them. I had intended to make them available but after a hot Summer here in Oklahoma, realized that they would not adhere. Surprisingly, even one of the decals that I purchased from one of the distributors failed to adhere. There are glues out there that I could probably utilize but I've not had the time to play with it. I'm open for suggestions though.

Visor_Decal_1.jpg.e41933e0a94080aa5f39e2e9dd35dfc2.jpg

Visor_Decals.thumb.jpg.5c36fcc0a54b23d42713ae7f681c31d1.jpgVisor_Decal_Installed.thumb.jpg.a2defc17591e4b3c3c9fd97e73b63ece.jpg

I actually drew up and printed visor decals for my truck sometime back. These were decals not available for my truck. I printed them on adhesive paper and originally was quite pleased with them. I had intended to make them available but after a hot Summer here in Oklahoma, realized that they would not adhere. Surprisingly, even one of the decals that I purchased from one of the distributors failed to adhere. There are glues out there that I could probably utilize but I've not had the time to play with it. I'm open for suggestions though.

John - If we could find the right adhesive and the right medium then those things would be sought after. I think Jim might be the guy to answer the adhesive question so I'm going to tag him.

John - If we could find the right adhesive and the right medium then those things would be sought after. I think Jim might be the guy to answer the adhesive question so I'm going to tag him.

Gary/John I'm not sure exactly which adhesive might be best to adhere these decals (stickers? I think of decals as having a clear background, like the old water slip decals you'd find in plastic model kits)

I suspect that the type of acrylic adhesive found on foil duct tape would be most permanent. It is definitely tenacious and heat resistant.

This thread got me to thinking about what’s in my trucks

The 84 4x4

387E4327-DDFD-40EA-BAF1-A174778F3C9F.jpeg.032fa4c33c0a1b123f2546e912dfc590.jpeg

The decal is very brittle and has slipped.

And on the other side.

D5EAA99E-86FD-4066-B8E5-D98F4CE9858F.jpeg.2b9a6b71950bd2c530820c7b5ebf2647.jpeg

The 86 rwd

6BCB259D-43BD-437F-A4B8-BAA2A6B28FF2.jpeg.fb7efbfbe3e9f0f38b00a1b988070a03.jpeg

Just standard decals

David