Bullnose Forums

Is There A Way To Seal A Steering Wheel?

Maybe bake it out in an oven?

Baking will only make it worse because you are degrading the polymer.

It's not like automotive paint, in that respect.

With paint you have an impervious metal shell with a given amount of solvents incorporated in the coating.

With a dash or steering wheel the structure itself is degrading from exposure to heat and UV.

It's age and environment that are causing the PVC and additives to become unhinged.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baking will only make it worse because you are degrading the polymer.

It's not like automotive paint, in that respect.

With paint you have an impervious metal shell with a given amount of solvents incorporated in the coating.

With a dash or steering wheel the structure itself is degrading from exposure to heat and UV.

It's age and environment that are causing the PVC and additives to become unhinged.

I'm with Jim - the plastic is breaking down and the plasticizers are escaping, making the surface sticky. However, I am hoping that Deren's Cerekote wipe will provide a cover long enough to be worthwhile. If I can get a few months out of a couple of coats then I'll buy the box of them.

And in preparation of that I wiped the wheel and horn pad down with isopropyl alcohol today. Several times. But that didn't leave the wheel as "clean" as I had hoped as it was still kind of sticky. So I then wiped it down with brake cleaner on a clean white paper towel and that turned the paper towel pretty dark. But even then cover still felt sticky, so I used a piece of 3M Scotch-Brite Hand Pad with brake cleaner on it and got more off.

So now the wheel and horn pad are not sticky and are ready for the wipe. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I'm with Jim - the plastic is breaking down and the plasticizers are escaping, making the surface sticky. However, I am hoping that Deren's Cerekote wipe will provide a cover long enough to be worthwhile. If I can get a few months out of a couple of coats then I'll buy the box of them.

And in preparation of that I wiped the wheel and horn pad down with isopropyl alcohol today. Several times. But that didn't leave the wheel as "clean" as I had hoped as it was still kind of sticky. So I then wiped it down with brake cleaner on a clean white paper towel and that turned the paper towel pretty dark. But even then cover still felt sticky, so I used a piece of 3M Scotch-Brite Hand Pad with brake cleaner on it and got more off.

So now the wheel and horn pad are not sticky and are ready for the wipe. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I try to avoid solvents because they will soak in and swell the plastic.

This just encourages more volatiles to migrate to the surface as it evaporates out.

Like I said, I start with Spray Nine which is a surfactant and a bunch of basic chemicals that will emulsify oils and grease.

Then the alcohol gets off any residue.

Neither of these is going to really soften or dissolve into the plastic.

I try to avoid solvents because they will soak in and swell the plastic.

This just encourages more volatiles to migrate to the surface as it evaporates out.

Like I said, I start with Spray Nine which is a surfactant and a bunch of basic chemicals that will emulsify oils and grease.

Then the alcohol gets off any residue.

Neither of these is going to really soften or dissolve into the plastic.

I'll try that next time, Jim. Thanks.

Deren - I got the Cerekote in the mail today. Thanks! I'm cleaning the wheel with degreaser and then I'll hit it with isopropyl and after that dries use the Cerekote on it. We shall see...

Here's a before and after. I prep'd the wheel with my Dawn/water mix, then straight water, then isopropyl, and that's what you see on the left. Then one coat of Cerekote on the right. I'll let that dry an hour and hit it again and then report back tomorrow.

Steering_Wheel_B4_Cerekote.thumb.jpg.c90245ccef1076cc8c52d9d80e7ecd95.jpgSteering_Wheel_After_1_Cerekote_Coat.thumb.jpg.0697a9cceec3221d4a18f048a7a27b46.jpg

Here's a before and after. I prep'd the wheel with my Dawn/water mix, then straight water, then isopropyl, and that's what you see on the left. Then one coat of Cerekote on the right. I'll let that dry an hour and hit it again and then report back tomorrow.

Exciting!! I hope it works out.

Exciting!! I hope it works out.

Thanks again!

I just put the second coat on, about an hour after the first coat. The first time you could feel the drag of the rubber under the wipe. This time it was slick instead of rubbery. My father would have said "As slick as snot on a glass doorknob." (I've often wondered how he knew. We didn't have any glass doorknobs in our house, and the only ones I remember in his parent's house were to the master bedroom. :nabble_anim_confused:)

I'd post a pic of the 2nd coat, or even the 1st coat an hour after applying it. But I can't tell the difference - if there is one. After an hour it still looked wet, but apparently wasn't 'cause it felt different from the first time.

I plan to take the truck out and fill the midship tank tomorrow to see what MPG we got on the last trip, and to see that the tank doesn't leak. So we'll know how the wheel feels after that. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Thanks again!

I just put the second coat on, about an hour after the first coat. The first time you could feel the drag of the rubber under the wipe. This time it was slick instead of rubbery. My father would have said "As slick as snot on a glass doorknob." (I've often wondered how he knew. We didn't have any glass doorknobs in our house, and the only ones I remember in his parent's house were to the master bedroom. :nabble_anim_confused:)

I'd post a pic of the 2nd coat, or even the 1st coat an hour after applying it. But I can't tell the difference - if there is one. After an hour it still looked wet, but apparently wasn't 'cause it felt different from the first time.

I plan to take the truck out and fill the midship tank tomorrow to see what MPG we got on the last trip, and to see that the tank doesn't leak. So we'll know how the wheel feels after that. :nabble_smiley_wink:

So now this is a test of time.

It is hands down the best product i have used for plastic trim. It is the only product I have used that worked. Leaves a dry shiny finish. It repels water and dirt. It had lasted over a year on my LR3.

I am evangelical about its properties!

So now this is a test of time.

It is hands down the best product i have used for plastic trim. It is the only product I have used that worked. Leaves a dry shiny finish. It repels water and dirt. It had lasted over a year on my LR3.

I am evangelical about its properties!

Yes, it is a test of time, meaning how long the finish lasts before the sticky comes back when it gets handled a lot. But even if it is only a few months instead of the advertised two years it'll be worth it.

The wipe will surely last for many applications as I put it back in its little envelope and sealed that in a zip lock baggie. So all it'll take to reapply is to clean the wheel with my soapy water mix, wipe down with isopropyl, and then wipe it with Cerakote. So if I get 4 coats/envelope and there are 10 envelopes in a box for $18 then that's less than $.50/coat.

We shall see. And thanks again!